LG CX Discussion (No Price Talk)

I have never experienced such heat in my c9 Even in HDR where all settings are maxed and my c9 doesn’t get that hot. Ur settings are way off for an Oled. U need to calibrate to accurate modes and watch SDR. In ur current settings it will look cartoonish and over exposed image.
It is only an SDR specific issue for it never happens in HDR or DV even at maxed out settings. I am sure there is some logical HDR vs SDR explanation behind it all. I will give ISF Bright a go but I feel it's my high OLED light in SDR combo causing the issue.

It is only an SDR specific issue for it never happens in HDR or DV even at maxed out settings. I am sure there is some logical HDR vs SDR explanation behind it all. I will give ISF Bright a go but I feel it's my high OLED light in SDR combo causing the issue.
If that is the case have LG tech check once.

Time out guys!! Let's take a break and analyze the psychology here. We are all humans and we have tendencies to criticize a product that is a favorite by the masses. I am guilty of that too, a couple of days back when I felt the U7890 Toshiba was overhyped but later realised I must have hurt the sentiments of those who own a set. I publicly apologized too. LG CX is a hugely hyped TV as well and obviously there are a few who would rant about it. It is in the nature of humans. I also don't think it is wrong to express our displeasure openly. It will not stop the product from being sold further. The manufacturer won't give a rat's rear end if their products are bashed by one outlier unsatisfied individual. So chill. Don't take on the remarks seriously. It is not misinformation or bashing. Maybe even a buyer's remorse - a conundrum very common to human psychology from times known in anthropology. LG CX would have many likers and dislikes all the same and no need to be angry either which way.

Sure but there was thread comparing sony and lg oleds and I had mentioned that proper comparison can only be made post calibration by an professional and lg's in general are harder to setup due to numerous expert settings. In india professional calibration is a very niche activity and generally do not find them. Further as regards tons of ppl saying that qleds are better you can always find tons of ppl for oleds too. In my experience I have found oleds better than leds. Seeing your settings and your belief that standard is neutral is not ok. For neutral settings you need to get the tv calibrated. As most ppl do not employ the services of a professional calibrator therefore the experts generally try to tell us that the movie settings have the most accurate color and that is why ppl choose it. I will again state that only a properly calibrated panel can give you a neutral image and it may not be what you have percieved . Let me also chk up my panel on the temp rise and revert.

Further I have generally understood that hdr/dv will decode the signal with the full range of the colour gamut and brightness of the tv being able to display this is something we have in our avr like dynamic compression or night mode.

In this thread we can discuss the better settings anybody has applied for dark rooms, rooms with ambient lighting, or keeping some light strips behind the TV for a better viewing experience, etc

I too enjoy cricket and sports and though I do not subscribe to cable but get it through hotstar and it is only 1080p/i . Sony liv and hotstar generally suck in cricket and football (maybe due to the higher no of concurrent viewers) but in badminton and f1 I think hotstar has a better pq than tatasky.

I am also not sure did tatasky switch to 1080p afaik they were broadcasting in 1080i initially for their hd channels and this makes a difference during upscaling.

I had considered samsung and sony lcds too but ultimately settled for the cx due to a variety of factors. Maybe the upcoming qneds, minileds or microleds will change the scenario.

Last edited:
Hi friends, I now realise I have been unduly harsh on LG CX, I had unrealistic expectations to begin with n it's not LG or OLEDs fault, after all you guys are happy with your sets n as are many folks internationally.

Maybe my panel is defective along with the processor hence HDR highlights n upscaling are not where they should be. I am in my warranty n if I create a royal ruckus they will be forced to replace my panel.

But now I feel it is not worth pursuing as OLED n me don't agree with each other.As Mini Led launches I will give this set to my dad or on sale online.

But this shouldn't be construed as a LG CX failing but rather my inherent preferences.

No I got the 65CX. 77 is beyond my reach due to budgetary constraints (primarily) and WAF ;)
Please do check the temperature reading of the panel in SDR with OLED light set to 90 for extended period like 20-25 minutes both with your A/C off n on. It is less likely to do with Standard mode but rather high OLED light , once I get back home I will lower the OLED light to 50 n then measure accordingly

As LG Cus Care was clueless regarding both the heating n it's long term impact on longetivety of the panel. I might not be keeping the set much longer myself but other owners can benefit n be more aware.

Okay, so in standard mode I lowered the OLED light to 50 n still got a reading of 40 degrees , then I switched to Cinema mode default settings n after 15 minutes the temperature was even hotter at 43 degrees. Now with my Split AC on n BTW it is placed directly in front of the TV it hovers around 36 degrees which is still quite warm.

Do you guys switch off the TV after switching off the remote on/off button and cooling it off for 5 minutes or the main power switch can be switched off immediately after switching off the remote? The installation guy adviced A5 minutes of cool off time. That's why I ask.

I generally do not switch if off but leave it on standby. Once or twice a week I switch it off from the mains. This is because many ppl in this forum have said it is better to keep it in standby. Sometimes power-cuts do happen but are few. Further I have it connected through a stabiliser to take care of voltage fluctuations and has a delay start.

Let me measure the temperature of TV today and see the readings.

I generally do not switch if off but leave it on standby. Once or twice a week I switch it off from the mains. This is because many ppl in this forum have said it is better to keep it in standby. Sometimes power-cuts do happen but are few. Further I have it connected through a stabiliser to take care of voltage fluctuations and has a delay start.

Let me measure the temperature of TV today and see the readings.
What's the option for temperature reading?

Do you guys switch off the TV after switching off the remote on/off button and cooling it off for 5 minutes or the main power switch can be switched off immediately after switching off the remote? The installation guy adviced A5 minutes of cool off time. That's why I ask.
I don't have a OLED TV. I have Led TV and
never switch off mains after switching off TV via remote. The mains remains ON 24/7. Been using different brand Led's since 2009 and followed the same method.

Is it different for OLED's?

I don't have a OLED TV. I have Led TV and
never switch off mains after switching off TV via remote. The mains remains ON 24/7. Been using different brand Led's since 2009 and followed the same method.

Is it different for OLED's?
Once every 4 hours there will be a pixel refresher in oled’s so the mains needs to be on during that period. So I always leave the mains on for 30 minutes since avr is connected to Ac infinity which will cool the avr and cover the pixel refresh as well

How to get the temperature reading. The back of the panel feels normal to touch not even warm and the front is maybe a degree or two higher. I measured with an infrared thermometer and got 95.8 f. This after running the TV with sdr content in the hdr picture mode for an hour.

How to get the temperature reading. The back of the panel feels normal to touch not even warm and the front is maybe a degree or two higher. I measured with an infrared thermometer and got 95.8 f. This after running the TV with sdr content in the hdr picture mode for an hour.
I have an infra red Heat Gun, 95.8 f or 35 degrees seems all right after an hour of continuous use. It is usually the centre of the screen which is the warmest. My Uncle Plasma used to get really hot, u could hang a wet handkerchief in front of it n it would get dry after 15 minutes.

OLED owners can almost worry too much at times, there is no need to babysit the TV as such, my case is different, a combo of a dicey panel n way I juice up the TV like a QLED is not how most OLED owners use there sets.

OLED owners can almost worry too much at times, there is no need to babysit the TV as such, my case is different, a combo of a dicey panel n way I juice up the TV like a QLED is not how most OLED owners use there sets.
I don't what technical rational your installation guy base his 5 minute cool off theory on but I haven't heard anything like that.

Most owners keep there sets on standby mode for that 4 minutes compensation pixel refresh cycle once you have complted a cumulative 4 hours of TV usage.

But if you ask me it is not a big deal, I have done more than 2000 hours on my CX, undergone that 45 minute long pixel refresh feature, I watch so much Cricket n Football with the channel logo on top n Tata Sky logo in the bottom corner.

Burn might be a scientific reality but with newer OLEDs it is nearly impossible if you know what I mean. Just enjoy your new set for now.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back