Kindle

Got announced. Here is their front page, Amazing....

Dear Customers,

There are two types of companies: those that work hard to charge customers more, and those that work hard to charge customers less. Both approaches can work. We are firmly in the second camp.

We are excited to announce four new products: the all-new Kindle for only $79, two new touch Kindles Kindle Touch and Kindle Touch 3G for $99 and $149, and a new class of Kindle Kindle Fire a beautiful full color Kindle for movies, TV shows, music, books, magazines, apps, games, web browsing and more, for only $199.

These are high-end products the best Kindles weve ever made. Kindle and Kindle Touch have the most-advanced E Ink display technology available, and the 3G Kindle Touch adds free 3G wireless no monthly fees and no annual contracts. Kindle Fire brings everything weve been working on at Amazon for 15 years together into a single, fully-integrated experience for customers instant access to Amazons massive selection of digital content, a vibrant color IPS touchscreen with extra-wide viewing angle, a 14.6 ounce design thats easy to hold with one hand, a state-of-the-art dual core processor, free storage in the Amazon Cloud, and an ultra-fast mobile browser Amazon Silk available exclusively on Kindle Fire.

We are building premium products and offering them at non-premium prices.

Thank you for being a customer,

Jeff Bezos
Founder & CEO

The Kindle Fire/Kindle Touch pre-orders are only for delivery at a US address. Only the basic Kindle e-book reader (without the touchscreen) is available for shipping to India. Base price is 109$ as we will get the model without the special offers. With shipping and taxes it works out to 166.50$.

Currently I am using an iPad. It is good for surfing but too heavy and too distracting to be a good e-book reader. Given a choice between Kindle Fire and iPad 2, I would opt for the former as it is cheaper, lighter, has a dual core processor and Adobe Flash. My iPad 1 has a great look and feel, but the processor is relatively slow and not having Flash support is a big let down.

Weight is a crucial factor for me. I am primarily interested in an extra light e-book reader. At the moment I spend 6-7 hours (everyday) repeatedly surfing a few websites which I have bookmarked. I intend to reduce surfing time to less than an hour a day, and spend at least a couple of hours reading free classics on a Kindle. And spend the rest of my free time riding a bicycle which I acquired recently. The weather is going to be beautiful for the next couple of months. Blue skies, gentle breeze, a little chill in the air. Why waste the early winter sunshine days in front of a computer screen? :)

Kindle 6": 170g
Kindle Touch:213g
Kindle Fire:413g
iPad 2:601g

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back