LG C9 User Thread (No Price Talk)

That's not burn in. It's just the pixels on those bars aren't as burned in(used up) as the rest of the screen. So they appear brighter because the rest of the pixels have degraded (over time). So kind of reverse burn if, if that's a term.
But, people have noticed that they black bar regions are lower brightness than the central region. So, it is surprising to me and I can't seem to figure out a reason for it.

But, people have noticed that they black bar regions are lower brightness than the central region. So, it is surprising to me and I can't seem to figure out a reason for it.
Never I have come across any one complaining about black bar burn in. Since you have mentioned people have noticed can you please confirm if those pple are Oled owners that you know or you saw any owners complain this in any forum? If so can u share the link please ?

Never I have come across any one complaining about black bar burn in. Since you have mentioned people have noticed can you please confirm if those pple are Oled owners that you know or you saw any owners complain this in any forum? If so can u share the link please ?
I watch movies. A lot, like a lot. No burn-in. Sorry to disappoint :)

Hi guys , bought a lg b9 65 inch recently , while watching ipl in hotstar inbuilt app , it seems somewhat laggy , what should be the perfect settings for watching cricket (i have turned off trumotion ..should i tweak dejudder etc) for me the cricket ball seems laggy , dropping frames ...netflix and remaining everything is perfect..

No burn in in 3 years. Sony A8f treated without any care after first month or so.

Only Netflix, Prime videos, hotstar and other apps but almost exhausted netflix.

No live tv, cant bear the ads. So no logo material.

TONs of black bar material though.

If you want to see black bar burn in example though, you can google and check the image section. I have seen those and got scared before buying but turned out a non issue for my usage.

Hi guys , bought a lg b9 65 inch recently , while watching ipl in hotstar inbuilt app , it seems somewhat laggy , what should be the perfect settings for watching cricket (i have turned off trumotion ..should i tweak dejudder etc) for me the cricket ball seems laggy , dropping frames ...netflix and remaining everything is perfect..
Don't use de-judder or any other Trumotion setting. You can just turn it on, and leave both the settings to zero. The ball will disappear or be duplicated at times because of it.

Rest you can take the accurate settings as base and then use extended or wide color gamut if you want more pop. I use extended. Dynamic contrast to medium or as per taste Sharpness to 20 to counter Hotstar's shitty stream. MPEG NR, NR and smooth gradation to low. Super resolution to high.

Also, shitty stream. You can only do so much.

Ideally for sports, higher frame rate stream itself is what's needed for smoother playback. The bigger size of the TV means you notice the ball stuttering more compared to let's say a 40 inch TV. I watch often in parents' bedroom on smaller TCL TV, and it hides the flaws better because of the smaller size. On phone, it looks even sharper. Can't be helped.

Forget hotstar for sports. It is horrible. Get DTH.

Guys sorry for the noob question, Hope someone is using a hybrid stb with their oled. today I have got a new Airtel xstream DTH connection but After switching from TV to stb's hdmi, HDR automatically turns on and going back to the LG webOS it automatically turns off. Due to this even the non HDR contents has boosted brightness (yes I am talking about of the home screen of Airtel Xstream and all the apps in there , even sd yt videos). So is there anyway to stop turning on HDR automatically when going into the stb? :).
Thanks.

I'm about to get an OLED tv. Just waiting for the Diwali price drop.

Had a few queries regarding the content.
I'm subscribed to most of the streaming services (Netflix, Prime, etc), but I've recently been hearing a few things about how compression artifacts are still present while streaming 4k Netflix.

Is there a better way to watch high-budget films?
I'm actually planning to have a 1Tb network mapped drive to download and delete after watching a movie.
Do those 60-80Gb Bluray rips make a legit noticeable difference?

I'm subscribed to most of the streaming services (Netflix, Prime, etc), but I've recently been hearing a few things about how compression artifacts are still present while streaming 4k Netflix.

I'm actually planning to have a 1Tb network mapped drive to download and delete after watching a movie.
Netflix streams 4k and Dolby Vision content at max of 15.25 Mbps, which is about 12.5-13 GB per a two hour film. For most scenes this is actually good. Only in some scenes where there are large, flat expanses of grey will you see some banding. Rare only though.

So if you want to improve upon that, you can get 25-30 GB rips of movies. You might want to do that anyway, because apart from original content, other films aren't in HDR on Amazon or Netflix, or even 4k, but they are released as 4k HDR bluray. So that settles that I guess.

Overall, streaming for internal apps, I'm pretty happy on my 55-inch C9. 65-inch owners might have a differing opinion, but getting an external device makes sense terms of video quality only if the apps on that device offer better bitrates. I don't think so though because this cap is from the end of Netflix, and I'm sure Amazon has it too.

Again, you might have other reasons to add a streaming device though, including Plex. I was miffed by inconsistency of streaming over Wi-Fi, and the problem might actually be my router, but putting them in USB just made sense to me as it's consistent and the PC also runs for lesser amount of time. Save electricity. #climatechange lol

Many do use Plex for streaming over local netwrok and Kodi too. You can look into the latter too. Love4sound recomended that to me.

Guys sorry for the noob question, Hope someone is using a hybrid stb with their oled. today I have got a new Airtel xstream DTH connection but After switching from TV to stb's hdmi, HDR automatically turns on and going back to the LG webOS it automatically turns off. Due to this even the non HDR contents has boosted brightness (yes I am talking about of the home screen of Airtel Xstream and all the apps in there , even sd yt videos). So is there anyway to stop turning on HDR automatically when going into the stb? :).
Thanks.

Mmmm...I don't have Xstream box, so can't really guide you here exactly, but this is something to do from the end of Airtel device, because that's sending the signal. The TV is displaying what it's receiving. You need to check the settings of the Airtel device and figure out how to turn it off there.

Streaming cannot match up to physical disc quality. That said, most newer series on Netflix and Prime streaming look amazing on OLED. Some minor banding issues will be present on bit starved content. Game of Thrones is one such series. OLED TVs have some difficulty in coming out of pure black as well. These issues are very far and few with latest sets. My 55C7 does so much better than 55E6 I had. Surely the latest sets are much improved. Don’t stress :) just buy an OLED.

For native 4k content, it doesn't make that much of a difference, but it's there. Majority of the gains actually come from good upscaling of 1080p content which is plenty.

For 4k, the absolute best performance will come from either a full Bluray rip/REMUX (untouched) or a high quality encode(15-25GB, HEVC main 10), combined with an excellent renderer.

If money is not an object, I'd highly suggest putting 80-90k on an HTPC(Ryzen R5, RTX 2070,...) and get proper MadVR set up for dynamic tone mapping, excellent upscaling, dithering and anti-aliasing. It really makes a difference, especially on 1080p upscaling. If your main PC is in the same room, just put a long HDMI cable to the TV and that can be done too without extra cost.

You can also go for importing or getting an Nvidia shield TV 2019 from a friend which also has AI upscaling that actually does nicely (it won't beat NGU algorithm in MadVR though). One benefit of Nvidia shield also is that it'll also upscale Netflix, prime and other OTT content.

If you just want plain streaming and have a good router, you can put an HDD on your router and get SMB set up. Your router needs to be at least decent though as full REMUX can be upto 100 Mbps. This combined with how your TV buffers can cause video pauses. Alternate solution is Plex, which can also be done using a PC as Plex server. (I have over 3TB shared over my network using Plex and even the 50+ GB REMUX play just fine)

For native 4k content, it doesn't make that much of a difference, but it's there. Majority of the gains actually come from good upscaling of 1080p content which is plenty.

For 4k, the absolute best performance will come from either a full Bluray rip/REMUX (untouched) or a high quality encode(15-25GB, HEVC main 10), combined with an excellent renderer.

If money is not an object, I'd highly suggest putting 80-90k on an HTPC(Ryzen R5, RTX 2070,...) and get proper MadVR set up for dynamic tone mapping, excellent upscaling, dithering and anti-aliasing. It really makes a difference, especially on 1080p upscaling. If your main PC is in the same room, just put a long HDMI cable to the TV and that can be done too without extra cost.

You can also go for importing or getting an Nvidia shield TV 2019 from a friend which also has AI upscaling that actually does nicely (it won't beat NGU algorithm in MadVR though). One benefit of Nvidia shield also is that it'll also upscale Netflix, prime and other OTT content.

If you just want plain streaming and have a good router, you can put an HDD on your router and get SMB set up. Your router needs to be at least decent though as full REMUX can be upto 100 Mbps. This combined with how your TV buffers can cause video pauses. Alternate solution is Plex, which can also be done using a PC as Plex server. (I have over 3TB shared over my network using Plex and even the 50+ GB REMUX play just fine)

How do you know MadVR offers any advantage over DTM, upscaling and processing of C9 or B9? Do you have either of these TVs?

How do you know MadVR offers any advantage over DTM, upscaling and processing of C9 or B9? Do you have either of these TVs?
The SNR of MadVR upscaling is around 25 for upscale which is only beaten by non realtime algorithms like Waifu2x. There'sa lot of research on this which proves it's the best renderer. The creator of MadVR owns an LG C9.

There are a lot of folks with C7/8/9s using MadVR on AVS Forums and according to them it's not even close. I'm an active part of that community because I have a lot of content and use MadVR for all the content I have.

Just to give you an idea how good MadVR is, the Envy renderer device is selling for $10000, uses the same algorithm and is critically acclaimed to be the best for high end AV setup.

The SNR of MadVR upscaling is around 25 for upscale which is only beaten by non realtime algorithms like Waifu2x. There'sa lot of research on this which proves it's the best renderer. The creator of MadVR owns an LG C9.

There are a lot of folks with C7/8/9s using MadVR on AVS Forums and according to them it's not even close. I'm an active part of that community because I have a lot of content and use MadVR for all the content I have.

Just to give you an idea how good MadVR is, the Envy renderer device is selling for $10000, uses the same algorithm and is critically acclaimed to be the best for high end AV setup.

If you don't have comparisons, then do link to these threads that you mention. Preferably where someone has done comparisons with the internal processing. Would interesting to precisely see what benefits it offers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back