Laptop for personal use

Your requirements are very minimal, so it is better to spend wisely. Recently both Mi and Honor have launched their laptops. Though Mi laptops are not good compared to their Chinese variants - it is still better compared to other laptops available in their price bracket here.

Meanwhile check Honor's as well, I personally feel their laptop is more VFM than Mi's comparatively. wait for few weeks and check detailed performance reviews:

Honor:

Mi:

Mi have a higher end variant as well.
The mi laptops were launched outside India and they had pretty good reviews. The mi laptops look like the vfm king now.

Ok I know amd is better but have no clue on their line up. For example in intel we know i7>i5>i3 and also 10gen is the latest and may be better then previous generations. So in AMD how it is classified.
Yeah but I haven’t come upon any laptop that has good reviews for battery back up. Even some of the expensive models have low ratings for battery back up.
Ryzen 7 Greater than 5 which is greater than 3. The 4xxx variants are the latest and you should choose those. Ryzen 5s which are ideally competitors to core i5 are faster than most core i7s. For running VMs also, AMD is better than Intel at the moment.

Check this video out:

Being 60% faster while offering better battery life while also being cheaper makes a pretty solid case for AMD, don't you think? Since you are spending a good deal of money, i sincerely request you to do some research on the AMD Vs Intel advantage right now. AMD has mopped up the floor with its latest generation of Ryzen CPUs in both desktop as well as laptop applications.

Also looking at inputs from other FMs regarding any advantage that Intel has over AMD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check this video out:

Being 60% faster while offering better battery life while also being cheaper makes a pretty solid case for AMD, don't you think? Since you are spending a good deal of money, i sincerely request you to do some research on the AMD Vs Intel advantage right now. AMD has mopped up the floor with its latest generation of Ryzen CPUs in both desktop as well as laptop applications.

Also looking at inputs from other FMs regarding any advantage that Intel has over AMD.
Sure I will check AMD

Get the cheapest model with a ryzen 7 4700h/4800h and add ram and nvme drives on your own. This way it will be more customised for your need and you wont be paying for thing that you dont need

The mi laptops were launched outside India and they had pretty good reviews. The mi laptops look like the vfm king now.

Actually Mi is also VFM product but the horizon variant looks more favoring than entry level models. My only disappointment is that it should have launched them with exact look and feel as its chinese equivalent.

And as for the work requirements of @Love4sound , I feel Honor's laptop will be more VFM model than Mi's entry level variant as they both are of same price point.

Actually Mi is also VFM product but the horizon variant looks more favoring than entry level models. My only disappointment is that it should have launched them with exact look and feel as its chinese equivalent.

And as for the work requirements of @Love4sound , I feel Honor's laptop will be more VFM model than Mi's entry level variant as they both are of same price point.
If you are lucky you can source the HP Elitebook 745 G6 with Amd Ryzen 7 with 16gig Ram and 256gig Mssd. It’s lightning fast and much better than the intel I 5’s hands down.

Last edited:
Did you check business-grade laptops ?
Lenovo has Thinkpad(T, P series etc) and Dell has Latitude, Precision (and Vostro too, but dont bother) and most IT companies use these in their work environment. You being in the IT business, hope you know better.

I bought Thinkpad Edge-430 in 2013, sold it in May, 2020. Never serviced, I even get 1hr battery usage at the time of selling.
My usage was browsing (my open tabs are more than 40), lots of overnight downloading movies (it has dolby gimmicks and it works fine too) and ran Ubuntu on Virtual box for programming stuff. Gaming was max CS. I rarely shut it down, always on sleep.

I upgraded to Dell Precision 3540 now.
Sometimes, I miss my thinkpad for its matte finish, screen and its keyboard/track pad. They are the best. PERIOD.

My point is business grade laptops have better build quality and last longer
I see my friend's Inspirons and HPs failing, it can be display/ports not working/ I even saw an overheating issue. Dont know about Asus or Acer

If, you can source the laptop from US, then, at 50K, you can get a great laptop.
I, actually missed a great discounted deal on "Lenovo Thinkbook", so "settled" for Precision

Few pointers-
1. Gfx card is really unnecessary if you are not into atleast moderate gaming/video editing stuff.
2. Check available upgrade ports for RAM and SSD (NVMe type). No SATA
3. Better to go for HDD version and upgrade to SSD after few months. Company equipped SSDs are very costly. Same with RAM chips.

Do check this site for your research : https://www.notebookcheck.net/
Check in benchmarks section and you can compare processors, etc

ATB for your search !!!

Did you check business-grade laptops ?
Lenovo has Thinkpad(T, P series etc) and Dell has Latitude, Precision (and Vostro too, but dont bother) and most IT companies use these in their work environment. You being in the IT business, hope you know better.

I bought Thinkpad Edge-430 in 2013, sold it in May, 2020. Never serviced, I even get 1hr battery usage at the time of selling.
My usage was browsing (my open tabs are more than 40), lots of overnight downloading movies (it has dolby gimmicks and it works fine too) and ran Ubuntu on Virtual box for programming stuff. Gaming was max CS. I rarely shut it down, always on sleep.

I upgraded to Dell Precision 3540 now.
Sometimes, I miss my thinkpad for its matte finish, screen and its keyboard/track pad. They are the best. PERIOD.

My point is business grade laptops have better build quality and last longer
I see my friend's Inspirons and HPs failing, it can be display/ports not working/ I even saw an overheating issue. Dont know about Asus or Acer

If, you can source the laptop from US, then, at 50K, you can get a great laptop.
I, actually missed a great discounted deal on "Lenovo Thinkbook", so "settled" for Precision

Few pointers-
1. Gfx card is really unnecessary if you are not into atleast moderate gaming/video editing stuff.
2. Check available upgrade ports for RAM and SSD (NVMe type). No SATA
3. Better to go for HDD version and upgrade to SSD after few months. Company equipped SSDs are very costly. Same with RAM chips.

Do check this site for your research : https://www.notebookcheck.net/
Check in benchmarks section and you can compare processors, etc

ATB for your search !!!
I second business laptops, but always think of the cost is justifiable. For people who keep updating every year it willl be too much money. For example, my work laptop is a hp elite book which is made out of metal and I thank my company for making me not carry heavy bricks everyday. But it’s around 1,5lakhs for a i5 configuration. I have very bad built squeaky Samsung laptop which I bought in 2013 at home. It’s i7 quad core and has a Samsung 850 pro ssd. But it beats my 2020 office laptop on literally everything. (I still haven’t found a reason other than lack of limited 1080p,60hz via hdmi on the Samsung still)But i don’t think the Samsung would survive travels a lot like the hp. The worst price to performance to my experience was a MacBook Pro which I bought in 2010. It had a unbelievable amount of problems despite its well built body.

Very difficult to find laptop with amd processors. Cam across this model and has decent reviews. Is 3rd gen Ryzen 5 3500U good enough?

Your requirements are very minimal, so it is better to spend wisely. Recently both Mi and Honor have launched their laptops. Though Mi laptops are not good compared to their Chinese variants - it is still better compared to other laptops available in their price bracket here.

Meanwhile check Honor's as well, I personally feel their laptop is more VFM than Mi's comparatively. wait for few weeks and check detailed performance reviews:

Honor:

Mi:

Mi have a higher end variant as well.
On paper they seem to be the best but i am normally a brand biased person and would prefer the big boys who have been in the business for long.

Seems like laptop business is in the sky high now. Due to the corona issue they are in very high demand. None of the dealers I contacted over the phone showed any interest in talking. They just cut the call saying no stock and don’t show any interest in asking what I want. I am going to wait for some time and buy. Decided to get a laptop with AMD Ryzen 5. Very difficult to find laptops with AMD processors and customising sucks in our country. Checked dell, lenovo and custom build is pathetic

I ditched HP and Dell long back and now using Acer since quite a while. Main reason being, to upgrade ram, hdd etc, on HP and Dells, you'd have to strip it down to the motherboard level to access the slots.

With Acer, everything is at the back, simply open a few screws, upgrade and all done in a few minutes at home. Great battery life too. Acer offers slightly better hardware for the price comparitively.

Do read up on the manual, some laptops come with 1 bank of ram soldered to the motherboard, so practically only one slot would be available for ram upgrade.

+1 for AMD. Haven't even bothered to look at Intel since a few years now.

My Ryzen 2700x PC handles everything I throw at it. Do keep in mind that AMD rips everything if you give it a good amount of fast ram.

I ditched HP and Dell long back and now using Acer since quite a while. Main reason being, to upgrade ram, hdd etc, on HP and Dells, you'd have to strip it down to the motherboard level to access the slots.

With Acer, everything is at the back, simply open a few screws, upgrade and all done in a few minutes at home. Great battery life too. Acer offers slightly better hardware for the price comparitively.

Do read up on the manual, some laptops come with 1 bank of ram soldered to the motherboard, so practically only one slot would be available for ram upgrade.

+1 for AMD. Haven't even bothered to look at Intel since a few years now.

My Ryzen 2700x PC handles everything I throw at it. Do keep in mind that AMD rips everything if you give it a good amount of fast ram.

Don't know why laptop rams are so expensive. Also a basic laptop comes with only 4 gb ram which is a joke considering Windows is a heavy OS & you have to use other applications too with antivirus running in the background . Its like running 100 meters with a heavy stone tied on your back. . Actually a laptop should ideally come with a standard 16 GB ram for basic usage.
AMD is very good & Vfm compared to an Intel, especially for games & Ryzen has made a good name in animation applications too.

I'd be very circumspect about buying any huawei products considering the current situation. A few of my colleagues alongwith some officers from the Govt. of India visited Huawei HQ in China a few years ago (i believe it was sometime in 2014-15) for verifying their accounts vis-a-vis Synchronous Digital Hierarchy equipment for an investigation regarding the same. I remember them mentioning how the their laptops started working overtime as soon as they connected to the wifi at the HQ. They couldn't get to the root of the matter and decided to shut off their laptops immediately. Some fishy spying business going on for sure by Huawei. Buy at your own risk.

Last edited:
So waited till big billion day sales in Flipkart and ordered the acer aspire 7. Couldn’t find anything better for 49990. Wanted the latest Amd laptops but starts at 65k for the same specs. Thanks every one for your suggestions which was helpful. One query though. No where I can find the Hdmi version. Checked acer site as well. Is it safe to assume it’s 2.0 or chances are that it’s 1.4

As per GTX 16 series specs , the HDMI support is upto version 2.0B. Below is the spec for the same.

Thanks and I already checked the nvidia site. In Flipkart many laptops with gtx16 series have Hdmi version 1.4b. I suspect there are two ways the Hdmi port are implemented. One is the Hdmi port is directly integrated with the nvidia card which will have 2.0 version and the 1.4b version laptops are having the Hdmi port integrated with the cpu.some even have mini display ports

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back