LCD/PLASMA option under 80k for Living area?

superbhikari

Hi Guys
Planning to add a TV to the living area. The viewing distance is 15 feet.
1) Is 42" TV sufficient as per the viewing distance? Or should go for 50"/55" Plasma TV?

2) Which will be best option under 80k for TV? Shortlisted the following so far -

a) Panasonic Plasma 42" - P42G10D - 70k
b) LG Plasma 50" - LG50PQ70 vs Samsung Plasma 50" 50B550A? - 70k
c) VU 55" LCD - Pricing?
d) VU 46" Intelligent LCD TV - 80k
e) Sony LCD 46V550A vs Samsung 46B550A vs LG Scarlet 2.0 47" ? 80-90k

Please feel free to add any other decent option based on the requirements. Also share your experience, if any, for the above mentioned options.

Last edited:
Imo for 15' distance, 46" will be the right size. Any bigger may show pixelation for SD content like cable etc and any smaller may bea little small for 15" distamce.

Given that you sd viewing is higher u can consider even the hd ready models of samsung ie 4 series or sony s series

For full hd I would recommend samsung 46B550A which should be around your budget if u can locate the right dealer in your city giving the best discount

Cheers

If you're going to be playing games on it I don't think plasma is the right option.

Also I'm not too impressed with video processing of VU, though the prices are comparatively low.

Better stick with a Sony, Samsung or LG LCD.

I see you have not considered the LG Scarlett 2.0 LCD. It comes in 47 inch with Full HD, bluetooth, USB, 100hz etc and has a MRP of 1 lac, though market price should come close to your budget.

For a viewing distance of 15 feet, u need to have a minimum of 50" screen
anything below that will be small.

As your budget is 80k, would recommend to check out LG PQ 70 50" it is a good model and within your budget, you can also take a look at 50" sammy plasma.

Don't consider at anything below 50" if the viewing distance is 15 feet.
Also at that viewing distance it will not make a difference whether it is a HD ready or a Full HD set.So check out the 50" models in the market and buy the one whose picture quality you like the most and which fits your budget.

Guys, it's very hard to find demo of LG & Samsung Plasma TVs in my town and hence will request you to give me clear picture which one is better of the two. That will help a bit for sure. I already shortlisted both the options but which is the best or what are the pros n cons of both?

For sheer features, it is hard to beat the LG PQ70 plasma TV. It is also launched only last month, so you can be sure of having the latest technology.

It looks good as well, and that is also important if you're going to have it in your living room!

I don't know of anyone on this forum who has bought the latest Sammy plasma, but people have been going for the LG PQ70's, and have given good reports, so I think that is the one you should go for.

Guys, it's very hard to find demo of LG & Samsung Plasma TVs in my town and hence will request you to give me clear picture which one is better of the two. That will help a bit for sure. I already shortlisted both the options but which is the best or what are the pros n cons of both?

Update -

Just looked at your first post once again.
If it's an open area which is very brightly lit, please do not go for the plasma.
Plasma's work wonders in low lit and dark areas.

For living room or very brightly lit areas i would recommend LCD.

So if your living room is very brightly lit and there is lot of light would recommend to go for LCD.

Does watching SD content with a tubelight on in the living room also fall under the category of 'brightly lit'?

I am just trying to understand the 'brightly lit' reference here.

Does watching SD content with a tubelight on in the living room also fall under the category of 'brightly lit'?

I am just trying to understand the 'brightly lit' reference here.

well depends on the position of the light source. even if a tv reflects ,u can to some extent compensate by increasing the brightness,but if the image consists of dark regions or shadow areas or videos shot in night ,u won't notice any of the shadow areas or information that was supposed to be seen in that night shot,due to the glare/reflection.u will also no longer be able to see those deep blacks it will more like grey due to the reflections,so no point in having tvs that show deep blacks.
even in lcds some glossy screen do reflect but they still are better then plasma in a brightly lit room,since they are far brighter,secondly the screen is pitch black when they are switched off so they are again less prone to reflections,compared to plasma which is like grey/dark grey.

I'm not sure if you have already come across this article in Audioholics; it confirms my belief, for picture quality, Plasma is still better than LCD.

LCD Specs Routinely Inflated Plasma Still Better — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Follow the shoot out link where you can find many important aspects such as viewing angle, contrast etc are tested scientifically and described in detail.

personally I would recommend Panasonic over any other brands, unless someone has enough money for a Pioneer.

I'm not sure if you have already come across this article in Audioholics; it confirms my belief, for picture quality, Plasma is still better than LCD.

LCD Specs Routinely Inflated Plasma Still Better — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Follow the shoot out link where you can find many important aspects such as viewing angle, contrast etc are tested scientifically and described in detail.

personally I would recommend Panasonic over any other brands, unless someone has enough money for a Pioneer.

well i read that article one month ago ,they tested a 2007 lcds in 2009:rolleyes: ,but the article misleades by saying its a 08 model :indifferent14:but the fact is it was a 07 lcd i.e XBR4(X350A india) with the older BE pro engine and older panel.
the 08 models where the xbr6,xbr7,xbr8(Z450A, X450A in india).the newer 08 vs 08 plasma would have been a fair comparision ,lcds like xbr8 can easily hold up against the best of the plasma like pioneer kuro.

Last edited:
Got the LG 50PQ70 Plasma today for 62k after going through all options. Was more interested in LG 47LH90 LED LCD (88k). But after going through all +/- and usage requirements finalized the plasma for the living area.
Now the second step to set up a HT for the living area. Will create dedicated thread in the relevant section for that.
Thanks to all fellow members for valuable inputs.

If you're going to be playing games on it I don't think plasma is the right option.

Also I'm not too impressed with video processing of VU, though the prices are comparatively low.

Better stick with a Sony, Samsung or LG LCD.

I see you have not considered the LG Scarlett 2.0 LCD. It comes in 47 inch with Full HD, bluetooth, USB, 100hz etc and has a MRP of 1 lac, though market price should come close to your budget.

Input lag and superior motion resolution are important considerations for gaming . Video processing in today's LCDs (especially this year) result in huge amounts of input lag. As video processing in LCDs continue to improve this is only expected to worsen. A lot of gamers can easily tell the difference between a severly lagging TV and one that doesn't.
I could tell the difference of just a few fps from my earlier PC gaming days. There is nothing like giving a gamer a little bit of that extra room and that extra bit of movement. Ultimately it is the difference between winning and losing or better still , winning better.
This is where Plasmas still do good. Though care must be taken when gaming for multiple hours together given burn in on plasmas it should not be a major factor.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back