LG C9 User Thread (No Price Talk)

Thats great !! Then share your settings..I have bit time now in lockdown :D

ISF Expert Dark Room mode. OLED light 90. Contrast at 80 to reduce ABL. Dynamic Contrast is at off as it changes the contrast too much, blowing out details or crushing them at times. Basically the idea is to start off with the most accurate picture, and then simply enhance the luminance range. Nothing else. The changes I have made won't blow highlights or crush blacks. All details will be displayed. Dynamic contrast changes that, so off.

Peak brightness is at high. Important because otherwise luminance is limited.

Gamma is 2.4 to begin with. Then go to white balance in expert controls. Switch Method 22 points IRE.

Then go to 100 IRE, make Target Luminance to 500, which is the max. Then Adjusting Luminance to +50.

For the rest of the IRE values, you'll be able to adjust only Adjusting Luminance, and I'm giving the values for that.

95 IRE: +24
90: +4
85: -11
80: -23
75: -31
70: -36
65: -39
60: -39
55: -38
50: -35
45: -31
40: -26
35: -21
30: -16
25: -10
20: -7
15: -4
10: -1

Rest are at 0. These values are to target 3.2 gamma, which works for me as I watch in the day with curtains closed. For bright rooms, gamma of 3 or 2.8 can be dialed in.

So what I wanted to do compared to HDR Effect mode or just pushing OLED light to max was to push luminance of specular highlights to max without making the mids too bright. As you can see from the values, compared gamma 2.4, top ranges go higher, but everything else except dark shadows are pushed lower in luminance.

Been using these for a month or so. Supremely satisfied. SDR also looks as good as HDR, and it's not blinding in a dark room either.

ISF Expert Dark Room mode. OLED light 90. Contrast at 80 to reduce ABL. Dynamic Contrast is at off as it changes the contrast too much, blowing out details or crushing them at times. Basically the idea is to start off with the most accurate picture, and then simply enhance the luminance range. Nothing else. The changes I have made won't blow highlights or crush blacks. All details will be displayed. Dynamic contrast changes that, so off.

Gamma is 2.4 to begin with. Then go to white balance in expert controls. Switch Method 22 points IRE.

Then go to 100 IRE, make Target Luminance to 500, which is the max. Then Adjusting Luminance to +50.

For the rest of the IRE values, you'll be able to adjust only Adjusting Luminance, and I'm giving the values for that.

Rest are at 0. These values are to target 3.2 gamma, which works for me as I watch in the day with curtains closed. For bright rooms, gamma of 3 or 2.8 can be dialed in.

So what I wanted to do compared to HDR Effect mode or just pushing OLED light to max was to push luminance of specular highlights to max without making the mids too bright. As you can see from the values, compared gamma 2.4, top ranges go higher, but everything else except dark shadows are pushed lower in luminance.

Been using these for a month or so. Supremely satisfied. SDR also looks as good as HDR, and it's not blinding in a dark room either.

I have a LG C7 , was trying to follow your settings. Managed to do all of the above other than peak brightness, is there a specific setting or are you asking to set the brightness to 100 ? Dont notice any peak brightness setting on my TV

I have a LG C7 , was trying to follow your settings. Managed to do all of the above other than peak brightness, is there a specific setting or are you asking to set the brightness to 100 ? Dont notice any peak brightness setting on my TV

Ah! It's a C7, so the peak brightness setting is inside the service menu. To enhance SDR brightness to levels C9 can hit, you'll have the head inside the service menu for which you'll need a service remote. In C9 this setting was made available to users. I guess if you don't have one and can't get one, you can aim for gamma of 2.8 and then OLED light at 100 to compensate for the reduction in the light output.

Ah! It's a C7, so the peak brightness setting is inside the service menu. To enhance SDR brightness to levels C9 can hit, you'll have the head inside the service menu for which you'll need a service remote. In C9 this setting was made available to users. I guess if you don't have one and can't get one, you can aim for gamma of 2.8 and then OLED light at 100 to compensate for the reduction in the light output.

Thanks , let me try this out. Do you recommend keeping brightness at around 60/100 ? I find that to be optimum else the image starts looking kind of washed out.

Thanks , let me try this out. Do you recommend keeping brightness at around 60/100 ? I find that to be optimum else the image starts looking kind of washed out.

Brightness should always be at the most accurate point where black remains black. This brightness setting is actually black level setting. Use a pure black video from YouTube and play it at night with all lights off. Find the level where black remains black. One notch up and the screen will faintly light up. When that happens, go one step down and keep it there. For me, 52 is the correct level in SDR and default 50 is accurate for DV abd HDR 10.

According to Forbes article

LG’s 2020 4K OLED And LCD TVs Don’t Support Full HDMI 2.1

It has been confirmed by LG that the FRL speeds in the EDID dumps of the C9 and CX are correct.

The C9 has full 48Gbps ports capable of 4K 120Hz 4:4:4 12-bit.

The CX however only has 40Gbps ports capable of 4K 120K 4:4:4 10-bit.

Here’s the official statement LG shared

“While LG covered most of the HDMI 2.1 related specs in its 2019 TVs, including full bandwidth support in all of the HDMI ports for its 4K and 8K TVs, the market situation evolution indicated that real content that requires 48Gbps is not available in the market.

Based on market situation, LG decided to re-allocate the hardware resources of 2020 chipsets optimizing for AI functions including CPU&GPU and supporting full bandwidth in only 2 ports of 2020 8K TV series (ZX series, NANO99, NANO97, NANO95). And the rest of the ports of 8K TVs and all HDMI 2.1 ports of 4K TVs have lower bandwidth than 48 Gbps but support up to 4K 120P 4:4:4/RGB 10bit. We apologize for not flagging this earlier to you.”

Last edited:
I had a scare of a lifetime yesterday. I was having beer and watching old matches highlights at night on youtube. And I slept / passed out leaving the TV on and the youtube auto playlist. It started playing a repeat telecast of Ashes 2005 test match. It must bad run for 11-12 hrs straight. When I got up in morning, saw the scorecard image stuck on my C9 !!
I panicked and quickly ran the pixel refreshed. Havent been able to see the scorecard now after that. Should have clicked the image first. It most likely was image retention and not burn in I hope?

Also whats the difference between Gamma BT and numerical values?
Can I switch to a more bluish image as red pixels are more prone to burn in? Will it help?

I had a scare of a lifetime yesterday. I was having beer and watching old matches highlights at night on youtube. And I slept / passed out leaving the TV on and the youtube auto playlist. It started playing a repeat telecast of Ashes 2005 test match. It must bad run for 11-12 hrs straight. When I got up in morning, saw the scorecard image stuck on my C9 !!
I panicked and quickly ran the pixel refreshed. Havent been able to see the scorecard now after that. Should have clicked the image first. It most likely was image retention and not burn in I hope?

Also whats the difference between Gamma BT and numerical values?
Can I switch to a more bluish image as red pixels are more prone to burn in? Will it help?

It was temporary image retention. Would have cleared out on its own with some content watching. Burn-in is permanent. Takes thousands of hours.

Stick to accurate warm mode. Brightness is lowered slightly in that to compensate. I wouldn't expect much difference in burn-in times overall.

BT.1886 is the same as gamma 2.4 for OLEDs.

Isn’t this killing all shadow details? You use this for light and dark room viewing?

Isn’t this killing all shadow details? You use this for light and dark room viewing?

Why would it kill shadow details? It'll provide more shadows details because if you'll notice, the lower IREs are untouched, and the OLED light is at 90. So if we compared it to reference level SDR, with OLED light at 25 as in filmmaker mode in CX, the dark levels are actually brighter.

Since I watch in the day with curtains closed, I'm sticking with this as the single mode for all SDR content, except in game mode when PC is connected. Peak Brightness is turned off when instant game response is launched, which limits brightness. So only for gaming I'm using HDR Effect mode.

If you room gets bright enough to make you want high average picture level, target gamma of 3. If it gets super bright 2.8 and OLED light at 100 will work.

Okay.
Gamma at 2.4 must be anyway masking some shadows. Plus those negatives must be dipping it further. That’s what I thought.
I have a C7 so could be different to C9. I found a happy setting for SDR after some trial with settings from AVS forum :)

Okay.
Gamma at 2.4 must be anyway masking some shadows. Plus those negatives must be dipping it further. That’s what I thought.
I have a C7 so could be different to C9. I found a happy setting for SDR after some trial with settings from AVS forum :)

Gamma at 2.4 is the reference nowadays for SDR. Those negatives are dependent on IRE ranges. So it's not masking shadow details. It's presenting them as intended, as long as you have used a black slide to set the Brightness, i.e. Black Level, correctly for your panel. It's 52 for my panel. Varies a bit from panel to panel. The crucial dark shadow details, which would be 2.5, 5 and 7.5 IRE are untouched, so they are brighter than they would be at reference levels for SDR.

So are the the 10, 15 values, because even though they are at slight negative, OLED light has been bumped up to 90 from the reference of 25 and peak brightness has also been turned on. The light output is almost maxed out for the TV. Only slight headroom left from 90 to 100 OLED light. So everything has been brightened so much, that even though 10 and 15 IRE, which would be mid-shadow details, are at -1 and -4, they have been brightened more than the negative offset, which means that overall level is bright than reference.

Even the mids are overall slightly brighter than reference SDR. I can check out target values of IRE at with target luminance at 120 nits, and then show you the target values of my settings, and that'll definitely settle the debate, but that's too much work as I'll have reset and change every setting again for that. Just take my word for it for now or test yourself.

Thanks for the details. So brightness is bumped up to 52.
Would be interesting to see the pre and post report, if you can. It will be educational for many of us on the forum.

Thanks for the details. So brightness is bumped up to 52.
Would be interesting to see the pre and post report, if you can. It will be educational for many of us on the forum.

Brightness is the correct setting at 52 (for my panel) for both reference and my tweaked mode. It's basically the highest setting where pure black remains pure black. At default 50, there would be black crush in my panel, irrespective of the other settings. Even at OLED light 100 with regular 2.4 or even 2.2 gamma, there would be black crush, because Brightness has set the TV to crush blacks as I mentioned above, it's the black level setting.

Give me a couple of days then. I'll check out the default target values in another mode, note them down, and then compare with my tweaked target values. We can even plot a graph with those if needed. lol

I have noticed issues with Dolby vision in my c9. It looks like standard 4K and the high dynamic range is missing. Just as an example I have shared two pics from Netflix. If u see in the slide bar the snippet shows the content in high dynamic range and also I have verified in all dolby vision contents. But when the actual content plays it looks like standard 4K. In the tv show I shared below at one scene alone for few minutes the HDR was seen and the image was bright and dynamic

Attachments

• 63A5CE97-AE68-47C5-A591-6D753A629F27.jpeg
    63A5CE97-AE68-47C5-A591-6D753A629F27.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 45BEF84C-0ADE-4B3F-815C-222E3394D54C.jpeg
    45BEF84C-0ADE-4B3F-815C-222E3394D54C.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 25
I have noticed issues with Dolby vision in my c9. It looks like standard 4K and the high dynamic range is missing. Just as an example I have shared two pics from Netflix. If u see in the slide bar the snippet shows the content in high dynamic range and also I have verified in all dolby vision contents. But when the actual content plays it looks like standard 4K. In the tv show I shared below at one scene alone for few minutes the HDR was seen and the image was bright and dynamic

I had this confusion with the Metz OLED. The thumbnails just have extra brightness. Lol

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back