LG and Sony 84-inch ultra-high definition (4k resolution) TV.

ajay_kr

While LG fails to launch their oled TV by end of 2012 as committed by them in 2012 CES and now its seems like that may launch sometime in first quarter of 2013. However, in 2012 they launched their 84" 4K UDTV and unfortunately LG was not the only one; at the same time Sony also introduced their similar 84-inch monster in market.

Here is the beginning of battle between these two electronic giants for their sales of gigantic ultra high definition screens.

Both brands TV are 4k rated means having (3840 x 2160p) resolution which is almost four times more than full HD resolution i.e. (1080p).

The biggest threat in buying these TVs for consumers is their price tags; they cost INR-17,00,000; tremendously expensive :eek: :eek:!

Now put forward your views in regards to my thread, and are these TVs are really worth buying:confused:

People who can afford a 17 lac television fall into different category altogether!

I doubt I will ever see these sets at a place different than the showroom until & unless there is a massive price drop or a cheaper technology which competes & can handle 4K resolutions is available.

For me 17 hundred thousand for a television is simply not understandable. May be its only a war of concepts rather than targeting sales!

My 2 cents!

Prices will fall as the technology matures. The sad part is that we will still be watching our regional channels in SD.

Rs. 17 lacs for a TV!! Never at that price and I am definitely not going to become "Crorepati" soon !

But price is a different perspective.

So far, only 1080i HD channels and at the max 1080p Bluray discs are available and consumers are limited to watch this much resolution of content only. Hence an 1080p HDTV seems perfect to give justice to HD contents available so far for consumer use.
I had bought an 1080p Sony HDTV at the start of last year, considering I am going to watch HD contents on HD channels, Bluray etc which are now available.

IMHO I will never consider buying a 4K TV until there are actual 4K source (4K movies, shows etc.) available for consumer use.

The 4k tvs of smaller size will be significantly cheaper.At large sizes like 84" even if its just 1080p will cost quite a bit and 4k makes it even more expensive.

As per Sony in the CES interviews they have significant demand for 84" tvs the people who typically buy these tvs as per them are celebrities,nba/football players to movie directors.

But unless there is 4k content it won't become mainstream.

People who can afford a 17 lac television fall into different category altogether!

I doubt I will ever see these sets at a place different than the showroom until & unless there is a massive price drop or a cheaper technology which competes & can handle 4K resolutions is available.

For me 17 hundred thousand for a television is simply not understandable. May be its only a war of concepts rather than targeting sales!

My 2 cents!
Thats what exactly I think; I mean how many people are there who can actually afford this expensive Ultra HD TV? Though I am quite impress with the technology but still till date there isn't any 4k content available for them in industry. So again here is a big question for Sony and LG are they planning for producing 4k content as well?

Sony already announced the 4K distribution system with 10+ 4K blockbuster movies for its 84" 4K TV. LG and Samsung cannot do much as they are not in the production business.

Sony makes the 4K cameras, the movies as well as the TVs. So when it comes to content they have the upper hand.

Sony is giving a free Sony xperia tablet and a free 4k movies and a 4k media streaming device with their 84" version ,although this currently only applies to USA

Of all the manufacturers Sony is the only company that as a full 4k eco system . Sony owns lots of movie making companies which include
"Sony Pictures Entertainment Columbia Pictures Sony Pictures Classics Screen Gems TriStar Pictures Triumph Films Destination Films Stage 6 Films Affirm Films Sony Pictures Television Adelaide Productions Culver Entertainment Embassy Row The Minisode Network 2waytraffic Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Sony Wonder Sony Pictures Family Entertainment Group Sony Pictures Digital (Sony Pictures Imageworks Sony Pictures Animation) Syco TV Syco Film Sony Pictures Mobile Sony Pictures Studios Crackle Aniplex A-1 Pictures

So they will be releasing 4k movies shot in their own Sony CineAlta F65 camera the best camera out there,as well as re-mastering movies recored in film to 4k.Two out of three theaters in the world which are 4k ready has a Sony 4k projector.So they are pushing 4k more then any other company.

But in india there is No 4k distribution service even if you some how use a proxy server and subscribe to 4k service in the USA, we don't have the broadband capable of handling 4k.
I guess in india we may only get to see 4k in movie theaters which we might already have.
Sony may also launch a 4k BD-Rom which will require multiple layer or discs per movie,this again can be done only after the Blu ray association agrees on this new format.

The Sony TV is already in the store in China. I saw one. Details were to die for.

From a distance of 3 feet I was unable to see pixelation. That's 4k resolution for you.

Price wasn't bad either. Just a shade under 15 lacs.

The 4k tvs of smaller size will be significantly cheaper.At large sizes like 84" even if its just 1080p will cost quite a bit and 4k makes it even more expensive.

As per Sony in the CES interviews they have significant demand for 84" tvs the people who typically buy these tvs as per them are celebrities,nba/football players to movie directors.

But unless there is 4k content it won't become mainstream.
Manufacturers might have understood the consumer demand and I guess considering their 84-inch ultra-HD TV was launched in 2012 at such a huge price, LG has kept that in mind while unveiling two more smaller sizes of 4k TVs in recently passed CES and that are in 55 and 65.

Sony already announced the 4K distribution system with 10+ 4K blockbuster movies for its 84" 4K TV. LG and Samsung cannot do much as they are not in the production business.

Sony makes the 4K cameras, the movies as well as the TVs. So when it comes to content they have the upper hand.

:lol:

So which means LG and Samsung can reach out to all the other production houses who will make the most of the 4k content in the future and uses other better camera's made by many other manufacturers? i see LG and Samsung and other manufacturers have a double upper hand.

I heard similar jokes initially when ps3 was released but the reality was very different where consoles like wii and xbox360 sold more content and in turn made more money making ps3 look like a big fat joke.

LG has found 300 homes for its $20K, 84-inch, 4K TV in Korea so far

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/17/lg-has-found-300-homes-for-its-20k-84-inch-4k-tv/

Sony is giving a free Sony xperia tablet and a free 4k movies and a 4k media streaming device with their 84" version ,although this currently only applies to USA

Of all the manufacturers Sony is the only company that as a full 4k eco system . Sony owns lots of movie making companies which include

Sony giving away the failed xperia tablet(worth 200$) is as useful as giving a box of tooth picks.

There is no 4K eco system unless many production houses start remastering or releasing their movies in 4K, also those movies produced by Sony are not exclusive content for Sony devices, anyone who has to money to buy that content can get it no matter he owns a Samsung or LG or Panasonic or TVS Suzuki.

There are a hundred big production houses and Sony(with all its tiny production subsidiaries) probably produces 2% of the movies being made in Hollywood, there are much bigger production houses in Hollywood like WB and so on who can bring in so much more 4k content, so this statement Sony has few 4k upscaled video today means they have an upper hand is moot.

Other nonsense such as Sony CineAlta F65 is the best camera(not) is zero important in a thread where people are discussing about 4k televisions.Many of sony produced movies are not even shot using their cinealta camera they are rather shot using Arri and other camera's, so the sony eco system totaly fails here.

Most importantly all these 4k televisions sold by these manufacturers are LCD and that's already becoming a dinosaur and bound to perish in a couple of years so buying a big 4k LCD now is the worst thing to do.

Also Barco has had a 56 inch inch 4k LCD on sale since 2007 and IBM has had a 22 inch 4k monitor on sale since 2001.

Last edited:
Manufacturers might have understood the consumer demand and I guess considering their 84-inch ultra-HD TV was launched in 2012 at such a huge price, LG has kept that in mind while unveiling two more smaller sizes of 4k TVs in recently passed CES and that are in 55 and 65.
Did they announce the price of these smaller sized Ultra HD TV screens as well? Or any information about their release?

5-6 years back pansonic introduced (around ) 100 inch plasma ..for 25 lakhs!!( correct me if I am wrong) . It was launched in Mumbais AV show.
From a well respected Hi Fi / HT dealer and installer I come to know that Panasonic sold a decent number ( not quoted) in Mumbai .. and those were days 5-6 years back!!
There will be market for 4K TVS , smaller - at this price - even in India

Well good to know information that you have posted, but first thing I need to ask like you mentioned Sony already announced the 4K distribution system with 10+ 4K blockbuster movies for its 84"" 4K TV may I know in which form they are distributing such 4K content to their consumers?

Furthermore, honestly speaking I dont see any close future of 4k cameras in market because as of now 4k TVs have to fight a lot in order to reach the demand of mass production. And currently, if a person is not interested or able to purchase 4k TVs so thinking or discussing about 4k camera is worthless.

Sony giving away the failed xperia tablet(worth 200$) is as useful as giving a box of tooth picks.

There is no 4K eco system unless many production houses start remastering or releasing their movies in 4K, also those movies produced by Sony are not exclusive content for Sony devices, anyone who has to money to buy that content can get it no matter he owns a Samsung or LG or Panasonic or TVS Suzuki.
Tell me which other TV maker has their own 4k cameras has their own movie studios that produce movies using their own 4k cameras and even screen movies on their own 4k projectors .The answer is none.Which is why Sony has the complete 4k eco system.They are even going to launch a consumer grade camcorder with 4k capability.

There are a hundred big production houses and Sony(with all its tiny production subsidiaries) probably produces 2% of the movies being made in Hollywood, there are much bigger production houses in Hollywood like WB and so on who can bring in so much more 4k content, so this statement Sony has few 4k upscaled video today means they have an upper hand is moot.
Please check your facts ,there are certainly lots of production companies only a few are bigger then Sony such as Time warner and Warner Bros but so what.
I have seen quite a lot of movies mentioning at the bottom "a sony pictures company ",so all those movies which where shot in film can be remastered to 4k.The fact is Sony is going to bundle the movies from their own movie library and all those movies which where shot in film can be remastered to 4k.

Many of sony produced movies are not even shot using their cinealta camera they are rather shot using Arri and other camera's, so the sony eco system totaly fails here.
They have been produced with different cameras so what,but the point to this thread is native digtal 4k content is shot on Cinealta 8k or 4k models by Sony own production companies part of their 4k Eco system.

Most importantly all these 4k televisions sold by these manufacturers are LCD and that's already becoming a dinosaur and bound to perish in a couple of years so buying a big 4k LCD now is the worst thing to do
Do we have any other alternative 4k flat screen displays in production now.

Also Barco has had a 56 inch inch 4k LCD on sale since 2007 and IBM has had a 22 inch 4k monitor on sale since 2001.
Right thats hell of a competition currently:rolleyes:
And BTW that IBM production monitor which was made by a joint venture b/w IBM and Chimei Optronics was swallowed by Sony in 2005.

The fact is that it is zero required for any TV maker to make camera or have a production house or make projectors (oh for the record barco has been making 4k television before Sony had dreams about it and they also make projectors),this is not exclusivity so it makes zero difference, all the content sony produces is available to be played on any television so your understanding of an eco system is actually fail.Also Canon and gopro already have consumer level 4k video cams.

An eco system is where the entire system is dependent on each other, for example apple has the best eco system on the planet, their hardware is dependent on their operating system and that whole device is dependent on the content and app they have on sale and its exclusive to apple so that's an eco system not what you imagine about Sony.

Samsung manufacturers every single part to make their own devices does not mean they have great eco system, still apple does not make a single part for their smart phone but still the iPhone is the biggest selling single smart phone in history.

Sony can make 4k what every they want, they can even make 4k phones and average quality 4k cams but that is not an eco system and that makes no advantage in buying thier televisions.

There are many bigger production houses than sony and sony makes less than half of what warner makes in spite of all the smaller production houses they bought so i guess you should check your facts(its given in their site the number of movies they made), apart from this there are so many smaller production houses which produce a lot of movies.

which native 4k movie was shot with Cinealta 8k or 4k? and Cinealta 8k is a marketing lie because it is not 8k.

Over all my thread was to point there is no sony eco system, if one says so then he does not know what an eco system means, even if an eco system exists sony has zero advantage and that will reflect in the sale numbers in the near future.

BTW your desperate attempt to quote Chimei Optronics was swallowed by Sony in 2005 was some epic lulz!

oh on the news today if anyone is interested in buying some real estate "Sony selling NY headquarters for $1.1 billion, will rent space from new owners"

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/17/sony-selling-ny-headquarters/

Last edited:
I just asked a simple question which other tv maker as 4k cameras,vast amount of Movie Studios and movie library and is making their own 4k movies.So i rest my case.

Eco system... possibly a fancy term for shot at monopoly.

Why speculate? Just let Sony and others do their bit. We as consumers should benefit irrespective of the manufacturer. That's the point, isn't it?

Quantum dot or square or circle doesn't matter. Will see when it's out and affordable.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back