Kenwood Sub sounding weird

nindo

Hi guys,

I have a 15 yr old Kenwood Sw100 powered sub woofer (100 W, 10" paper cone). Few days back had a party at home and (the sub was off) one of my friends turned on the sub when the AVR was at very high volume (positive decibel levels:eek:) and kaboom...it tripped.

since them every time i put it on it runs OK for some time and then its starts sounding as if some one is trying to shout with the mouth closed...:eek:

well, the driver does move but the sound is like - dub dub (!)...no base...

my guess is some part (capacitor etc) is blown off or its not able to take the load anymore....

can any electro-sound gurus out here help me out on fixing this...will take it as my first step into DIY..

thanks

Hi guys,

I have a 15 yr old Kenwood Sw100 powered sub woofer (100 W, 10" paper cone). Few days back had a party at home and (the sub was off) one of my friends turned on the sub when the AVR was at very high volume (positive decibel levels:eek:) and kaboom...it tripped.

since them every time i put it on it runs OK for some time and then its starts sounding as if some one is trying to shout with the mouth closed...:eek:

well, the driver does move but the sound is like - dub dub (!)...no base...

my guess is some part (capacitor etc) is blown off or its not able to take the load anymore....

can any electro-sound gurus out here help me out on fixing this...will take it as my first step into DIY..

thanks

the woofer is permanently damaged due to exceeding the excrusion level and its beyond repair. The only option is to get a replacement woofer for the kenwood if its available. You can open the woofer and check that from behind the woofer the cone must have moved out of the spider. I have got two Bolton PP cone woofers - 10" (60 watts nominal power). If you are interested then you can try them as replacement.

the woofer is permanently damaged due to exceeding the excrusion level and its beyond repair. The only option is to get a replacement woofer for the kenwood if its available. You can open the woofer and check that from behind the woofer the cone must have moved out of the spider. I have got two Bolton PP cone woofers - 10" (60 watts nominal power). If you are interested then you can try them as replacement.

:eek::sad:
thanks for your reply Hari...i will open it today and see what you have mentioned. if that is the case, this project of mine is already in the next stage even before i started it..! :lol:

will post the feedback...

Sorry, big mistake...the model us SW301 and not Sw100...any suggestions apart from the fact that the cone might have gone kaput welcome...

sorry for posting so late on this...(anyway this thread had turned blue- no recent views or posts.!)

couldn't take out the time to open the woofer...made a call and a guy who i know fixes car speakers took it to fix. got a call back from him couple of days back that he has fixed it. The problem was supposedly a transistor gone kaput. charged 500 for getting a new one and fixing it...cone and every thing else working fine. its back at home and kicking some decent bass..

do you think i paid a fair price for fixing it, if at all the problem was really a blown transistor?

thanks for replying (if I get any:p)

Relax friend.
You have paid much less than what you would have paid for a new woofer driver.
But next time( I hope you dont have a 'next time') take care that before the guy fixes anything ,ask for his diagnosis first and tell that you will get the required replacement part or at least ask for some time to think over further action.
You can always revert back to forum for further help.

This is not to say that you have paid too much. I am a doctor and dont know much about electronics but I think what I have suggested is a safer way.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back