LG vs Sony OLEDs

LG needs quite a bit of tweaking to make things look right especially skin tones.

Sony looks great out of the box with very little adjustments.
LG does take bit more time to tweak. But end results are very close to Sony, at much less cost. So I felt LG was a better vfm. When I got LG...the A8H 65 was 2.35 while 65CX was 1.75

I feel while LG is excellent, the Sony is exceptional. Whether it’s 60k more exceptional is for the buyer to decide.

I feel while LG is excellent, the Sony is exceptional. Whether it’s 60k more exceptional is for the buyer to decide.

Sony's business model is tweaked towards US and not India.

In US, there is a whole line of business for calibrating the TV to get the best out of it.
The cost for the service is considerable since it involves professional work which is costly (any non automated human work is costly in US).

You can live without calibration on any sony starting from lower ranges upto the master class. For other brands it will be a hit or miss.

So while 60k difference for flagship TVs might look like a lot of money and considerably blown out in the indian context, a $200-$300 difference in the US context might turn out cheaper than getting a different brand tv and calibrating it professionally with arguably not so great results.

Any idea what prices the 65" Sony A9G is going for at retail stores? online i see it for approx 2.6L, wonder if they will go for better discounts when the A90J launches..

Any idea what prices the 65" Sony A9G is going for at retail stores? online i see it for approx 2.6L, wonder if they will go for better discounts when the A90J launches..
I had the same quote and since it is masters series no bargaining is entertained by them. They would say Sony would never accept a penny lesser than this price in billing invoice figures. But I found a way out to reduce the price a bit. Tell them to pin a combo soundbar offer and then cancel that order to get about max 7k more indirectly provided the salesman agrees to use that loophole. I am still getting calls following that tactical deal which I decided against.

I had the same quote and since it is masters series no bargaining is entertained by them. They would say Sony would never accept a penny lesser than this price in billing invoice figures. But I found a way out to reduce the price a bit. Tell them to pin a combo soundbar offer and then cancel that order to get about max 7k more indirectly provided the salesman agrees to use that loophole. I am still getting calls following that tactical deal which I decided against.
Well once the A90J launches here i m sure Sony India will change their mind to clear stocks ;)

Will wait & see as its only 4-5 months Max before the A90J lands here..

Well once the A90J launches here i m sure Sony India will change their mind to clear stocks ;)

Will wait & see as its only 4-5 months Max before the A90J lands here..
Definitely. Better to wait. I had gone near the store for some other purpose and so just half heartedly inquired walking in. (A lot of hype on this television caught my curiosity). And if I expend this corpus right now, I might not be able to buy a 77" OLED I have in my mind in another year or so with the SIPs increasing the corpus and 77" OLED coming down in price converging in a sweet spot in the graph at about a year and a half. Until then this TV will suffice as it is 65" as well.
So basically it is better to wait and watch for five to six months than to hussle into a purchase at the moment.

Definitely. Better to wait. I had gone near the store for some other purpose and so just half heartedly inquired walking in. (A lot of hype on this television caught my curiosity). And if I expend this corpus right now, I might not be able to buy a 77" OLED I have in my mind in another year or so with the SIPs increasing the corpus and 77" OLED coming down in price converging in a sweet spot in the graph at about a year and a half. Until then this TV will suffice as it is 65" as well.
So basically it is better to wait and watch for five to six months than to hussle into a purchase at the moment.
If LG 2021 oleds leaked prices are to be believed the u might save a lot on 77-inch. The C1/G1 US launch prices are 3500$/4300$. And they are supposed to go further down from there around Black Friday or Diwali. LG is undercutting Sony's top of the line by a lot.

I have a bad feeling that the 77" C1 will become $3500 to ₹10 lakh somehow when it lands in India. The price was outrageous here for last year's 77" models too.

If LG 2021 oleds leaked prices are to be believed the u might save a lot on 77-inch. The C1/G1 US launch prices are 3500$/4300$. And they are supposed to go further down from there around Black Friday or Diwali. LG is undercutting Sony's top of the line by a lot.
Yes. Target terminated after a year and a half!!

I have a bad feeling that the 77" C1 will become $3500 to ₹10 lakh somehow when it lands in India. The price was outrageous here for last year's 77" models too.
Well, in a year and a half, I have a contrarian thought that LG will surely lower it's price to about 4.5 lakhs for its 77" OLEDs. Even now some C9 77" models in a few showrooms have gone down to 5.25 lakhs. Systematic investing will keep increasing the corpus and it is a target based investing while the prices of premium electronics will go down. Even if it goes up(say 10 lakhs for example) or remains the same, one can still release the accumulated corpus and pay the remaining in emi's. This is an achievable financial goal. But then in a year and a half there could be better technological flagships I may end up buying. As OLED has eluded me for half a dozen years now and who knows it may continue to do so. Plasma technology retired before I could get hold of one. 77" OLED is the final frontier for me. 65" and 55" are no longer in my radar.

Last edited:
Well, in a year and a half, I have a contrarian thought that LG will surely lower it's price to about 4.5 lakhs for its 77" OLEDs. Even now some C9 77" models in a few showrooms have gone down to 5.25 lakhs.
Those are still outrageous prices. The 55" C series OLED costs around $1400-1500 in US and can be had for 1.1-1.2 lakhs in India (including cashback). That's almost a 1:1 dollar to rupee conversion. Similar case with the 65" OLEDs where $2300-2500 price translates to 1.6-1.7 lakhs or so in India. This is also a 1:1 mapping.

On the other hand, the CX 77" routinely goes for $3000-3500 in the US. This should translate to 2.5 lakhs in India. However the pricing is triple that. That's where I have a problem with.
Systematic investing will keep increasing the corpus and it is a target based investing while the prices of premium electronics will go down. Even if it goes up(say 10 lakhs for example) or remains the same, one can still release the accumulated corpus and pay the remaining in emi's. This is an achievable financial goal. But then in a year and a half there could be better technological flagships I may end up buying. As OLED has eluded me for half a dozen years now and who knows it may continue to do so. Plasma technology retired before I could get hold of one. 77" OLED is the final frontier for me. 65" and 55" are no longer in my radar.
Saving for a depreciating asset is something I can never get behind. And 77" will still not give you an immersive feeling unless you're sitting 7-8 feet from the TV. If you're sitting further than 8 feet away than that you'll need at least the 83" variant to get the endgame TV. I can personally sit 6-feet away from the TV and even 65" will give me that immersive THX recommended viewing angle.

IMO, a TV should cost less than what I save in a month and a car less than what I save in 4 months. Anything more and it's a waste of money. Conventional financial wisdom for depreciating assets is to not buy anything you can't buy 3 of.

Those are still outrageous prices. The 55" C series OLED costs around $1400-1500 in US and can be had for 1.1-1.2 lakhs in India (including cashback). That's almost a 1:1 dollar to rupee conversion. Similar case with the 65" OLEDs where $2300-2500 price translates to 1.6-1.7 lakhs or so in India. This is also a 1:1 mapping.

On the other hand, the CX 77" routinely goes for $3000-3500 in the US. This should translate to 2.5 lakhs in India. However the pricing is triple that. That's where I have a problem with.

Saving for a depreciating asset is something I can never get behind. And 77" will still not give you an immersive feeling unless you're sitting 7-8 feet from the TV. If you're sitting further than 8 feet away than that you'll need at least the 83" variant to get the endgame TV. I can personally sit 6-feet away from the TV and even 65" will give me that immersive THX recommended viewing angle.

IMO, a TV should cost less than what I save in a month and a car less than what I save in 4 months. Anything more and it's a waste of money. Conventional financial wisdom for depreciating assets is to not buy anything you can't buy 3 of.
Depreciating asset yes but it is something I want. And I am 6-7 feet away most of the time and it would be immersive for me. Plus I might not end up buying it either. As history shows I would end up saving and not spending much.

When can we expect A90J C1 G1 available in Indian market? Their launch should be able to bring down 2020 oleds price further.

When can we expect A90J C1 G1 available in Indian market? Their launch should be able to bring down 2020 oleds price further.
The A90J will launch in July/August this year, the same time frame the A90G launched in July/August in 2019 in India.

C1/G1 should be here earlier as LG is faster in launching the Oleds compared with international releases.

Depreciating asset yes but it is something I want. And I am 6-7 feet away most of the time and it would be immersive for me. Plus I might not end up buying it either. As history shows I would end up saving and not spending much.
At 6-7 feet even a 65" will give you a 40-degree viewing angle, which is the maximum angle THX recommends. Are you sure that 6-7 feet is comfortable with 77" TV? And are you sure you are only 6-7 feet from the TV?

At 6-7 feet even a 65" will give you a 40-degree viewing angle, which is the maximum angle THX recommends. Are you sure that 6-7 feet is comfortable with 77" TV? And are you sure you are only 6-7 feet from the TV?
With the room TV yes just 6-7 feet. Swivel mounted at an angular view. That's why I went and checked out the 65" A9G. For it is just about the right size. But again 77" OLED can be mounted and pushed a feet away. For a room TV it is a notch oversized but I do believe it would be a nice theatrical viewing experience. It will be an unclear decision until I get a good deal plus I reach that target in savings. And it is nothing urgent. Just a distant mirage, a figment of a dreamy thing.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back