HT setup in a very small room

jonam_mafia

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I am currently in the process of upgrading my home entertainment system, and I find myself in a bit of a dilemma. I have a very small room under construction that measures 9 feet in length and 6 feet in width. Presently, I am using an LG 55 B8 OLED paired with a Samsung Q950A soundbar, but I am considering upgrading to either a 77-inch or 65-inch G3 OLED.

My primary concern is whether it's feasible to have a dedicated home theatre setup like a 7.1.2 system in such a confined space, or if it would be wiser to stick with the Samsung soundbar considering the 6 feet room width. Additionally, the width of the wall is precisely 6 feet, and the 77-inch G3 OLED is 5.5 feet wide, leaving me uncertain about the spatial constraints. The viewing distance would be approximately 8 feet.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or recommendations on whether it's practical to accommodate a dedicated speaker setup given the limited space. Furthermore, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on whether I should opt for the 77-inch G3 OLED or stick to the 65-inch option, considering the room's size and the available wall width.

Thank you in advance for your valuable input and suggestions.

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I am currently in the process of upgrading my home entertainment system, and I find myself in a bit of a dilemma. I have a very small room under construction that measures 9 feet in length and 6 feet in width. Presently, I am using an LG 55 B8 OLED paired with a Samsung Q950A soundbar, but I am considering upgrading to either a 77-inch or 65-inch G3 OLED.

My primary concern is whether it's feasible to have a dedicated home theatre setup like a 7.1.2 system in such a confined space, or if it would be wiser to stick with the Samsung soundbar considering the 6 feet room width. Additionally, the width of the wall is precisely 6 feet, and the 77-inch G3 OLED is 5.5 feet wide, leaving me uncertain about the spatial constraints. The viewing distance would be approximately 8 feet.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or recommendations on whether it's practical to accommodate a dedicated speaker setup given the limited space. Furthermore, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on whether I should opt for the 77-inch G3 OLED or stick to the 65-inch option, considering the room's size and the available wall width.

65" screen should be ideal. The bigger screen is always better but then confirm that you need not move your head to see everything on the 77"screen. Your eyes should move to cover everything on the screen, not your head.
5.1.2 would be my choice for that room.
If you are the only one watching then the rear speakers can be positioned at your ear level. Otherwise the rear speakers should be positioned 1-1.5 feet above ear level when seated. This is for bookshelves/ satellites as rear sorrounds. For other types the positioning varies.
A sorround setup is feasible in your case and vastly superior to a sound bar.
All the best.

Hello everyone,

For your room size sound bar is ideal, if still want to go for HT setup ,go with 5.1.2 ,( Marantz NR series with satellite speakers )

65" screen should be ideal. The bigger screen is always better but then confirm that you need not move your head to see everything on the 77"screen. Your eyes should move to cover everything on the screen, not your head.
5.1.2 would be my choice for that room.
If you are the only one watching then the rear speakers can be positioned at your ear level. Otherwise the rear speakers should be positioned 1-1.5 feet above ear level when seated. This is for bookshelves/ satellites as rear sorrounds. For other types the positioning varies.
A sorround setup is feasible in your case and vastly superior to a sound bar.
All the best.
Thank you for the suggestion. The only thing that bothers me is the potential regret after purchasing a 65-inch G3, thinking that a 77-inch would have made a big difference. My main concern is not the viewing distance since 8 feet with 4K is a decent distance for a 77-inch TV. The issue is with the wall being only 6 feet wide and the TV being 5.5 feet, making me wonder if it would create any issues when wall mounting.

For your room size sound bar is ideal, if still want to go for HT setup ,go with 5.1.2 ,( Marantz NR series with satellite speakers )
Thanks for your inputs. Is the soundbar recommendation due to the 6 feet width ? bottleneck for the surrounds, or is there any other specific reason?

Thank you for the suggestion. The only thing that bothers me is the potential regret after purchasing a 65-inch G3, thinking that a 77-inch would have made a big difference. My main concern is not the viewing distance since 8 feet with 4K is a decent distance for a 77-inch TV. The issue is with the wall being only 6 feet wide and the TV being 5.5 feet, making me wonder if it would create any issues when wall mounting.
Wall mounting 77"tv shouldn't be a problem.
There is sufficient space either side for the hand to hold the tv and mount it.
It's better you contact service center or installer to verify before purchase.

Thanks for your inputs. Is the soundbar recommendation due to the 6 feet width ? bottleneck for the surrounds, or is there any other specific reason?
Sound bar is compact and best suit for small room , I am using Yamaha Sound bar for 10 X 10 room and HT for 12 X 15 room .

We can use Sound bar or HT , preference is ours, HT also will suit for small room ( already informed that Marantz NR series with satellite speaker is ideal one )

Hello everyone,

In short, I would totally support plonking a 77", but how will you place the LCR speakers?

In short, I would totally support plonking a 77", but how will you place the LCR speakers?
My heart says 77, but my mind reminds me that mounting it on the 6-foot-wide wall will be a challenge. If I opt for a dedicated home theater setup, I plan to use small satellites positioned right under the TV, similar to the placement of a soundbar. That's why I wanted to know how feasible it is to use dedicated HT speakers, as I've heard that you need ample distances between surround speakers to get the proper surround effect, and my room's width is only 6 feet.

Attachments

• rough layout.PNG
    rough layout.PNG
    7.3 KB · Views: 31
My heart says 77, but my mind reminds me that mounting it on the 6-foot-wide wall will be a challenge. If I opt for a dedicated home theater setup, I plan to use small satellites positioned right under the TV, similar to the placement of a soundbar. That's why I wanted to know how feasible it is to use dedicated HT speakers, as I've heard that you need ample distances between surround speakers to get the proper surround effect, and my room's width is only 6 feet.
6 feet is small and I would suggest comprise on tv size and go for a 5.1 set up. If you opt for 77inch you won’t have space to place ur LCR. If you don’t mind on compromising on audio go with 77 and a good sound bar with some basic room treatment

I would whole heartedly recommend a wall mountable 5.1.2 HT setup with small satellites and a sub. Something like the below Qacoustics Q7000i that I thoroughly enjoyed for many years. It lacked in nothing ( Even the sub was wall mountable). Was excellent and hard hitting for both movies and music. I've since moved to a bigger space, but the Q7000i remains the best 1.2L I ever invested in audio in more than a decade of the chase.

As regarding the screen size, me and my daughter recently saw a 85 inch in reliance digital from a distance of 10 feet. And felt it was too big for us. I have a 65 inch at 10 feet at home. So i feel maybe 65 is best at 6 feet. Best to visit RD and pull their sofa to exactly 6 feet and watch for 30 mins as a test audition.

Go for a 65" tv, put satellite speakers all around. The room will have crazy reflections so think about some acoustic treatments.
Few absorption panels on the side/back walls & put few bass traps as this room will be super reflective & boomy in bass..

Cheers.

I would whole heartedly recommend a wall mountable 5.1.2 HT setup with small satellites and a sub. Something like the below Qacoustics Q7000i that I thoroughly enjoyed for many years. It lacked in nothing ( Even the sub was wall mountable). Was excellent and hard hitting for both movies and music. I've since moved to a bigger space, but the Q7000i remains the best 1.2L I ever invested in audio in more than a decade of the chase.

As regarding the screen size, me and my daughter recently saw a 85 inch in reliance digital from a distance of 10 feet. And felt it was too big for us. I have a 65 inch at 10 feet at home. So i feel maybe 65 is best at 6 feet. Best to visit RD and pull their sofa to exactly 6 feet and watch for 30 mins as a test audition.
My viewing distance will be 8 feet, but the problem lies in the fact that the wall width is only 6 feet. Thank you for your suggestion and mostly i ll go with 65.

Go for a 65" tv, put satellite speakers all around. The room will have crazy reflections so think about some acoustic treatments.
Few absorption panels on the side/back walls & put few bass traps as this room will be super reflective & boomy in bass..

Cheers.
Sure. I will do some acoustic treatment. Thank you for the suggestion!

6 feet is small and I would suggest comprise on tv size and go for a 5.1 set up. If you opt for 77inch you won’t have space to place ur LCR. If you don’t mind on compromising on audio go with 77 and a good sound bar with some basic room treatment
Yes, mostly I'll stick to your recommendation. Thank you!

If you are going to use satellites under the TV in the layout you have attached, I would still vote for 77" + 5.1.2.

Alternatively, I would also suggest you explore placing the 77" on the long wall, push your couch up the rear wall. In this scenario, you will: 1. get better front stage separation, 2. be able to choose better-than-satellite quality speakers for the LCR, where the L and R can go on the sides of the TV.
All you will need then will be a little bit of room correction + treatment.
Cheers.

If you are going to use satellites under the TV in the layout you have attached, I would still vote for 77" + 5.1.2.

Alternatively, I would also suggest you explore placing the 77" on the long wall, push your couch up the rear wall. In this scenario, you will: 1. get better front stage separation, 2. be able to choose better-than-satellite quality speakers for the LCR, where the L and R can go on the sides of the TV.
All you will need then will be a little bit of room correction + treatment.
Cheers.
I will definitely go with the 77 G3 option if I am able to mount it on the 6-feet-wide wall. I will check with the LG service engineers to assess if mounting will be a challenge or if they can handle it. If they confirm they can mount it, then the plan is to proceed with the 77-inch option. Thank you for the suggestion!

I have mounted my 75" TV on my 6.5 feet wall. No problems with mounting. The actual mounting is done on a 1 foot or so square bracket. My viewing distance can be anywhere from 6 feet to 10 feet, depending on what I am doing.

The speakers are a problem though. I have my speakers on stands and for watching movies, I have currently placed my speakers on it's side !!!! Not much impact on audio that my old deaf ears can discern.

I would suggest that you plan for a 75" TV and carefully plan your TV placement and your speaker placement. It is possible to do it in a 6 feet space with sufficiently good results.
20231102_075241.jpg

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back