Mi Tv Series in India

Hi All

UPDATE on Mi TV 55 purchased on July 2018

I have a 2018 Mi TV 55 (first generation Mi TV launched in India) - a few weeks ago, when my dad was watching it - it suddenly went blank - sound is coming, but screen is black (the screen is displaying a black image) - tried restarting the TV multiple times, but to no avail. I contacted Mi support and a technician called me - I described the symptoms to him and he told me he's 100% certain that panel is gone and it'll cost 35k for replacement. I asked him to visit my house to confirm the diagnosis, but he implied that I would be wasting ₹850 visiting charge (as TV is out of warranty).

Another technician called me and he told me that he has a spare motherboard to test with my TV - so we could find out which had died - the board or the panel - he quoted around ₹8000 for board replacement. He too did not show up despite multiple follow ups.

If this is how they treat someone who paid 45k for their premium product, then I don't think they'll be able to maintain brand loyalty.

I'm done with Mi TV - I thought Mi brand stood for quality products - I am using their phones and tablet since long time without any issue faced (even for budget phones) - but it seems their TVs are not the same quality as their mobile devices.

I'm trying to get hold of someone who can take a look and see it it can be repaired. If you know any good 3rd party service center in Kochi, Kerala, please do share here.

Best Regards

Games Goblin
Is the screen black or grey? If grey, This could be a case of Graphics controller card gone bad - a cheaper fix than the Panel or Mobo.

Hi All

UPDATE on Mi TV 55 purchased on July 2018

I have a 2018 Mi TV 55 (first generation Mi TV launched in India) - a few weeks ago, when my dad was watching it - it suddenly went blank - sound is coming, but screen is black (the screen is displaying a black image) - tried restarting the TV multiple times, but to no avail. I contacted Mi support and a technician called me - I described the symptoms to him and he told me he's 100% certain that panel is gone and it'll cost 35k for replacement. I asked him to visit my house to confirm the diagnosis, but he implied that I would be wasting ₹850 visiting charge (as TV is out of warranty).

Another technician called me and he told me that he has a spare motherboard to test with my TV - so we could find out which had died - the board or the panel - he quoted around ₹8000 for board replacement. He too did not show up despite multiple follow ups.

If this is how they treat someone who paid 45k for their premium product, then I don't think they'll be able to maintain brand loyalty.

I'm done with Mi TV - I thought Mi brand stood for quality products - I am using their phones and tablet since long time without any issue faced (even for budget phones) - but it seems their TVs are not the same quality as their mobile devices.

I'm trying to get hold of someone who can take a look and see it it can be repaired. If you know any good 3rd party service center in Kochi, Kerala, please do share here.

Best Regards

Games Goblin
Sad to hear about this, I have same TV brought when launched.

Totally crap tv with HDMI ARC hit and miss most of times, no updates to run apps like hotstar, chromecast support etc....

If possible get in touch with technicians from reliance ResQ, they might have cheap repair solutions, dont spend much on repairs, get a new one instead for peace of mind.

Hi

But u should have purchased extended warranty if possible, we can't guarantee how long these electronics last.

So u better purchase complete warranty as many years as possible. It costs but it is worth with these brands

Yes, it was my mistake not to go for extended warrranty - My previous LCD / LED TVs lasted for a resaonably long time - Samsung LA26R71B (our first LCD TV which ran for around 5 years) ; Sony Bravia KDL-40NX650 (7 years - still worked albeit with small issues before being replaced by the Mi TV)

I thought TV from reputed manufacturer will last for at least 4-5 years before giving up. My mistake I guess. Our family's old CRT TV, (a Philips Powervision) lasted for around 15 years!

Sad to hear about this, I have same TV brought when launched.

Totally crap tv with HDMI ARC hit and miss most of times, no updates to run apps like hotstar, chromecast support etc....

If possible get in touch with technicians from reliance ResQ, they might have cheap repair solutions, dont spend much on repairs, get a new one instead for peace of mind.

Yes, I agree - we Mi TV 1st gen users were ripped off I feel - it's called smart TV, but it does not have Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube etc! And I honestly believe the PQ of my old Bravia was better than the Mi TV.

Unfortunately, reliance ResQ is not available in my city

Is the screen black or grey? If grey, This could be a case of Graphics controller card gone bad - a cheaper fix than the Panel or Mobo.

Here is a video of the problem with my MiTV

I've found a local repair shop and they told me they'll take a look at my TV - I'll update the thread if they are able to repair it.

Thank you all for your suggestions and inputs

99%- This could be a case of the Graphics controller card or its connecting ribbon cable that has gone bad - a very cheap fix .
I had the same issue in my VU LED.

Such a disappointing launch. They told that this is their entrance to premium TV segment in India. Did not mention anything about the peak brightness, contrast levels etc. Just the RAM , internal storage like Indians only need this.

Such a disappointing launch. They told that this is their entrance to premium TV segment in India. Did not mention anything about the peak brightness, contrast levels etc. Just the RAM , internal storage like Indians only need this.
They try to show junk panels no one buys in China as high-end stuff through shady marketing here. In reality, it's a budget VA panel with just high colour gamut via quantum dots. They also added HDMI 2.1 for marketing despite the panel being 60Hz!!!

They talked more about the speakers in their TV than the panel itself. And even with that much focus on sound, they somehow 'forgot' to include atmos support.

They try to show junk panels no one buys in China as high-end stuff through shady marketing here. In reality, it's a budget VA panel with just high colour gamut via quantum dots. They also added HDMI 2.1 for marketing despite the panel being 60Hz!!!

They talked more about the speakers in their TV than the panel itself. And even with that much focus on sound, they somehow 'forgot' to include atmos support

After Mi 4 Tv, I don`t think I will buy their tv again... Their so called android patchwall doesnt have Prime, Netflix or Chromecast support yet.

It's 350 nits and 4500:1. Terrible panel when you can get Toshiba U7980. Even Nokia, VU etc are better option than this.

My 27k VU Cinema TV has 500 nits VA panel. What a joke of a launch this!
VU TVs are really amazing using 2 and half yr old 43" 4K HDR TV with chromecast. It has 4 HDMI ports and 3 USBs including USB 3.0
It too support 5Ghz WiFi properly. I bought it for 34,200 INR with 3 yrs warranty. Good contrast, audio, brightness and colours.

I was excited for new premium QLED Mi TV launch but turns out to be another 60Hz panel. Does it even support MEMC?

After Mi 4 Tv, I don`t think I will buy their tv again... Their so called android patchwall doesnt have Prime, Netflix or Chromecast support yet.

Just 3 days post this, I was watching Tenet via Nvidia Shield and suddently the display went blank, audio was working. Thought its something with Plex, turns out some issue with display, tv starts normally, blinks for 20 times, menu access audio working but no display!

Regstered for repair at mi site, waiting for repair guy visit. Anyone faced similar issue? Not sure weather to stick with repair or buy a new tv?

Just 3 days post this, I was watching Tenet via Nvidia Shield and suddently the display went blank, audio was working. Thought its something with Plex, turns out some issue with display, tv starts normally, blinks for 20 times, menu access audio working but no display!

Regstered for repair at mi site, waiting for repair guy visit. Anyone faced similar issue? Not sure weather to stick with repair or buy a new tv?
Ditch it! My MiTV 4X 65 inch also had to undergo repair as the backlights on the top half of the TV stopped functioning. However, customer support was really good and prompt. But that means nothing if the TV in itself is crap. which it is.

VU TVs are really amazing using 2 and half yr old 43" 4K HDR TV with chromecast. It has 4 HDMI ports and 3 USBs including USB 3.0
It too support 5Ghz WiFi properly. I bought it for 34,200 INR with 3 yrs warranty. Good contrast, audio, brightness and colours.

I was excited for new premium QLED Mi TV launch but turns out to be another 60Hz panel. Does it even support MEMC?
I'm surprised anybody cares about MEMC. what is your specific use case scenario for it?

Last edited:
Ditch it! My MiTV 4X 65 inch also had to undergo repair as the backlights on the top half of the TV stopped functioning. However, customer support was really good and prompt. But that means nothing if the TV in itself is crap. which it is.
Quick update - Xiaomi replaced the entire TV instead of replacing only the panel - seems it was the easier thing to do.

Coincidentally, on the very day that I got my replacement set, the bottom LEDs which were working till then also gave way and their was a complete failure of the TV's backlight.

So I saw on youtube about all Mi TVs slowly getting the Mircast App but the 65 we have has not. Did you get it?

Any other Mi TV folks who got the Miracast update on their 65 or non 65 TVs? Could someone share the APK from their TV?

Quick update - Xiaomi replaced the entire TV instead of replacing only the panel - seems it was the easier thing to do.

Coincidentally, on the very day that I got my replacement set, the bottom LEDs which were working till then also gave way and their was a complete failure of the TV's backlight.

When had you bought this TV? How long did it serve you without faults?

Despite the facts that many complained that the sales were not honored in majority of the location. There are quite a number of people who got their hands onto the mighty piece. The reviews were started flowing in flipkart and let me pick a few excerpts from the comments to give an idea of what's the feel like. Most of it are positive and currently staying in 4.7* that's good. People who moved from CRT and lower resolution displayed were in awe it seems. You can't expect much from those tiny speakers. Panel will be good if you sit straight and have good lighting conditions. Overall it seems to be a hit in this price point.

===
It must be quite interesting what reviewers are telling about this television. About the fact that browser and play store wouldn't work.... Well the good news is you can sideload any app you want and make it work, also its claimed by Xiaomi that support for play store and browser is on the way... I know the content on Hungama and others is limited... WELL FOR ANYONE READING THIS... I MADE KODI WORK!
===
TV comes with a very good packageing and it has a mi Bluetooth remote it has only eleven buttons and the remote is so tiny that it will fit into our hands and it come with a powercoard . User experience is very smooth there is no lag the gives true 4k experience by playing a 4k input source to the TV .the patchwall os super easy to use the TV has three HDMI slots ,one Pendrive slot ,the sound output of the TV is crispy and nice .if you need to control your dish with the mi TV remote then you will get a IR blaster receiver Frome the service ingenier but you need internet to be connected to use the feature .the apps are priinstalled by the TV like miracast by this feature you can cast your redmi phone interference with the the TV the WiFi connectivity is fast and speed the overall the Mi LED smart TV is super and gives best experience in your home for less budget TV .I thank xiomi for bringing this TV to India and also I thank Flipkart for super fast delivery and I thank the service ingenier Jeeves consumer service for providing two years extra warranty for the TV of cost rupees 3499.I suggest that this TV for the buyer's who want to buy a new 4k TV for less budget getting around 55inches
===
Decent panel, for the price. I feel Patchwall could be tad overbearing if you your requirement is divided equally between online and on-air content. One thing is for sure is that the sound quality is rubbish. Not bad, but rubbish. In two minds of returning the tv just becoz of that. The large screen experience is totally marred by that.
===
Expected too much with the Display. Average quality display. Sound is ok. Definitely doesn't feel like a 4k TV. Realised this is all you can get for 40k. The TV is huge and ultra thin. That's the only consolation. Do not have high hopes if you decide on buying it. It will just look big on your wall. If your a fan of quality display, definitely a NO. My LG 4K tv has a display that is at least 10 times better.
===
Not only the competitive price range, but also Mi hasn't disappointed the smart TV features and also Patchwall OS..
Timely Delivery : After i booked yesterday 2pm, i received the product by 7am today from Ekart.. Kudos to delivery team.
Prompt Installation : It was mentioned that Jeevas team will assign for installation for next day.. When i requested their customer care team, they immediately arrange 3 executives who came at 11am and they are very careful in installation taking some time without hesitation and also took time in explaning the demo and other details.
===

If you're still active on the forums I'd like to pick your help for something.

When had you bought this TV? How long did it serve you without faults?
5 months before its top LED backlights started switching off intermittently. A restart would usually fix it but they finally gave up around 9 months in. It may be a one off thing as i couldn't find this issue reported online anywhere on the web. In any case, the panel ain't great for what it is. Best avoidable.

In the market for a 43" FHD tv. Was thinking of Mi but looks like it is not a great get (based on this thread). Any other recommended? Can go up to 35K INR

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back