LG vs Sony OLEDs

My hall Sony 75" TV got repaired within 1 month of its purchase and I was given the option of exchanging it off for either
1) a further 90k for a Sony A8H 65" OLED
2) a further 2.2L for a 75" 9500H FALD

Or to just keep this after repairing the panel. I chose the third option. These exchanges during service center transactions would be considered at maximum retail prices of Sony and not on a dealer's price. My curiosity with FALD and OLED was huge but I felt for predominantly TV serial watching, this current size and resolution is more than a mouthful. I was this close in closing out an OLED (65") but many said bigger sized screen trumps PQ for standard definition content.
I think keeping the 75" in the hall and getting a better 65" OLED TV for a light controlled room is the best option. Hall TVs are generally watched with other people, and 65" will hurt there as you all won't be able to sit close to the TV and hence won't be able to maintain the immersion.

On the other end, a bedroom/den TV is watched alone most of the time and can be light controlled as well. A 65" OLED makes a lot more sense in that case as you can then watch from closer 6-7 feet to get immersion and control the lighting in the room, making OLED look all that better.

Also, if it's for movie/shows watching alone and no gaming/PC use, spend the extra for the Sony. The better upscaling and motion handling is worth it.

So 65" should be the best fit then which I already have. Then maybe I will drop the idea of a super large OLED dream. I was thinking when nature related 4k content when played might be a relishing sight - all those pristine Thai beaches and blue lagoons, ever green Amazon Forrest covers, vast expanse of desert dunes with shining golden soil, snow-capped mountains and other discovery channel and national geographic content when played by a 77" self illuminating screen, would be magical and is worth every penny for people like us. The super rich would flaunt monies in sea facing villas, yacht, private jets and what not but I was content in a brilliant display of visual experience sitting at home having an ultimate high end TV that caters to that.
I understand totally and even I'm in the same boat. But for ~7 feet I feel a 77" might be too large. My sitting position is about 10 feet and a 77" seems perfect for the distance. But one day we'll successfully sail the 77" OLED brigade.

Planet earth is brilliant would be encompassing in that size :drools:

... just my opinion here.
Large Screens will always give you a sense of immersion ( think of mini VR ) , higher resolution - still better. OLED large screen still better.
the moment you scale down a bit on any parameters (size, quality,etc ) you loose THAT part of the fun.

A good quality panels will be like a natural window , one can loose the sense of surroundings , being transparent , being there.

Note: been a enthusiast in gaming ( for almost 10/15 years - usually for Rich Stories- Story mode/Easy mode :) ) larger screen/higher resolution felt more at home ( especially on Strategies ), for FPS(firstPersonShooter) prefer to look for hardware that can pump out more FPS(frames/sec ). Sitting/viewing distance can always be adjusted to a comfortable position considering the size.
Definitely, but there's definitely something as TOO big. As I've said above, a 77" at 7 feet is a tad large for my tastes. But who knows when I get it, I may as well adjust to it quickly. I just bought a CX so no plans for the next 6-7 years at least :|

Those are still outrageous prices. The 55" C series OLED costs around $1400-1500 in US and can be had for 1.1-1.2 lakhs in India (including cashback). That's almost a 1:1 dollar to rupee conversion. Similar case with the 65" OLEDs where $2300-2500 price translates to 1.6-1.7 lakhs or so in India. This is also a 1:1 mapping.

On the other hand, the CX 77" routinely goes for $3000-3500 in the US. This should translate to 2.5 lakhs in India. However the pricing is triple that. That's where I have a problem with.
Many years back when I got a 52" from the US it was 3.5 lac in India - My price was between 1-2k USD.
Lots of people at the time in India has 40/42" TV maximum but the 52 was a high price jump. Which is why I bought & shipped it from US (was moving back so.. )

My observation here being, that until a SEGMENT of TV Size becomes common/ mass in terms of quantity they end up being Premium Priced.

I do not think we'll see PRICE PARITY in the higher size/ segment until the quantity or size of market somehow is more in parity as well. Again, we can hope for that some day.

Sony 75"9500H in www.shopatsc.com (Sony center's website) is showing 2.82 lakhs. It was 3.79 till about a month ago. Infact 75"9500G was selling at that price not a while ago and I thought that was a huge value for money pricing. "H" coming to that price is a glimpse of big screen TVs even in latest models are subsidising due to huge middle class demand in India.

Infact 75"9500G was selling at that price not a while ago and I thought that was a huge value for money pricing.
I wouldn't call it value for money pricing in the least. 75" TVs do not command 2x the price of 65" TVs. They should be around 40-50% more expensive to be even considered on par with other countries, let alone being value for money.
"H" coming to that price is a glimpse of big screen TVs even in latest models are subsidising due to huge middle class demand in India.
The 75" X950H is priced at $2500 in the US right now. So even 2.82 lakhs is a pretty mediocre price. 2.2-2.5 is what I'd consider normal Indian pricing in line with the 55" and 65" models. Anything above is carrying a premium.

It's just demand and supply. Almost no one is buying/can afford the 75"+ sets and hence low volume makes them even more expensive. It should normalize in 2-3 years but we're not there yet.

Honestly, I don't get the appeal of 75" TVs. They're too big and expensive to be normal TVs and a bit too small to be proper home theatre experience from 8-10 feet away. If I'm going big, I'll go for 83-90" size.

I wouldn't call it value for money pricing in the least. 75" TVs do not command 2x the price of 65" TVs. They should be around 40-50% more expensive to be even considered on par with other countries, let alone being value for money.

The 75" X950H is priced at $2500 in the US right now. So even 2.82 lakhs is a pretty mediocre price. 2.2-2.5 is what I'd consider normal Indian pricing in line with the 55" and 65" models. Anything above is carrying a premium.

It's just demand and supply. Almost no one is buying/can afford the 75"+ sets and hence low volume makes them even more expensive. It should normalize in 2-3 years but we're not there yet.

Honestly, I don't get the appeal of 75" TVs. They're too big and expensive to be normal TVs and a bit too small to be proper home theatre experience from 8-10 feet away. If I'm going big, I'll go for 83-90" size.
1) 83-90" we will get there soon.
2) Sony 75" 9500G and/or H is FALD and so it holds a huge premium compared to say 8000H 75" for 2.11 lakhs it was priced a few months ago. That's just 71k more for such PQ difference. Which is why I say it is VFM. Not based on USD India purchasing power parity. And I know folks who have bought it at 3.79 lakhs during Nov-December '20.
3) A lot of people in recent times have gone for 75" variants and so you don't get TCL or Vu 75" TVs for ~1 lakh price points online as it goes out of stock. For the branding the big boys sell their stuff at 2 lakhs and above creating a niche/elite buyer base. But there are people who can afford these TVs priced at high side of things compared to its USD conversion rates. The nataas and Babus of the country have put in a huge tax price tag to these TVs unfortunately and we can't change the corrupt set up. Subramanyam Swami believes all taxes must be abolished for more liquidity in dynamics of a 1.2 billion population economy but that's another debate. In due course this 2.82 lakhs will come down to 2.2 lakhs and that will become a herd favorite. A FALD 75" at 2.2 lakhs, is going to be noded by a bunch of folks who know price patterns of big screens. Currently a Vu 85" FALD at 2.7 lakhs is seriously being considered by FMers here.

C1 Oled listed above 2k USD for 55 inch, 65" 2800 and 4k for 77".. Seem a bit pricey this year launches. Likewise for A90J

C1 Oled listed above 2k USD for 55 inch, 65" 2800 and 4k for 77".. Seem a bit pricey this year launches. Likewise for A90J
Stores in the US are selling 55" C1 for $1599. The amazon price listing will be corrected in due time.

From LG, this year prices are down 10-20% compared to last year. There can be retailer markup due to the supply-demand mismatch in COVID like it is for other electronics right now but that will stabilize by Q3.

Well the 65" C1 will be a very tempting proposition this year end, if its priced between 1.6- 2L, the games begin :p
It most definitely will be less than 1.6 lakhs. Even the CX was available for 1.6L(incl. cashback) last Diwali if you looked around. One FM also got 65" CX for 1.48L if I remember correctly. Since the C1 is 10-20% cheaper, it will 100% be available below 1.5 lakhs(hopefully around 1.4) around that time if you look around.

Obviously, this is assuming nothing goes wrong this year with the supply situation like what's going on with PC hardware.

Wait for dewali. That’s when the best deals are available. Bajaj had unbelievable pricing for CX last year. ₹1.48L for 65”/₹1.05L for 55”. A8H for ₹1.95.

My dad wanted a new TV in Dec :rolleyes: and I ended up paying ₹1.64L after CB. Which isn’t that bad either. A8H was ₹2.3L then hence settled with CX.

Wait for dewali. That’s when the best deals are available. Bajaj had unbelievable pricing for CX last year. ₹1.48L for 65”/₹1.05L for 55”. A8H for ₹1.95.

My dad wanted a new TV in Dec :rolleyes: and I ended up paying ₹1.64L after CB. Which isn’t that bad either. A8H was ₹2.3L then hence settled with CX.
1.64L for a 65" CX???????

1.64L for a 65" CX???????
At a point during Diwali, some forum members were able to strike such deals. Group buy mode, showing other showroom offers and what not helping them at a festive time volume clearance period when salesmen could be convinced for lower prices. But after that period it was priced back to normal tags.

It most definitely will be less than 1.6 lakhs. Even the CX was available for 1.6L(incl. cashback) last Diwali if you looked around. One FM also got 65" CX for 1.48L if I remember correctly. Since the C1 is 10-20% cheaper, it will 100% be available below 1.5 lakhs(hopefully around 1.4) around that time if you look around.

Obviously, this is assuming nothing goes wrong this year with the supply situation like what's going on with PC hardware.
Yes CX 65” @ ₹1.48L was in HYD bajaj

Thats still a killer deal for a 65" oled, i remember paying 1.7L for my 55" B6 oled in 2017 :eek:
Electronics always works that way. Higher configurations and latest devices are sold at a cheaper price than the past. I once bought an AMD K6 400 processor based computer for Rs.65000 back in 1997. The hard disk was 300 MB I think and RAM was 256 MB. At that time it was a wonder! But now it will be a Hyder Ali era junk.

Look at the positive side! You have had the opportunity to watch TV in an OLED TV for 4 years now. Even today Sony A9G at 55" costs that much!

The problem is that TV usually dies in any month and people cannot wait till Diwali for huge OLED discounts. Of Course some people plan and replace their TV accordingly but majority just buy after the old one dies.

LG CX is sold to one customer for Rs.2,27,000 today and I get it for Rs.190000. In Sony it is fixed and they don't give room to even negotiate and bargain.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back