LG and Sony 84-inch ultra-high definition (4k resolution) TV.

The 1,700000 INR for a TV seems ridiculous in first glimpse. I have another view here, LG's 84 inch 4k TVs are premium TVs. And, it is very true that these are not for everyone. I don't think companies are going to drop their prices very soon because there is hardly 4K content so definitely only premium consumer will buy these. When it comes to price then definitely it is simple "NO" for general consumers, but when it comes to TV nobody will deny to put these beautiful giants to their living rooms.

The 1,700000 INR for a TV seems ridiculous in first glimpse. I have another view here, LG's 84 inch 4k TVs are premium TVs. And, it is very true that these are not for everyone. I don't think companies are going to drop their prices very soon because there is hardly 4K content so definitely only premium consumer will buy these. When it comes to price then definitely it is simple "NO" for general consumers, but when it comes to TV nobody will deny to put these beautiful giants to their living rooms.

Read my earlier post - compare to 100 inch panasonic these TVS are quiete cheap!! won't be surprised if thieir (small) outsourced batch will get fully booked!!:eek:hyeah:

Had a 5 minutes look at Sony UD tv. It looked and sounded amazing. Sadly no native 4K content was on demo. Some full HD videos were upscaled. Looked nice but not jaw dropping given the crappy content. One thing I noticed there was hardly any pixelation in the dynamic mode and I was standing just 2 feet away.

There were no consumer bookings yet but the salesman mentioned a few corporate bookings were done directly with Sony center.

Also saw the Toshiba 4K tv. Don't recollect the size but I guess it was 46" glasses 3D. What a waste!

Anyone buying one of these beauties should go 60" or higher. Smaller sizes doesn't do justice to the resolution.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Well it is just a concept clash right now. Not only is the price too high, the content is also not widely available, although sony has done a lot already.
But anyway even full hd content is not fully available and to be honest I do not really see how 4K can make Saas Bahu serials better.

Tell me which other TV maker has their own 4k cameras has their own movie studios that produce movies using their own 4k cameras and even screen movies on their own 4k projectors .The answer is none.Which is why Sony has the complete 4k eco system.They are even going to launch a consumer grade camcorder with 4k capability.

Please check your facts ,there are certainly lots of production companies only a few are bigger then Sony such as Time warner and Warner Bros but so what.
I have seen quite a lot of movies mentioning at the bottom "a sony pictures company ",so all those movies which where shot in film can be remastered to 4k.The fact is Sony is going to bundle the movies from their own movie library and all those movies which where shot in film can be remastered to 4k.

They have been produced with different cameras so what,but the point to this thread is native digtal 4k content is shot on Cinealta 8k or 4k models by Sony own production companies part of their 4k Eco system.

Do we have any other alternative 4k flat screen displays in production now.

Right thats hell of a competition currently:rolleyes:
And BTW that IBM production monitor which was made by a joint venture b/w IBM and Chimei Optronics was swallowed by Sony in 2005.

These arguments have turned the thread direction into another segment; beside this point of view whether Sony has eco-system or not, I just ask you one simple question by arguing or saying this that Sony has eco-system and can produce their own 4k movies by using their own 4k cameras - would you like to say they have higher chances of selling their 4k TVs?

When a tv company is also offering 4k content then it would be a more attractive option,so i do believe that they can sell more 4k tvs.

In my opinion, only one company alone cannot produce so much 4K content so that it can be enough for 4K TV owners. The best thing is only the upscaling feature in both the TVs, so any content can be watched on Ultra HD TVs.

LOL i could understand if we were living in Europe but in India where the bandwidth is like gold dust, 4k tv is just not practical in the near/medium term. TV companies tried it with 3d to stop there bleeding but did not succeed too much and now they are talking about 4k TV. OLED TV is the future but first needs to be become viable for the manufacturers to produce and affordable for consumers to but. Everything else will be a stop gap arrangement. Its laughable when people say Sony is going to provide the content? So let me ask will Sony provide daily soaps and live cricket/soccer matches at native 4k? When 40" is the mainstream size in India for which a good 720p content is more than enough to do justice. 4K ''OLED'' is an option though for sizes above 65" but for that 4k transmission needs to be a reality which we know is not going to happen any soon. One of the main reasons 3d has failed to take off was that neither the broadcasters nor the studios are ready to produce/broadcast the content in 3d.

Last edited:
You have to understand that we in India didn't have HD channels for a really long time but that didn't stop us from buying HDTVs did it.

As far as 3d its was doomed from the beginning with cumbersome glasses.Most 3d tv owners bought a 3d tv not because of watching 3d but because 3d tv are also the mid to high end models which have superior 2d.

But 4k is different ,now people can actually buy bigger tvs even if there living room or viewing distance is small.Even if the movies are still mastered in 1080p blu ray the tv is going to upscale it ,sure it won't be as good as native 4k but i can bet that if you two tvs of same size one being 4k and other being a 1080p tv ,the 4k tv will look the better of the two.

I bet within 4 years 4k will be norm just like how there are 3d tvs.

I must say that 4k technology is only for ultra premium markets this year but yes 4k is definitely not the future.

I saw in this discussion most of you agree that 3D is just a failed gimmick and companies are emphasizing now on 4K, but as I noticed all the 4K TVs have 3D feature. I think it is better to relate 4K TVs with resolution instead of 3D. What do you think folks?

When a tv company is also offering 4k content then it would be a more attractive option,so i do believe that they can sell more 4k tvs.

I agree that options are more but they aren't giving it for free I believe; are they? And secondly today I guess major concern behind buying this expensive 4k TV is their content and what if they are producing?? The big question is how they will broadcast 4K content?

I agree that options are more but they aren't giving it for free I believe; are they? And secondly today I guess major concern behind buying this expensive 4k TV is their content and what if they are producing?? The big question is how they will broadcast 4K content?

Some movies bundled with the the tv are free but there is no reason why they should give it for free.You don't get free HD movies when you buy a HDTV.

Broadcast of 4k is still a long way ,just like HD it will also some day become mainstream.We have also yet to see any professional broadcast 4k cameras (only expensive movie cameras are 4k).

Just to be clear ,in a 4k tv even when you play 1080p content it will still look better then a similar sized 1080p tv.

:lol:

I heard similar jokes initially when ps3 was released but the reality was very different where consoles like wii and xbox360 sold more content and in turn made more money making ps3 look like a big fat joke.

QUOTE]

No offense..but your comments sound like you had bad experiences with Sony earlier. The comment on sony by others was just a fact on what they have, and how they are trying to build a ecosystem to support the new technology.

We all know how Blu ray came into the picture replacing DVDs, hugely supported by Sony and its pS3 (PS3 is the most preferred blu ray player across the workd currently) which helped in creating the current HD ecosystem. Obviously, others joined in too once the format war was over.

Also on PS3, in case you dont know, it has now has surpassed Xbox 360 in worldwide console sales with one less year of operation than Xbox. We all know how it was written off at the launch due to price, but the current sales just shows that an ecosystem of good content, exclusives, features (blu ray, free online gaming) ultimately helps a manufacturer in the long run.

In any case, these are just facts and opinions expressed in this open forum...so its better if we stick to that without becoming aggressive to express our views.

Cheers.

Some movies bundled with the the tv are free but there is no reason why they should give it for free.You don't get free HD movies when you buy a HDTV.

Broadcast of 4k is still a long way ,just like HD it will also some day become mainstream.We have also yet to see any professional broadcast 4k cameras (only expensive movie cameras are 4k).

Just to be clear ,in a 4k tv even when you play 1080p content it will still look better then a similar sized 1080p tv.
Sony might have said they are giving 4k titles for free but if you go and compare their TV price with LG similar UDTV model youll notice the difference. Now it depends whether youd like to call it for free or whatever.
AND, secondly Id say yes 1080p content look way-better but my friend what is the fun behind buying it till the time we dont have enough native 4k content to watch at lower prices. That simply means manufacturers and producers must concentrate on production of 4k content.

Sony might have said they are giving 4k titles for free but if you go and compare their TV price with LG similar UDTV model youll notice the difference. Now it depends whether youd like to call it for free or whatever.
AND, secondly Id say yes 1080p content look way-better but my friend what is the fun behind buying it till the time we dont have enough native 4k content to watch at lower prices. That simply means manufacturers and producers must concentrate on production of 4k content.

I bought a HD lcd way back in 2005 where was the content here in india, so did that stop me or the thousands who bought a lcd/plasma back then.

I bought a HD lcd way back in 2005 where was the content here in india, so did that stop me or the thousands who bought a lcd/plasma back then.
I havent said people wont buy ultra HD TVs and the reference you have given somewhere is quite ineffective as LCD and plasma were indeed costly at the time of their launch but they were not as expensive as current UDTVs (INR 17Lakhs). Im just saying that these monsters need to focus on their 4k content production the same way they are focusing on their TV production.

Same 4k content and 4K TV discussion is going on this forum on different thread follow it-http://www.hifivision.com/television/36642-4k-tv-4k-content-chicken-egg-problem.html

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back