LG C9 User Thread (No Price Talk)

I meant, what sharpness and color settings? Brightness we have been through before. It's the black level setting. Color and sharpness at default in accurate modes is actually the ideal one. So I don't get why you think they are too low. Of course, some modes actually have color gamut set to (force) wide, which pushes all content to wider color gamut. That has to be the same on both sets for a comparison.
Sharpness was at 10 i think which I changed to 25 colour I keep at 55 and gamut to wide. Sony in showrooms looks sharp, vivid but c9 was bright and dull for SDR contents. HDR it was neck and neck with the c9 being brighter.

Sharpness was at 10 i think which I changed to 25 colour I keep at 55 and gamut to wide. Sony in showrooms looks sharp, vivid but c9 was bright and dull for SDR contents. HDR it was neck and neck with the c9 being brighter.

So that's not accurate at all, which is ok, but you're deviating from accuracy because that seems better to you.

Sharpness at 10 is the setting where apart from anti-aliasing, no post edge enhancement is applied. So that's the accurate one.

Color at 50 and Color Gamut at Auto is the correct one, and it's the setting where all review sites that measure OOTB color accuracy have measured C9. Boosting Color to 55 and then Color Gamut to Wide, you're now quite far from the accurate picture, which you thought was dull.

Hey! If you like it, keep it. I'm using my tweaked, jugaado SDR-to-HDR because that's what I like. All I wanted to point out was that C9 is incredibly accurate for a TV OOTB, apart from panel variance, as tested and verified by various parties.

So that's not accurate at all, which is ok, but you're deviating from accuracy because that seems better to you.

Sharpness at 10 is the setting where apart from anti-aliasing, no post edge enhancement is applied. So that's the accurate one.

Color at 50 and Color Gamut at Auto is the correct one, and it's the setting where all review sites that measure OOTB color accuracy have measured C9. Boosting Color to 55 and then Color Gamut to Wide, you're now quite far from the accurate picture, which you thought was dull.

Hey! If you like it, keep it. I'm using my tweaked, jugaado SDR-to-HDR because that's what I like. All I wanted to point out was that C9 is incredibly accurate for a TV OOTB, apart from panel variance, as tested and verified by various parties.
I like vivid images. C9 looks very dull and pale compared to Sony OOTB settings especially in SDR. For HDR I leave it in OOTB as not a lot of tweaking is required for HDR. Just go to showrooms and see the SDR contents played there vs the Sony. In some showrooms they play the same regional channels in Oled section and Sony looks way better. In HDR they play their company sample videos so can’t compare. Before I pulled the plug on c9 I visited 10 showrooms in different parts of Chennai and played so many of my Blu-ray movies in 1080 none of them looked good and was way worse then my old Sony tv itself. But now at home with some tweaks they Look good. It took me some time to get to the right settings or as u say to a picture what I like may be not right or accurate but with Sony it was not the case. In showrooms also I didn’t do any major tweaks and just liked it as it is on the display.

"We have included measurements of the pre-configured picture modes in Sony A9G. As mentioned in our last few Sony TV reviews, Cinema mode no longer represents Sony's most accurate picture mode. It now uses an extended color space (the TV's native space) instead of respecting the creator's intent. Sony says that Cinema has been optimized for a bright viewing environment and that it is therefore brighter and more saturated in order to compensate for light pollution in a bright viewing environment. You should select Custom mode if you want the most accurate picture quality."

This might be the reason why LG, even though it was more accurate, seemed dull to you compared to Sony.

I like vivid images. C9 looks very dull and pale compared to Sony OOTB settings especially in SDR. For HDR I leave it in OOTB as not a lot of tweaking is required for HDR. Just go to showrooms and see the SDR contents played there vs the Sony. In some showrooms they play the same regional channels in Oled section and Sony looks way better. In HDR they play their company sample videos so can’t compare. Before I pulled the plug on c9 I visited 10 showrooms in different parts of Chennai and played so many of my Blu-ray movies in 1080 none of them looked good and was way worse then my old Sony tv itself. But now at home with some tweaks they Look good. It took me some time to get to the right settings or as u say to a picture what I like may be not right or accurate but with Sony it was not the case. In showrooms also I didn’t do any major tweaks and just liked it as it is on the display.

Which is totally ok, buddy. All I wanted to point out and demonstrate was that LG C9 and E9 in 2019 were really as good as Panasonic for color accuracy.

" Sony better upscaling,motion, sharpness and slightly better in colour accuracy but c9 isn’t far behind"

This is why I commented. Sony was lagging behind LG and Panasonic in 2019 for color accuracy. Motion and upscaling, marginally better than LG...sure. However, LG C9 trumped Sony's offerings in color accuracy.

We have included measurements of the pre-configured picture modes in Sony A9G. As mentioned in our last few Sony TV reviews, Cinema mode no longer represents Sony's most accurate picture mode. It now uses an extended color space (the TV's native space) instead of respecting the creator's intent. Sony says that Cinema has been optimized for a bright viewing environment and that it is therefore brighter and more saturated in order to compensate for light pollution in a bright viewing environment. You should select Custom mode if you want the most accurate picture quality.

This might be the reason why LG, even though it was more accurate, seemed dull to you compared to Sony.
That’s what I am saying in showrooms the Sony looks rich and grand where as the c9 looks washed out for SDR contents. Added the fact showrooms are bright c9 doesn’t Appeal as the Sony on the first look.

That’s what I am saying in showrooms the Sony looks rich and grand where as the c9 looks washed out for SDR contents. Added the fact showrooms are bright c9 doesn’t Appeal as the Sony on the first look.

I know. I only commented as I have quoted above, you mentioned Sony being better in color accuracy, which wasn't true. Sony was probably better a few years ago, but 2019 was LG's year for sure. They upped their game, and OOTB C9 was even better than Panasonic OLEDs for pre-calibration color accuracy and gamma tracking.

Check this out! Panasonic GZ2000 showing a lot more errors than C9. Plus, since some of the errors are way above delta error of 3, they are definitely noticeable. C9 is really good for color accuracy OOTB. Make no mistake.

I know. I only commented as I have quoted above, you mentioned Sony being better in color accuracy, which wasn't true. Sony was probably better a few years ago, but 2019 was LG's year for sure. They upped their game, and OOTB C9 was even better than Panasonic OLEDs for pre-calibration color accuracy and gamma tracking.

Check this out! Panasonic GZ2000 showing a lot more errors than C9. Plus, since some of the errors are way above delta error of 3, they are definitely noticeable. C9 is really good for color accuracy OOTB. Make no mistake.

Ok may be since I am a Sony fan boy I feel that Sony is better. I don’t know there is something in Sony that’s so appealing. Sony pricing is bad my wife knowing I am a Sony fan boy insisted that I spend extra money and go for A8 as she feared I will within some time get the upgrade bug for Sony and she tried her best to convince me to get the A8. I had the budget for A8 but c9 was to hard to ignore and even if I had the money for A9 I might have not gone for it as I didn’t see the 1lakh picture quality difference in the A9. A8 build quality and remote is a joke. Lol plastic frame and the same remote you get for budget Sony tv’s. The chipset also from 2017 vs the c9 2019

Ok may be since I am a Sony fan boy I feel that Sony is better. I don’t know there is something in Sony that’s so appealing. Sony pricing is bad my wife knowing I am a Sony fan boy insisted that I spend extra money and go for A8 as she feared I will within some time get the upgrade bug for Sony and she tried her best to convince me to get the A8. I had the budget for A8 but c9 was to hard to ignore and even if I had the money for A9 I might have not gone for it as I didn’t see the 1lakh picture quality difference in the A9. A8 build quality and remote is a joke. Lol plastic frame and the same remote you get for budget Sony tv’s. The chipset also from 2017 vs the c9 2019

Maybe you're used to their enhancements. Accuracy is something that can be measured. Preference over that is subjective. Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying the C9...mostly. I remember the long back and forth we had when you were making that purchase decision. lol

Maybe you're used to their enhancements. Accuracy is something that can be measured. Preference over that is subjective. Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying the C9...mostly. I remember the long back and forth we had when you were making that purchase decision. lol
Hahaha yeah it was not easy cause I hate LG and I have never preferred Korean brands. There are some products that comes once in 5 years or a decade and if u get it no need to worry about an upgrade for another 5-10 years and c9 is one such product.LG has nailed it

Even in custom mode the A9G is a notch above.
Once you get the TV home, there is no point of comparison. The C9 looked beautiful next to A9G. Q90R was too good with HDR. Decisions, decisions! :)

The best TVs I had were Panasonic GT60 and Samsung F8500.

Once you get the TV home, there is no point of comparison. The C9 looked beautiful next to A9G. Q90R was too good with HDR. Decisions, decisions! :)

Didn’t you find the sony to be less bright? I had to change it to vivid mode to test in the showrooms as the environment was bright. But c9 was bright enough. I wish Sony has priced it better. I just don’t see the 1lakh difference

Notch above in terms of delta errors you mean, or notch above in quality? Even Rtings have it score relatively poorly pre-calibration: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a9g-oled

Still better than many other TVs though, but clearly, Sony isn't the color accuracy and gamma tracking champ. LG just outclassed itself in 2019. 2020 relatively is meh. That's what lack of competition can do. They'll probably deploy the bigger improvements in 2021 or 2022, once Samsung launches its next-gen products, QD-OLED or QNED.

Will you game at all on the TV you'll get?

Didn’t you find the sony to be less bright? I had to change it to vivid mode to test in the showrooms as the environment was bright. But c9 was bright enough. I wish Sony has priced it better. I just don’t see the 1lakh difference
Not by much for home viewing. Agreed, 100K difference is just too much. I think they have reduced prices now but still unjustified.
You have a 65C9?

Any one here using the user settings for Tru motion ? If so what values do you use for De-judder and de-blur? And also what is the difference between de-judder and de-blur

Any one here using the user settings for Tru motion ? If so what values do you use for De-judder and de-blur? And also what is the difference between de-judder and de-blur

De-judder will work on 24-30 fps content to make it smoother and reduce the stutter, while De-blur will work on higher frame rate content to reduce persistence blur. De-judder set to 3 resembles Clear as far as I could judge, but Clear had lesser artifacting than even De-judder 1. I tested it via Triple Frontier helicopter scenes and skydiving scene of Kingsman.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back