System setup and evolution

That is a long story in itself !
to keep it short
1. If you are importing anything over 50 Kgs it will be considered as "Cargo" that means it will need a IEC (import export certificate). Fedex will not take it further
2. you need to bring in a C&H agent for the clearance and handling who apply for paperwork on your behalf.
difficult to explain on a post but PM me and ill give you details if you want to know anything specific

Thanks Rajiv..want to thank you on adding so much info on Tannoys in the forum..all this has helped in understanding the nature of this driver family and hence forming an opinion !

More than welcome Amit ! its been a long time

Thanks Arjun, I've commissioned my new home with a music listening space cum mini hall (yes, this is true) and gym area. Think speakers like these Tannoys will suit this large room. Shall PM you and check. Thanks.

Last edited:
For a large room you should seriously consider an active setup ie if you are starting from scratch. Depending on the budget you could go for something like an ATC which would be amazing..
That with a good balanced Preamp would be heaven

Last edited:
Nearly missed this thread :eek:
It was a chance discovery. I had seen a offer for a Tannoy GRF memory speaker in Singapore and requested the Official Singapore division of Hifivision ie Dr Bass to see it and check it out before i start dreaming on those lines.
He's the Official Tannoy Division too, I think. But now there are two :)

Dr Bass's advice must have made you feel entirely easy with the purchase, but the packing, despatch and import must have taken nothing short of real courage. Congratulations!

I do agree that the Tannoys are really wonderful to look at and touch, even before one listens. Timeless design and craftsmanship. Beautiful.

And I love that the cover comes with a lock and key! :eek:hyeah:

Is that unique to Tannoy?

that is a Quaint touch :) . Kensington and above have a Brass knob this has to be screwed to the grill to pull it off. when not use there is another area behind the speaker to store the same.
Actually Dr bass helped in getting it shipped too ..

Am attaching pics.. it was a quickie hence did not use a tripod.

Room is 14 x 11 with these along the short wall with a door opening to a balcony.

Distance between the tweeters 5'9" and from middle of speakers to seating position 7'8". toed in to cross over before seating position
3.5 ' from rear wall and around 2'8" from sidewalls (tweeter axis)

Since the speaker cable is stretched and suspended have kept a stand just to remind me not to trip on them...no other audio reason.
k6ea.jpg

single speaker..slightly warmishly coloured Photo ;)
vjo7.jpg

Arjun, all I can do is smile :). I know exactly how you feel, almost like what heliumflight said, "kid in a candy store". Really, there are so many magic moments awaiting you. Put on some Kishore and Rafi, some RD Burman, some Zakir Hussain or Pt.Ravi Shankar and every time you know there is one more genre added to your favourites list. In the end everything will be your favourite. How good is that for a speaker to be able to do for an audiophile!!

And the peace of mind that you never "have to" upgrade your speaker again is priceless. You know there are better speakers out there, in fact better Tannoys but you dont miss them no matter how conservative an audiophile hat you put on. And it sounds like a no compromise design, for a price which people spend on cables alone. How I wish it was represented by an active dealer like ARN systems!

Dont forget to adjust your seating height just at the tweeter level. It is easy not to do that because everything sounds great even without being on the axis but once you listen at the tweeter height it is a spell:)

Am attaching pics.. it was a quickie hence did not use a tripod.

Room is 14 x 11 with these along the short wall with a door opening to a balcony.

Distance between the tweeters 5'9" and from middle of speakers to seating position 7'8". toed in to cross over before seating position
3.5 ' from rear wall and around 2'8" from sidewalls (tweeter axis)

Since the speaker cable is stretched and suspended have kept a stand just to remind me not to trip on them...no other audio reason.
k6ea.jpg

single speaker..slightly warmishly coloured Photo ;)
vjo7.jpg

Just one word to describe your speaks, "Magnificent!!"

On another note, in line with your experience, what is the most recommended spacing between speakers for the best imagery? Also, what is the frontage preference, straight on or a slight slant towards the listener?

Just one word to describe your speaks, "Magnificent!!"

On another note, in line with your experience, what is the most recommended spacing between speakers for the best imagery? Also, what is the frontage preference, straight on or a slight slant towards the listener?

This is very very speaker specific as it depends on the dispersion characteristic of the tweeter.all speakers have a recommended placement and best is to go for that. Each speaker I owned had a different optimal setup

Typically at least 5 feet distance between the speakers but that can vary again. What is more important is space behind the speakers and the walls. Some speakers need lots of space and others need to be near the walls

Toeing in is also very speaker dependent. On my earlier Merlin's the toe in of 10 % with the tweeters firing in into the ears and ear between the tweeter and woofer made a fantastic soundstage and I had a protracted to set it up. And here the toe in angle crosses over before my face.

It's when space becomes a constraint ie really small rooms that all rules start to get broken but there is some lateral thinking is needed !

Last edited:
congrats Arj in my early hifi days I happened to hear through Tannoy Monitor Gold 15" diy speaker some songs from Superulina (I remember) amp was Diy Tube wow I could count the drum beats. So hope the same latest combination of yours will be great to hear from your previous setup. Enjoy the music. Best wishes.

Congrats arj
The 'gentlemen' look gorgeous. Im sure they sound the same.Enjoy........
Cheers

Hi Arj,
congrats on getting a pair of very nice looking speakers. They are beautiful. What is the function of the golden plate with holes in it? I hope they have enhanced your vinyl experience to a new level.
Thanks.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back