LG CX Discussion (No Price Talk)

Permanent burn in - ok - I can understand needs rough usage to have it imprinted but image retention is something that happens even with new OLED TVs. Right?

Permanent burn in - ok - I can understand needs rough usage to have it imprinted but image retention is something that happens even with new OLED TVs. Right?
LG n other OLEDs have something called ABL or Automatic Brightness Limiter. In the picture settings there is this OLED screen saver option, please enable the Screen Shift n then enable the logo luminance to either high or low.

Then there is that 7 or 8 minute long pixel refresh that TV does when in standby mode after every 4 hours of cumulative usage. There is no way of quantifying it so just shut down the TV for 10 minutes after long continuous usage.

Image retention even if it has to happen will most likely only be after you completed like 5000 hours of TV usage.

After buying this LG CX, I have a slight buyer's remorse that black crushing is even more so evident than I thought it would be. The shadow details are poor due to the ABL algo in OLED and by the very nature of pixels switching off and unlike dimming in FALD panels, some details are missing. But I can live with that as the national geographic kind of documentaries are so clear that I can see the brown taint in the whisker of an adult bengal tiger glitter in the sunshine - a sight less enjoyable in the FALD technology. We are to drop prejudices and admire an OLED or else it would not please us.

It's very natural/ physiological trait that once we spend large on a gadget/ consumer tech we often suffer from buyers remorse.

Yes there is black crush but it is also there on the rival Samsung Mini Led.

The two inherent weak points of OLED is low HDR brightness n less colour volume.

The newer OLEDs this year from LG , Sony, Panasonic, Phillips all have far more relaxed ABL. Now all that's futile as you have already made the purchase n I believe paid the full amount.

If your Pros far outweigh the cons then you have made a worthwhile decision n should enjoy the set for years to come.

More than buyer's remorse it is probably the TV I sold that gives me these phychological emotions. The previous 4 year old Sony 9300D 65" that I sold to my tenant for ~50 grands which got replaced by this OLED had a brilliant PQ by itself although it was edgelit with frame dimming. It hit 1300 candelas to an OLED's 600-650 and for movies in a dark room - it held its own if compared to LG CX but the LG CX OLED does not cause eye pain which is the MAIN solace. And the OLED craving for nearly 5 years almost ended up as a distant mirage as one may use as the anology here isn't exactly what I imagined. The other solace is now my wife watches some Tamil films, my children love their PS4 games (Red dead redemption, God of war kind of games are simply superb in an OLED), I love watching nature based documentaries in this OLED, am able to pair my BT-headset, better voice command remote control and above all my content is never SD for realising the worth of the brilliantly up-scaling monster the Sony 9300D and thus not missing it that much.

More than buyer's remorse it is probably the TV I sold that gives me these phychological emotions. The previous 4 year old Sony 9300D 65" that I sold to my tenant for ~50 grands which got replaced by this OLED had a brilliant PQ by itself although it was edgelit with frame dimming. It hit 1300 candelas to an OLED's 600-650 and for movies in a dark room - it held its own if compared to LG CX but the LG CX OLED does not cause eye pain which is the MAIN solace. And the OLED craving for nearly 5 years almost ended up as a distant mirage as one may use as the anology here isn't exactly what I imagined. The other solace is now my wife watches some Tamil films, my children love their PS4 games (Red dead redemption, God of war kind of games are simply superb in an OLED), I love watching nature based documentaries in this OLED, am able to pair my BT-headset, better voice command remote control and above all my content is never SD for realising the worth of the brilliantly up-scaling monster the Sony 9300D and thus not missing it that much.
What a good TV 930D n next year's X930E was. Many say that was the last true flagship 4k LED TV from Sony. Since 2018 Samsung has replaced Sony as king of LED TV.

I must say your tenant got a real sweet deal. CX might not be a great upscaler or HDR TV but it is great for playing games ,watching Cartoons, Nature documentaries, Movies in a dark room.

Since you don't watch SD or lower bitrate 1080i FHD content the CX is very good for you n your family usecase. As you said you had that 5 year long OLED itch to scratch so atleast that's crossed of your list.

Yes it should in all probability but just double check with Cus care. I just love the magic remote i.e the red pointer, I am going to miss it badly when I move onto Samsung.

Yes it should in all probability but just double check with Cus care. I just love the magic remote i.e the red pointer, I am going to miss it badly when I move onto Samsung.
I wanted to know if c9 remote can be used with cX TV because in another forum this question was asked and I'd learn something new about the product I own. I haven't familiarised myself with the magic remote function of red pointer but I am using the built in Alexa or the voice function or whatever it is called - it is very handy. For instance I can just use it to change picture settings to film maker mode without toggling much. That's the magic of the remote. Not that hovering pointer. Infact I find it awkward.

Actually magic remote is quite intuitive and has become my go to remote. Well I have tried to control firestick by the magic remote but am still not able to. The pointer function is great it grows on you.

My wife n daughter are enamored of Red pointer n my dog when he first saw it would charge towards it barking non stop lol, now he has gotten used to it.
This dog (yours truly) still hasn't gotten used to it though :) call me old fashioned, I still search for the mouse pad!

You discarded all advice to get a sony OLED. It is on you.

Noone is talking about "better" blacks. They are talking about brightness and black crushing nature (lack of shadow details) of OLEDs.
OLED is not synonymous to LG or black crush. I noticed the black crush the day I got the CX, not so much in my 4 year stint with sony OLED.
LG panels are good. They are cheaper than sony. But if you have both the tvs, tend to prefer sony on the long run and in less than ideal content.
Most people's buying decision here is honestly based on price. Including yours and mine (as a second OLED) and they go to justify the process since they have nothing else to compare against or watch only streaming content. With the tvs side by side or having replaced a sony with LG, the differences in picture processing should be very evident. I have specifically told you will have remorse moving from a 9300.
If you tell this, people call you a fanboy or gets discarded in gazillion of posts saying otherwise from people who have not seen the tvs side by side for more than 2 minutes. Should learn some respect before using such badges on 40 year olds spending their own money on tech. There is nothing fannish or boyish in the observation. Also, sony doesnt need much if any tinkering of settings, LG needed days of fine tuning which many wont even do.
If the observation from living with the 2 tvs is same as watching the tvs side by side for 2 minutes, so be it.
For others, look at sony more purposefully.

Last edited:
You discarded all advice to get a sony OLED. It is on you.
I was on the brink of buying a Sony A8G online for 2.08 lakhs but then had the following to consider
1) it is 2019 model, 2020 Sony OLEDs(A8H and A9G) were ~2.65 lakhs and clearly 75k more than 1.9l I bought this CX 65 for. As you know, already I bought a 75" TV 8000H for 2.11L+14k(EW) and so those extra savings mean a lot to me.
2) My remorse is understandable and I don't need someone to placate me either as it was a near 5 year old Hall TV turned room TV. It could go bust soon and while it is working I can sell it for a reasonable price. It was ultra-bright and was getting to my eyes as i have a room atmosphere meant for OLED TVs or something soothing to the eyes, my wife refused to watch anything in 9300D or did so only when I had the bias lighting on at the back. That left only my children remaining to watch the 9300D. They played PS4 games - but for them also LG CX is better. I therefore have less regrets!
3) My tenant cum neighbour had earlier bought a Vu TV from me too with all gladness. Talk about 40s, he is 5-6 years older than me and at 48 only he is seeing a 55" and 65" tv all (as he puts it) thanks to me. It has not gone too far away from me as well, if that's any the desperate need for the hour solace :)

Hi Guys while watching IPL highlights on Hotstar I noticed the native App didn't support DV on supported titles while weirdly when watching Hotstar through my Amazon Fire stick it does display DV just fine. Are u guys facing similar issues...

Another anomaly is that Netflix Native App DV is fantastic while that of Firestick is dim n muted.

I was on the brink of buying a Sony A8G online for 2.08 lakhs but then had the following to consider
1) it is 2019 model, 2020 Sony OLEDs(A8H and A9G) were ~2.65 lakhs and clearly 75k more than 1.9l I bought this CX 65 for. As you know, already I bought a 75" TV 8000H for 2.11L+14k(EW) and so those extra savings mean a lot to me.
2) My remorse is understandable and I don't need someone to placate me either as it was a near 5 year old Hall TV turned room TV. It could go bust soon and while it is working I can sell it for a reasonable price. It was ultra-bright and was getting to my eyes as i have a room atmosphere meant for OLED TVs or something soothing to the eyes, my wife refused to watch anything in 9300D or did so only when I had the bias lighting on at the back. That left only my children remaining to watch the 9300D. They played PS4 games - but for them also LG CX is better. I therefore have less regrets!
3) My tenant cum neighbour had earlier bought a Vu TV from me too with all gladness. Talk about 40s, he is 5-6 years older than me and at 48 only he is seeing a 55" and 65" tv all (as he puts it) thanks to me. It has not gone too far away from me as well, if that's any the desperate need for the hour solace :)
I too have a VU 55 Premium 2019 installed in our guest room , some obvious DSE n screen uniformity issue but overall good VFM.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back