lcd or plasma

daj

I am planning to buy a tv for my childrens room.

Even though the room is very huge, but the maximum viewing distance will not be more than 8-9 feet due to the furniture layout. I have short listed the samsung 32" LCD LA32A550P1 ( FULL HD ( RS. 42k).

Today a friend of mine suggested that I go in for a plasma Panasonic 42PV8H ( Rs. 43 K) instead. I loved the picture quality but it has added to my confusion.

I have always liked the Idea of a plasma because I found the colours to be much more natural.

My children are very small hence their viewing will be more of movies, cartoon network & using their PS2 etc.

But I dont know whether the 42" will be good for the eyes at 8-9 feet.

I have also ordered a Yamaha Rx-V 663 AVR with the Mission M34i towers, Mission M3 dsi ( dipolar surrounds), the Mission M3c1i ( center) & Mission M3as( active sub)- The whole config costing approx 80k

KIndly advise me on the TV.

Regards.

Daj

Please do a search on this forum, this topic has been dealt with on posts before and you will find plenty of information (though it may not be on these specific models)

cheers

hi this is babu

can u plzz tell me where is plasma Panasonic 42PV8H available for Rs. 43 K.

Dear Daj

Welcome to the forum ... !!!

Sir, sorry, but this may feel you bitter, but please search the forum, as there are already many posts regarding the same, you will get all your details out there...

Secondly 42" Screen @ 8-9fts distance is too less, and will effect the eyes a lot...
The minimum for 42" is atleast 11fts..

he he and once more i must disagree with mridul....i watch my 42" plasma from 7.5 feet away and it is perfect...no strain whatosever.....it is also the perfect distance for a 42" plasma as per the THX specifications....and all the the other usual other formulae tat are suggested....including 2 X screen diagonal....

Dear Daj

Welcome to the forum ... !!!

Sir, sorry, but this may feel you bitter, but please search the forum, as there are already many posts regarding the same, you will get all your details out there...

Secondly 42" Screen @ 8-9fts distance is too less, and will effect the eyes a lot...
The minimum for 42" is atleast 11fts..

he he and once more i must disagree with mridul....i watch my 42" plasma from 7.5 feet away and it is perfect...no strain whatosever.....it is also the perfect distance for a 42" plasma as per the THX specifications....and all the the other usual other formulae tat are suggested....including 2 X screen diagonal....

Psyco...

Hmm... i know, you watch from that distance...
And i was awaiting your post on my comments...hehe

Bro, we cant argue with each other, and specially on terms of the THX or DTS or bla bla bla...

But, 11 fts are ideal in terms of normal viewing, of a 42" Screen...

Please go ahead and BLINDLY buy the Panny 42" plasma. The PV8D has been ranked by every conceivable reviewer as the best budget TV there is across the LCD/Plasma spectrum . If bulk of your viewing is SD (Standard Definition - Cable, Set Top Box, DVD etc) then NOTHING can come remotely close to the Panny - other than the Pioneer Kuro (1.5 - 1.75 lacs).

8-9 feet is perfect viewing distance. In fact they even go on to say that the effect of Full HD vs the 720p signals is not evident beyond a distance of 5 feet on a 42" screen. You will be more than happy with it.

BTW - I have the same TV (the slightly different model - the 80D) and I find absolutely no strain what so ever at the distances mentioned.

BTW 43k is a brilliant price for it - can you tell us where you are getting this at - I have a truck load of ppl who are in the market for this and will be interested to know!:)

Today a friend of mine suggested that I go in for a plasma Panasonic 42PV8H ( Rs. 43 K) instead. I loved the picture quality but it has added to my confusion.

I have always liked the Idea of a plasma because I found the colours to be much more natural.

Hi:

Another vote for Panasonic PV8. Stunning for SD. Stunning for DVD. Stunning at 8-9 feet.

I have it. I find it just stunning.:)

Panasonic PV8. Just go ahead with it, you will not regret it. My viewing distance is about 11 feet and the pictures are a sight to behold even Divx rips and SD DVDs. I have seen very little HD content on it though (since not much is available anyway). Its a great buy and truly very good VFM.

BTW where are you getting it for 43K? I surely would like to pick up another one at that cost. Its available at 53 to 54K in Hyderabad and that too with negotiations.

Hi

I am trying to understand your setup here. Did you buy the 80K worth of TV & HT for your children? If so, its overkill. Depending on their viewing habits (movies cartoons et) I would go with a standard def TV since even if they abuse it, it wont be a big waste.

I know my answer is neither LCD or Plasma. If it was for you (or any other adults), I suggest Plasma over LCD provided you do not burn in the panel. The con for LCD is blurring during fast sport scenes like cricket.

Hope this helps

daj
i personally prefer plasma over the lcd due to colours being more natural. but if its for cartoons / gaming etc then people generally prefer the brighter and higher contrasts of the lcd

in terms of distance and it affecting the eyes the size of the tv doesnt matter. its the brightness that does and the lcd will imo be worse in that context

Even though the room is very huge, but the maximum viewing distance will not be more than 8-9 feet due to the furniture layout. I have short listed the samsung 32" LCD LA32A550P1 ( FULL HD ( RS. 42k).

My children are very small hence their viewing will be more of movies, cartoon network & using their PS2 etc.

But I dont know whether the 42" will be good for the eyes at 8-9 feet.

I have also ordered a Yamaha Rx-V 663 AVR with the Mission M34i towers, Mission M3 dsi ( dipolar surrounds), the Mission M3c1i ( center) & Mission M3as( active sub)- The whole config costing approx 80k

Regards.

Daj

Based on your choice of LCD vs Plasma, its your percentage of usage like if it is more of movies then go for plasma or if its going to be more of gaming then stick to LCD to avoid burn in issues. Also, consider the room lighting when deciding since plasma requires a much darker room than a LCD.

Viewing distance depends on what resolution of movies you are going to view. Because, the more resolution you can keep minimum distance from your TV since there are very minimal pixels and other picture noise for a full hd video material. The distance varies accordingly to your video resolution like 1080p, 720p amd 480p. For DVD quality you need to keep the recommended maximum viewing distance to avoid visibility of pixelation. For the same 1080p you can sit nearer and yet enjoy the full movie experience. As per THX certification, for a 1080p resolution the minimum viewing distance is 5.6ft on a 50" screen. The thumb rule is 1.4 x your screen width but this again depends on the resolution of the movies you are going watch on your TV. I watch movies (480p to 1080p) at distance of 10ft on my 46" Samsung LCD.

Ultimately, your eyes have to be the judge in deciding the comfort of viewing distance without any strain and not missing on the movie details.

Last edited:
Burn in has ceased to be a problem for modern Plasmas. The latest Plasmas are not susceptible to the problem. But people - as a matter of abundant caution - still talk of 'burning it in ' for the first 100 hrs or so. After that its pretty much freakout time! There are people who have tried a static image for hours and found no permanent damage!

Go ahead and get your your Plasma. No LCD can come close to a plasma for colour, contrast , and motion rendering! Pioneer Kuro has been rated the best TV in the world consecutively year after year - and its a Plasma!

Plasma will rule - here are some trade figures..

DisplaySearch Reports Stronger Than Expected Plasma Panel Growth as Q308 Shipments Rise 37% Y/Y to 4.2M Units - DisplaySearch

Burn in has ceased to be a problem for modern Plasmas. The latest Plasmas are not susceptible to the problem.

if you play games consistenly on a Plasma you will still burn in. If this had ceased to be a problem then why do we have an all white or color pattern pan options in plasmas from every manufacturer.

I agree that its been addressed but its not completely off.

Also if you leave an image for lengths such as couple days, you wont see burn in. I am talking about many days in succession such as when playing games or watching cartoons with bands next to the picutre. This will cause burn in.

if you play games consistenly on a Plasma you will still burn in. If this had ceased to be a problem then why do we have an all white or color pattern pan options in plasmas from every manufacturer.

I agree that its been addressed but its not completely off.

Also if you leave an image for lengths such as couple days, you wont see burn in. I am talking about many days in succession such as when playing games or watching cartoons with bands next to the picutre. This will cause burn in.

"white or color pattern pan options in plasmas from every manufacturer." - Sorry dint get this - What exactly are you talking about- the Colour and white balancing options?

Does anyone really play games for a couple of days at a stretch? - without ever switching the TV off or ever changing a channel? Is the image of any game on Plasma's totally static? Even if it is its no problem as shown in the below test ....

How Many Plasma Users Experience Burn-In?
In fact, not many. Recent technologies make modern plasma displays much more resistant to permanent image retention. A research sponsored by Pioneer Electronics demonstrates that leaving a static image for 48 hours did cause a clearly visible image retention on all three of their test plasmas, but running a movie loop for 24 hours removed all signs of the after-image.
Extract from - What is plasma burn-in, and how to fight it

Apparently the last articles on Burn in's are over two years old! So it can be said its a thing of the past. Both Panasonic and Pioneer have built in technologies that make it next to impossible to burn your panels. Panasonic calls it 'Pixel wobbling' and Pioneer calls it 'Pixel Orbiting' . Their respective websites will give you more details on it. Remember - image retention is not to be confused with permanent burn. Google it and you will get your answers. Anyway here is Cnet's take on it...

Plasma burn-in: Seven things you need to know - CNET Reviews

So is it still possible ??... perhaps.. but one will have to try really really hard!!:p

Last edited:
Well i am surprised to see that so much stress is being made on plasma burn in, but no talk is happening on lcd viewing angle's and motion blur that comes when faster images are displayed,

Anyone who has a lcd set at home or has been viewing one will tell u about the same,

Well the plasma lcd discussion is a never ending one -

For screen sizes below 40" lcd's are good, Lcd's are also good where u want to watch Tv in very brightly lit areas or for gaming .

For a movie lover, who wants cinema hall picture quality and video , plasma is the best, it is viewed in the dark, produces real life pictures and the colors come to life, plasma is best for home theaters and screen sizes above 40"

This should help you in making a decision, Panasonic has an excellent model Pv8 do check that out before making any buying decision.

Another common thing which i have noticed personally is that most of the shopkeepers don't have much knowledge on plasma and its settings, they will normally turn up the full brightness and contrast in a brightly lit showroom and play hd content to show people how good the lcd is,

Turn of the lights and calibrate the plasma and play the same content on it, you will understand the entire scenario.

Above views expressed are my own, in the end you should buy what looks best to you when u audition the same, but ensure to view SD content and not HD, as u wont be watching much HD on the set

Sujit - My reply was to your statement about "latest plasmas not susceptible to the problem". yes, its hard to burn in but it could happen. I have seen guys playing network games for couple days and see the borders burned in as they are static for almost the entire time.

Re: the actual names of options, my Samsung has the following

The "white" option fills the screen with a white field while the "scrolling" option creates a black-to-white ramp that scrolls slowly across the screen. These remove burn-in in sections of screen.

The Pixel Wobbling and Orbiting is to prevent burn in not remove it. Samsung's terminology for thsi is Pixel Shift which shifts the image 2 pixes each time.

I know its hard to burn in these days even after couple days of static watching but its worthwhile to keep in our minds.

Dushie - I think I covered the blurring aspect in my first post. Re: viewing angles, again, this is hard to say esp. since the newer LCDs and even DLP TVs have been workingn on this issue a fair bit and have suceeded in ensuring the pic is visible upto 40 degrees off axis.

Sujit - My reply was to your statement about "latest plasmas not susceptible to the problem". yes, its hard to burn in but it could happen. I have seen guys playing network games for couple days and see the borders burned in as they are static for almost the entire time.

I am not going to risk my PV80 to find out - will take your word for it!:) 'Hardcore' gamers (the kinds that like to play for days on end) are better of buying LCD's then.

Re: the actual names of options, my Samsung has the following

The "white" option fills the screen with a white field while the "scrolling" option creates a black-to-white ramp that scrolls slowly across the screen. These remove burn-in in sections of screen.

Is this prevention technology - or cure? I have not seen this in Panasonic models. A doubt here - does this remove 'burn-in' or 'image retention', because I read the former is permanent.

The Pixel Wobbling and Orbiting is to prevent burn in not remove it. Samsung's terminology for thsi is Pixel Shift which shifts the image 2 pixes each time.

I know its hard to burn in these days even after couple days of static watching but its worthwhile to keep in our minds.

My point - once you prevent it the question of removing it does not arise! Prevention - as the saying goes - Is better than cure! Hence my conclusion that it is very difficult for the current generation Plasma to suffer burn in under anything but the most extreme use of static images - especially straight out of the box - an environment that will not exist in 99.99999% of applications.

Having said that, you are right - It is worth keeping in mind! I rejected Big-TV for their silly solid static logo (as against the Tatasky and Airtel's transparent one). In addition I am following the initial 100-150 hours run in recommendation to the 'T' - in fact I have doubled that recommendation and run it in for over 300 hours! Definitely an overkill considering I do not game AT ALL - but a little bit of caution never hurt anybody -right!?!

But the PQ is absolutely brilliant! No LCD can come close to it - esp for SD signals!

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back