LG C9 User Thread (No Price Talk)

But motion and 24p stutter was good. Wish LG fixes it. Not sure why have an option that cannot be used. But in my case the flicker isn’t bad. Can be ignored cause it’s only in very rare scenes. Saw few HDR contents also and don’t notice any flicker. It comes very rarely. Still I am switching back to no Oled motion cause the brain will always wonder when it may flicker and spoil the fun

Agreed. Apparently three modes were supposed to come in 2019 models, but they were pullled at the last moment. Possibly because of a hardware limitation. 2020 has usable BFI.

I just noticed that real cinema is greyed out. I remember initially that option was enabled and we can turn it on or off. I want to disable it. Any idea why it has been disabled

I just noticed that real cinema is greyed out. I remember initially that option was enabled and we can turn it on or off. I want to disable it. Any idea why it has been disabled

If I remember correctly, it turns off if you use Trumotion.

Is there a way to calibrate the warm colours on the C9 to be more realistic? I watched some HD football content on DTH, at the store. The grass appeared to be fluorescent green on the B9/ C9 while it was more natural, darker green, on the A8G. The picture mode was set to Standard on both brands and brightness at 50%.

Two factors putting me off the LG, one is the slightly inferior motion and the other is the out of the box colour reproduction. If I can solve even one of them, will consider the C9.

Is there a way to calibrate the warm colours on the C9 to be more realistic? I watched some HD football content on DTH, at the store. The grass appeared to be fluorescent green on the B9/ C9 while it was more natural, darker green, on the A8G. The picture mode was set to Standard on both brands and brightness at 50%.

Two factor putting me off the LG, one is the slightly inferior motion and the other is the out of the box colour reproduction. If I can solve even one of them, will consider the C9.

Standard is far from accurate. Use Cinema or ISF dark on LG C9 for accurate modes. On the Sony, use Cinema, but you'll have to change the color gamut to the accurate setting, as by default it's set to the extended mode.

There's nothing realistic in terms of display settings. Realistic or not depends on the grading done on the content. Display's job is to display it accurately, as it's intended.

You can't judge realistic or not while using inaccurate modes.

Standard is far from accurate. Use Cinema or ISF dark on LG C9 for accurate modes. On the Sony, use Cinema, but you'll have to change the color gamut to the accurate setting, as by default it's set to the extended mode.

There's nothing realistic in terms of display settings. Realistic or not depends on the grading done on the content. Display's job is to display it accurately, as it's intended.

You can't judge realistic or not while using inaccurate modes.

Thanks, will have a look at the modes mentioned for the C9 and the A8G.

Of course the picture output is function of the settings. Though I am surprised to know the same mode can vary so greatly between two TV's. I would think standard is usually the default mode out of the box, which would best represent the manufacturers default settings. Seems like LG have gone with warm colours as standard, which some people may prefer, while Sony have kept it more balanced.

Two factors putting me off the LG, one is the slightly inferior motion and the other is the out of the box colour reproduction. If I can solve even one of them, will consider the C9.
I was at the exact spot. Sony image will be vivid and on the cooler side where as the c9 will be pale and dull as per showroom settings especially with the temperature set to the warmest.In standard mode colour temperature will be from C50-W50. Bring it to 0 so it will be neutral. For a vivid image increase the colour. In other modes temperature will be cool, medium, warm1-3. Set it to medium and increase the colour there as well. Motion try clear or in user keep de-blur at 0 and de-judder at 5 or 6. C9 vs A8 c9 is the clear winner overall. A8 will have better upscaling and motion. C9 more bright and has 2.1 Hdmi. Also it comes with a smart remote and the tv has a premium look and finish. A8 has a cheap plastic look and the remote they give are the same as Sony midrange basic tv’s. look at my below thread as it may help u

Thanks, will have a look at the modes mentioned for the C9 and the A8G.

Of course the picture output is function of the settings. Though I am surprised to know the same mode can vary so greatly between two TV's. I would think standard is usually the default mode out of the box, which would best represent the manufacturers default settings. Seems like LG have gone with warm colours as standard, which some people may prefer, while Sony have kept it more balanced.

Err....buddy, if you found standard to be...warm...you're in for a shock when you'll see the actual accurate modes set to D65 white point.

Again, you use the word balanced, but how do you judge balanced? If you find LG's standard to be warm, your sense of balance is way off. There's no debate about what's balanced. It's 6500k.

Not being rude. Just trying to make you understand that you need to forget what you feel is normal for now, because it seems to have been skewed by inaccurate television modes most people use.

Moreover, judging TVs in showrooms is bad anyway. They have LEDs that are way too blue with low cri and green tints, for which your eyes compensate, and the any screen you see will be affected by that too.

Just head over to Rtings, Avforums and Flatpanelshd, check out how LG C9 is really accurate in accurate modes before calibrating too, more than even Sony Master series. So you can buy C9 knowing it'll perform well, but you need to realign and get used to the accurate modes.

I was at the exact spot. Sony image will be vivid and on the cooler side where as the c9 will be pale and dull as per showroom settings especially with the temperature set to the warmest.In standard mode colour temperature will be from C50-W50. Bring it to 0 so it will be neutral. For a vivid image increase the colour. In other modes temperature will be cool, medium, warm1-3. Set it to medium and increase the colour there as well. Motion try clear or in user keep de-blur at 0 and de-judder at 5 or 6. C9 vs A8 c9 is the clear winner overall. A8 will have better upscaling and motion. C9 more bright and has 2.1 Hdmi. Also it comes with a smart remote and the tv has a premium look and finish. A8 has a cheap plastic look and the remote they give are the same as Sony midrange basic tv’s. look at my below thread as it may help u

Your thread is like deja vu to me! Agreed, the C9 beats the Sony on everything except the motion and out of the box colours (imo). That is what is keeping me on the fence. Will try the settings you shared, thanks!

Smart features and OS are an add on for me. Picture quality is paramount. Having owned Sony's earlier, the picture quality and detail was way better than other brands then. At this moment also it feels similar, but again, there is a huge price difference. Sony is charging a huge premium for a marginal better (for my parameters) product.

Would you say the C9 is as good/ better post calibration, than the A8G?

Err....buddy, if you found standard to be...warm...you're in for a shock when you'll see the actual accurate modes set to D65 white point.

Again, you use the word balanced, but how do you judge balanced? If you find LG's standard to be warm, your sense of balance is way off. There's no debate about what's balanced. It's 6500k.

Not being rude. Just trying to make you understand that you need to forget what you feel is normal for now, because it seems to have been skewed by inaccurate television modes most people use.

Moreover, judging TVs in showrooms is bad anyway. They have LEDs that are way too blue with low cri and green tints, for which your eyes compensate, and the any screen you see will be affected by that too.

Just head over to Rtings, Avforums and Flatpanelshd, check out how LG C9 is really accurate in accurate modes before calibrating too, more than even Sony Master series. So you can buy C9 knowing it'll perform well, but you need to realign and get used to the accurate modes.

Well the real world is my reference for balanced. I haven't seen grass in that shade ever in my life, on default :p, hence the use of the word balanced. Wasn't referring to any settings in particular.

Yeah the mode seems to be the culprit. Good to know the it is configurable and even better than the A9G. I will try the suggestions and see if it improves (to me) the colours.

Your thread is like deja vu to me! Agreed, the C9 beats the Sony on everything except the motion and out of the box colours (imo). That is what is keeping me on the fence. Will try the settings you shared, thanks!

Smart features and OS are an add on for me. Picture quality is paramount. Having owned Sony's earlier, the picture quality and detail was way better than other brands then. At this moment also it feels similar, but again, there is a huge price difference. Sony is charging a huge premium for a marginal better (for my parameters) product.

Would you say the C9 is as good/ better post calibration, than the A8G?

Well the real world is my reference for balanced. I haven't seen grass in that shade ever in my life, on default :p, hence the use of the word balanced. Wasn't referring to any settings in particular.

Yeah the mode seems to be the culprit. Good to know the it is configurable and even better than the A9G. I will try the suggestions and see if it improves (to me) the colours.
You will be stunned how well the c9 performs at home compared to showroom mode. I use technicolor mode now for both HDR and SDR. Trust me you can’t find a LG hater and a Sony fan boy then me. As a brand I hate LG and not once I have went to their show room or near their products in multi brand shops. In fact I hate Korean brands. Only the 24p stutter is on the inferior side to Sony which the Sony handles little better. Upscaling is also excellent and it will be a foolish choice to go for A8 over the c9. For what A8 offers 1.5L for the 65 inch is a fair price. Seriously I mean a plastic finish and a basic mid range tv remote? I am a sony fan boy and my fav tv brand will always be Sony but Sony is being a clown with what it offers for its price in Oled range.Leave A8 I also checked the A9 and it wasn’t bright as the C9 and I just can’t see the performance for its price compared to the c9. Has more then 1L gap and for that gap I should see something spectacular over the c9 and also no HDMI 2.1. For next gen game consoles 2.1 is a must. Thumbs down for Sony for its pricing. You are exactly on my spot. Like you I was also testing in standard, vivid mode and comparing with the Sony. Please don’t instead use the technicolor mode. Go to technicolor and Max out Oled light if u want brightness and don’t touch brightness level if it’s set at 50 and max out contrast as well. Colour you can keep it at 55-60. Temperature keep it at medium. Colour gamut check with wide and extended mode. Keep peak brightness at high and for HDR enable tone mapping.Motion as mentioned earlier.check with these settings and thank me after booking the c9

Last edited:
You will be stunned how well the c9 performs at home compared to showroom mode. I use technicolor mode now for both HDR and SDR. Trust me you can’t find a LG hater and a Sony fan boy then me. As a brand I hate LG and not once I have went to their show room or near their products in multi brand shops. In fact I hate Korean brands. Only the 24p stutter is on the inferior side to Sony which the Sony handles little better. Upscaling is also excellent and it will be a foolish choice to go for A8 over the c9. For what A8 offers 1.5L for the 65 inch is a fair price. Seriously I mean a plastic finish and a basic mid range tv remote? I am a sony fan boy and my fav tv brand will always be Sony but Sony is being a clown with what it offers for its price in Oled range.Leave A8 I also checked the A9 and it wasn’t bright as the C9 and I just can’t see the performance for its price compared to the c9. Has more then 1L gap and for that gap I should see something spectacular over the c9 and also no HDMI 2.1. For next gen game consoles 2.1 is a must. Thumbs down for Sony for its pricing. You are exactly on my spot. Like you I was also testing in standard, vivid mode and comparing with the Sony. Please don’t instead use the technicolor mode. Go to technicolor and Max out Oled light if u want brightness and don’t touch brightness level if it’s set at 50 and max out contrast as well. Colour you can keep it at 55-60. Temperature keep it at medium. Colour gamut check with wide and extended mode. Keep peak brightness at high and for HDR enable tone mapping.Motion as mentioned earlier.check with these settings and thank me after booking the c9

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will work with the settings mentioned by you and Marakk. Hopefully turns out to be better.

I also really like Sony's, but they're taking their premium image a bit too far in terms of pricing.

With the A8G it feels like they wanted to differentiate it as much as they could with with the A9G, hence made it more unappealing, which it is, as complete package, but even when compared to the competition. The C9 beats the it easily overall as you said. I don't think the 65" A8G would ever be available for 1.5, with the 55" being priced at 1.67! They would have to rejig their entire OLED range's pricing to accommodate that. Sony being Sony, won't make that happen! I don't know how many more TV's Sony would have sold if they would have sold their TV's close to the LG range.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will work with the settings mentioned by you and Marakk. Hopefully turns out to be better.

I also really like Sony's, but they're taking their premium image a bit too far in terms of pricing.

With the A8G it feels like they wanted to differentiate it as much as they could with with the A9G, hence made it more unappealing, which it is, as complete package, but even when compared to the competition. The C9 beats the it easily overall as you said. I don't think the 65" A8G would ever be available for 1.5, with the 55" being priced at 1.67! They would have to rejig their entire OLED range's pricing to accommodate that. Sony being Sony, won't make that happen! I don't know how many more TV's Sony would have sold if they would have sold their TV's close to the LG range.

Yeah you can’t get it for 1.5 but what I meant was that’s what it should be priced at. Let me break it down to you why it shouldn’t cost you more then 1.5L.The processor itself is not the latest. They use a 2017 chipset. Secondly the frame is plastic and doesn’t give a premium look like the c9. Third is the remote which is the same as basic mid range tv. Fourth HDMI 2.0 with no Earc.And then it’s android I mean it is the same os that is available in cheap android boxes how much would have Sony invested for the os? And also they don’t even provide a mount to fix the tv in wall.Only expense for Sony would have been buying the oled panel from LG. Take lg it’s their own os and m sure a lot would have been invested in R&D. chipset is the latest and finish is metallic premium with the smart remote. Picture also more bright then the Sony and also LG provides an excellent wall mount for free. My wife knowing I am a huge Sony fan boy was forcing me to go for Sony scared that I may be hit by the upgrade bug to get Sony after one or 2 years. I had the budget and could have easily extended to buy the A8. I didn’t go for c9 cause it was cheaper then A8 but went for it purely for the fact it destroys the A8 in terms of VFM. From hardware to software everything thing should have costed more then A8 for LG but still priced less then Sony.

Continuous watching yesterday night end up in having eye strain :p.

It was a big leap for me from 32inch to 55, having subtitles on the big screen is not easy.

One doubt here , the picture mode is keep on changing for every different content , is it supposed to be like that. And some of the options like real cinema is disabled mode.

For a average bright room , what will be settings which will go easy on eyes..? Is there any default settings I can use..?

It was a big leap for me from 32inch to 55, having subtitles on the big screen is not easy.

One doubt here , the picture mode is keep on changing for every different content , is it supposed to be like that. And some of the options like real cinema is disabled mode.

For a average bright room , what will be settings which will go easy on eyes..? Is there any default settings I can use..?
For SDR and HDR it changes to the previously used mode. Previously one more fm had eye strain he was sitting far away and moving closer solved it. How far do u sit?

For SDR and HDR it changes to the previously used mode. Previously one more fm had eye strain he was sitting far away and moving closer solved it. How far do u sit?
Mine is closer , i mean in 6 feet distance .

BTW , is there any mode we can enable only Sound mode , like i will listen the music but display will be in stand by mode..?

Mine is closer , i mean in 6 feet distance .

BTW , is there any mode we can enable only Sound mode , like i will listen the music but display will be in stand by mode..?
Ok may be since u watched all night. I don’t think there is any mode like that.

As mentioned, SDR and HDR, modes will be different. Even for different inputs, you can configure and use different modes.

What modes did you use for your viewing?

For HDR, the reference mode would be Cinema and Technicolor (but change white balance to Warm 2 or W40-W50). You can turn on AI Brightneas in Technicolor HDR mode so that during daylight viewing, it'll compensate for ambient light by tweaking the tone mapping.

For SDR, you can use Cinema, ISF dark or Technicolor at Warm 2, gamma 2.4 and OLED light at 25 to get reference levels with light levels close to 120 nits. Make sure to keep peak brightness at off and all dynamic options off. This is for dark room btw. Based on your ambient light, you can increase OLED light or setup a different mode for daylight viewing. If your afternoon viewing is in a super bright room, then you can use gamma of 2.2 too for viewing at that time.

Real Cinema can be used only with Trumotion Off. It's basically 5:5 pull down of 24 fps content. If stutter doesn't bug you, which is true for many, then you can use Trumotion off and Real Cinema for correct cadence.

As mentioned, SDR and HDR, modes will be different. Even for different inputs, you can configure and use different modes.

What modes did you use for your viewing?

For HDR, the reference mode would be Cinema and Technicolor (but change white balance to Warm 2 or W40-W50). You can turn on AI Brightneas in Technicolor HDR mode so that during daylight viewing, it'll compensate for ambient light by tweaking the tone mapping.

For SDR, you can use Cinema, ISF dark or Technicolor at Warm 2, gamma 2.4 and OLED light at 25 to get reference levels with light levels close to 120 nits. Make sure to keep peak brightness at off and all dynamic options off. This is for dark room btw. Based on your ambient light, you can increase OLED light or setup a different mode for daylight viewing. If your afternoon viewing is in a super bright room, then you can use gamma of 2.2 too for viewing at that time.

Real Cinema can be used only with Trumotion Off. It's basically 5:5 pull down of 24 fps content. If stutter doesn't bug you, which is true for many, then you can use Trumotion off and Real Cinema for correct cadence.

I have set AI picture mode ON , that is the reason based on the input the modes are keep on changing..?
Right now for SDR , i found comfortable with cinema mode.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back