LG C9 User Thread (No Price Talk)

Anyone using internal speakers? Earlier j was using AI sound, but ran into a problem of music being too loud and dialogues being muted. Since auto volume isn't that good and leads to weird drops even at low, I had to switch things up and experiment. Currently back to using Dolby Atmos Surround in Standard mode, acoustic tuning to Bass Boost and custom EQ to boost vocal body range. Now it sounds good and music isn't too high compared to vocals, even if it doesn't seem to surround the room as much as AI sound.

Another option might be to use Clear Voice III, but can't use surround sound with it or customise EQ. Also, with bass boost tuning the voice wasn't getting muddier. So maybe just Clear Voice III with Dolby Atmos, no surround, and standard acoustic tuning can also work.

Would love to hear what others are using, if using internal speakers at all.
I’ve been using internal speakers for watching a bunch of movies and tv shows and I’m satisfied with the performance. Not sure why they are marketing Dolby Atmos though. The effect is very muted at normal viewing distances.

I’ve been using internal speakers for watching a bunch of movies and tv shows and I’m satisfied with the performance. Not sure why they are marketing Dolby Atmos though. The effect is very muted at normal viewing distances.

Agreed. With 2.2 speakers it tends to mute the vocals especially. Although, I have it one right now. Still experimenting to get the best out of the speakers. Right now I'm back to standard acoustic tuning instead of bass boost, as it muddied the dialogues a bit in some shows, especially old TV shows. So I switched back to standard acoustic tuning and boosted the bass a tad with EQ. More or less satisfied now. Only thing I haven't decided upon is to use Dolby Atmos with Dolby Surround or just OLED surround.

What settings are you using?

Oh, another observation. Sometimes Netflix app at least chooses to play 5.1 sound, which then sounds muted and dull. I wonder if I can ensure it stops doing that instead of manually checking each time.

Can anyone confirm whether Amazon prime video is showing 1080p or HD. For it is showing just HD not 1080p HD. My UHD it is showing Ultra HD no problem wit internet.

Has anyone tried changing the location of the TV to download webos apps available in other markets? I'm interested in BBC iPlayer, Hulu and Dolby Access (demo videos).

Has anyone tried changing the location of the TV to download webos apps available in other markets? I'm interested in BBC iPlayer, Hulu and Dolby Access (demo videos).

If I'm not mistaken, that needs to be done from the service menu. Changing it from the general user available settings won't apply. Try it on your own risk.

If I'm not mistaken, that needs to be done from the service menu. Changing it from the general user available settings won't apply. Try it on your own risk.
Yup. Read about it but nothing on the 2019 OLED series. Don't want to try unless it's known to work with C9.

Tried out HDR gaming on my Xbox One X and was amazed by the jump in details and performance. Metro Exodus and RDR 2 look insane in 4K HDR. ALLM turns on automatically and VRR is also enabled from settings. Will try Gears 5 soon as which has the latest implementation of 4K HDR in Xbox.

I talked to the dealer and he said that here is no chance of it being an old model or something like that and i shouldn't worry. He said that both the sets came directly from the factory.

If I can quickly chime in here. Many international buyers of the 2019 LG OLED range have also reported this where some have had this protective film missing on the front. I would not worry about it especially if the box was opened in front of you and there was no other signs of usage.

Since you picked up two of these, make sure you speak to your dealer to check if he can get you the three year warranty currently being offered by LG as part of their Diwali promotion. T&C mentioned below (reveal spoiler)

3 Year Complete Warranty means 1 year comprehensive warranty available with all new TVs plus 2nd & 3rd year additional warranty on all parts of TV including panel /module governed by mentioned terms and conditions as: This extended warranty offer is valid in Pan India except Kerala state, This extended warranty offer is applicable on purchase of size 80cm (32) and above LG TV from selected authorized dealers/distributors/LG brand shops between 28th September’2019 to 10thNovember, 2019, This offer entitles the customer to enjoy free of cost 2 year additional (over and above the existing warranty policy) functional warranty for all parts including panels/module, and labour charges to be borne by consumers. Rest other terms and condition same as original product warranty card. Offer applicable from 28th Sep’19 ~ 31st Oct’19.

More details of the ongoing Diwali offer can be found here.

Guys, try HDR effect with these settings: Contrast: 85, Color: 40, Color Gamut: Auto and Brightness 50-54 depending on the black crush. Ootb this effect really makes skintones look weird, but after tweaking it the result is actually pretty darn good, even for dark movies like Harry Potter series and Nightcrawler. I was skeptical, but now I'm a convert. Colors remain similar and skintones don't become super saturated. All it needs is a high quality source. Netflix and Amazon Prime Video fare better here via internal apps.

If I can quickly chime in here. Many international buyers of the 2019 LG OLED range have also reported this where some have had this protective film missing on the front. I would not worry about it especially if the box was opened in front of you and there was no other signs of usage.

Since you picked up two of these, make sure you speak to your dealer to check if he can get you the three year warranty currently being offered by LG as part of their Diwali promotion. T&C mentioned below (reveal spoiler)

3 Year Complete Warranty means 1 year comprehensive warranty available with all new TVs plus 2nd & 3rd year additional warranty on all parts of TV including panel /module governed by mentioned terms and conditions as: This extended warranty offer is valid in Pan India except Kerala state, This extended warranty offer is applicable on purchase of size 80cm (32) and above LG TV from selected authorized dealers/distributors/LG brand shops between 28th September’2019 to 10thNovember, 2019, This offer entitles the customer to enjoy free of cost 2 year additional (over and above the existing warranty policy) functional warranty for all parts including panels/module, and labour charges to be borne by consumers. Rest other terms and condition same as original product warranty card. Offer applicable from 28th Sep’19 ~ 31st Oct’19.

More details of the ongoing Diwali offer can be found here.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I made a mistake in saying that there was no protective film in front. There was one, it is just that it wasn't very apparent immediately.

Regarding 3 year warranty, my dealer is saying that it is applicable on both of my sets. However, he has no idea of the warranty card stating the same. He has said that he would talk to the company and would get back to me. Once he gets them, he would provide them to me.

I got an update from my dealer that he has received the additional 2 year warranty cards from LG for TVs. So I am planning to pick up mine either today or tomorrow and will keep you guys posted here.

I have a very old Synology DS214se NAS server and I have close to 20-30 4K movies. Currently running Plex on this NAS and I am using the Plex renderer to playback these 4K content on my C9. I frequently get the error message on the TV that my network is slow for this content to playback. I use a gigabit network switch along with good quality cat6 cables. So I presume the issue is with my NAS running Plex unable to transcode this. But when I play the same move on the TVs USB port via a external HDD it plays smoothly without any lag issues. How do I overcome other than replacing the NAS :)
1.Gigabit ethernet switch isn’t of any use as the ethernet port in the C9 is 100Mbit.
2.Set Plex to directplay and use wifi ac. C8/C9 can handle all 4K formats via direct play.
3.Transcoding is not recommended for 4K content and neither is your NAS capable to do so.
4. There are some usb to gigabit lan adapters supported by the tv , google it . You can buy one of those if wifi ac is not feasible as it requires decent amount of firepower at the router’s end as well to stream these remuxes.

Hey, I purchased a lg c9 today, however I am facing a issue regarding volume level. Compared to my previous 4k LG led TV with 40w rated speaker similar to c9, the sound of oled is much lower compared to my LED in all modes including standard mode in the same environment. For same content on Netflix / Amazon if I used to keep volume level at 30 now I have to keep at 60. Is it normal for C9/Oled or I have got a defective piece.

If it's a defect, should I contact dealer or LG?

Hey, I purchased a lg c9 today, however I am facing a issue regarding volume level. Compared to my previous 4k LG led TV with 40w rated speaker similar to c9, the sound of oled is much lower compared to my LED in all modes including standard mode in the same environment. For same content on Netflix / Amazon if I used to keep volume level at 30 now I have to keep at 60. Is it normal for C9/Oled or I have got a defective piece.

If it's a defect, should I contact dealer or LG?

Thanks for coming here!! So first of all, tell us your settings.

So after much experimentation I have settled on these settings; Clear Voice III sound mode with Bass Boost acoustic tuning and Dolby Atmos turned on. All of these settings can be weird on their own. All together they combine well for me. Try them out.

Also, on Netflix, all videos with 5.1 audio play that, which sounds not so good on the TV's internal 2.2 speakers; so each time you play something with 5.1 audio, you'll have to switch the audio at the start to stereo. It's been this way for a few years. No improvement. :/

1.Gigabit ethernet switch isn’t of any use as the ethernet port in the C9 is 100Mbit.
2.Set Plex to directplay and use wifi ac. C8/C9 can handle all 4K formats via direct play.
3.Transcoding is not recommended for 4K content and neither is your NAS capable to do so.
4. There are some usb to gigabit lan adapters supported by the tv , google it . You can buy one of those if wifi ac is not feasible as it requires decent amount of firepower at the router’s end as well to stream these remuxes.

Thanks, let me answer to your questions.
1. I have my Gigabit ethernet switch is connected to my Google mesh router which is top of the line. And all my other sources like TV, NAS, PCs etc are routed through the switch.
2. How do I do this setting of directplay on Plex as I agree that C9 is able to play every format of 4K content that I have thrown at it.
3. I can see left menu option "Transcoding" but I do not see the option to switch this off and set it to direct play.
4. I will avoid the gigabit to LAN adapter and if the WiFi of C9 is better than its ethernet port then I can use my Google router.

Thanks again.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back