LG C9 User Thread (No Price Talk)

De-judder will work on 24-30 fps content to make it smoother and reduce the stutter, while De-blur will work on higher frame rate content to reduce persistence blur. De-judder set to 3 resembles Clear as far as I could judge, but Clear had lesser artifacting than even De-judder 1. I tested it via Triple Frontier helicopter scenes and skydiving scene of Kingsman.
Clear is good but some scenes the stutter is bad and feels like the screen is flickering so wanted to try user. I kept both at 5 and it was good. Motion was smooth and eliminated the stutter in most scenes without introducing SOAP

Clear is good but some scenes the stutter is bad and feels like the screen is flickering so wanted to try user. I kept both at 5 and it was good. Motion was smooth and eliminated the stutter in most scenes without introducing SOAP

Some stutter has to remain as that's how 24 fps looks. Stutter is an inherent part of it. Just that OLED has stutter worse than other tech. If you add too much interpolation and remove too much of that stutter, then that's behaving like how higher frame rate content would look; i.e. Soap Opera Effect.

Some stutter has to remain as that's how 24 fps looks. Stutter is an inherent part of it. Just that OLED has stutter worse than other tech. If you add too much interpolation and remove too much of that stutter, then that's behaving like how higher frame rate content would look; i.e. Soap Opera Effect.
Yeah that’s why want to keep it in a balanced settings. At 5 it eliminates the worst stutter without introducing any soap so far in the scenes I have seen. Some scenes do have light stutter so it looks how 24p is supposed to look.

Yeah that’s why want to keep it in a balanced settings. At 5 it eliminates the worst stutter without introducing any soap so far in the scenes I have seen. Some scenes do have light stutter so it looks how 24p is supposed to look.

5 should be fine. Many use it at that. Depends on preference a bit too. I'm happy with Clear. Artifacting is rare. Only on fast moving small objects or cars passing under trees. C9 stabilizes these artifacts faster than B9 btw. One good reason to go for C9 instead of B9. BFI at low like its present in CX would be ideal though.

I don’t understand these clips. How should I use them to set the black lever for HDR and white levels

I don’t understand these clips. How should I use them to set the black lever for HDR and white levels

Don't. Default will be fine.

If you still want to, it's the same as SDR, just that values differ since its for a 10-bit signal. 64 is pure black. 0.5% black also might be tough to see flashing without letting the eyes adjusting and peeking closely. 1% should be visible though.

For the white, again, leave it at default. You should see that pure white is white and values under it are visible and you aren't clipping any data.

Keep dynamic tone mapping turned off. It will show variable results on the same clips.

I remember linking to the HDR clips test thread of avsforum somewhere on this forum, if not this thread, if you want to go in-depth.

Don't. Default will be fine.

If you still want to, it's the same as SDR, just that values differ since its for a 10-bit signal. 64 is pure black. 0.5% black also might be tough to see flashing without letting the eyes adjusting and peeking closely. 1% should be visible though.

For the white, again, leave it at default. You should see that pure white is white and values under it are visible and you aren't clipping any data.

Keep dynamic tone mapping turned off. It will show variable results on the same clips.

I remember linking to the HDR clips test thread of avsforum somewhere on this forum, if not this thread, if you want to go in-depth.
Ok so 64 shouldn’t flash for black and for white levels till 235 can flash? At my current settings it’s is flashing till 253

Ok so 64 shouldn’t flash for black and for white levels till 235 can flash? At my current settings it’s is flashing till 253

253 isn't an HDR video. You need HDR slides to calibrated HDR. Don't remember the value for limited 10-bit now. 984 was it? Not sure.

Edit: 940 it should. 235*4 as 16-235 is the 8 bit limited signal.

The higher range and the way it'll be displayed also varies on the nits of the encoded footage.

You might also run into ABL at higher ranges. Just leave that at default tbh and check if there's any black crush. You need to tweak tone mapping if you want to calibrate HDR, and you can't do that with tools users have.

253 isn't an HDR video. You need HDR slides to calibrated HDR. Don't remember the value for limited 10-bit now. 984 was it? Not sure.

Edit: 940 it should. 235*4 as 16-235 is the 8 bit limited signal.
Yeah not for HDR. It was for HD

I guess you meant SDR. Anyway, you'll find videos for HDR whites too on YouTube, but like I said, ABL will come into play.
Yeah SDR so what values should I keep. Now contrast is at 85 but all values flash. If I keep it at 100 it flashes till 234.

Yeah SDR so what values should I keep. Now contrast is at 85 but all values flash. If I keep it at 100 it flashes till 234.

Keep at 85. That means it's displaying all data there is to display. 10 bit panels flash above 235 too. My cheap Iffalcon TV didn't if I remember correctly.

The new firmware is out - 04.80.03 (don't see it on the TV yet but available on LG site - https://www.lg.com/in/support/product/lg-OLED55C9PTA

OFFICIAL CHANGELOG: Apple AirPlay function improvement - (the rest of the changes mentioned below are UNOFFICIAL, extracted from the firmware itself)
  • WebOS version updated to v4.8.0-52203
  • The device codec capability configuration for the EAC3 codec changed from 6 channels to 8 channels.
  • The device codec capability configuration (EDID) for the LPCM codec changed from 2 channels to 8 channels, so the 2019 models can Pass-Trough multi-channel PCM audio via eARC
  • The list of CA certificates was updated.
  • Media server 8K video playback support added.
  • The max size of the saved EPG data was increased (size of the volume increased by 10MB).
  • Airplay application was added to the list of apps that are kept alive.
Built-In App-Updates:
  • WebOS Browser App (Chromium) updated (internal version didn't change).
  • LG Advertisement App updated.
Firmware updates of the following modules:
  • WIFI
  • Audio DSP
  • HDMI 2.1

i just got the update installed... observed the following
1. clear voice sound mode now more vocal focused and all the preset mode sound is different than previous.
2. Motion is smoother.
3. sharpness reduced

So I noticed something today. Motion is best in vivid mode. I checked with motion set to clear in all the modes and vivid seems to be the best. But the expert controls is disabled so won’t be able to disable dynamic contrast which makes the image to bright and unnatural. In most of the scenes I see a lot of stutter which some time’s spoils my viewing experience so when I used vivid motion is so smooth. How come clear is better and smooth in vivid mode compared to Cinema or technicolour picture modes. One thing I would like to correct in c9 is the motion. It’s not smooth to my liking and can clearly notice so much stutter

So I noticed something today. Motion is best in vivid mode. I checked with motion set to clear in all the modes and vivid seems to be the best. But the expert controls is disabled so won’t be able to disable dynamic contrast which makes the image to bright and unnatural. In most of the scenes I see a lot of stutter which some time’s spoils my viewing experience so when I used vivid motion is so smooth. How come clear is better and smooth in vivid mode compared to Cinema or technicolour picture modes. One thing I would like to correct in c9 is the motion. It’s not smooth to my liking and can clearly notice so much stutter

Because Vivid uses Trumotion at Smooth, which is max soap opera effect. Hey, if you like it, use it.

Because Vivid uses Trumotion at Smooth, which is max soap opera effect. Hey, if you like it, use it.
No man I changed it to clear. It feels like smooth with no SOAP. So my question is how in vivid mode there is not stutter even when motion is set to clear and why is it different compared to other modes

No man I changed it to clear. It feels like smooth with no SOAP. So my question is how in vivid mode there is not stutter even when motion is set to clear and why is it different compared to other modes

Ah! Clear in Vivid and Standard mode interpolates more than it does in accurate modes. That's why in 2020, LG changed it to Cinema Clear and Natural. You can try custom trumotion to De-Judder 5 in accurate modes and see how that feels.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back