LG vs Sony OLEDs

Am surprised LG still didn't give the update for Hotstar for Dolby vision and 5.1 update. I can only access it thru my firetv stick. DV on hotstar is decent but in the league of Netflix.

@BLASTO could you report back the benefits of new firmware compared to older? Thanks.

I got info from another FM whose pic I posed earlier that the raised blacks are gone.
I couldn't find time to either increase the brightness to 50 or to test the clip I posted earlier.
Will check tonight and possibly respond here. I am still using 48 brightness with pre-firmware-update settings and that is fine mostly after the update too..

Hi everyone,

I am upgrading my LG B6 this year & looking at the new Sony 2021 Oleds. Now both the 2021 Oleds from Sony support Hdmi 2.1 which i need for my Xbox series x.

I really liked the Sony A8H but the lack of Hdmi 2.1 put me away. Now i am tempted to consider one of the Sony 2021 oleds. Would love the A9J but knowing Sony India it will be priced much higher then the A9G as it is priced higher internationally then the A9G & also the increase in Import duty on electronics this year (Bummer) so might get the A8J instead as i m sure it will be a slight upgrade from the A8H with just Hdmi 2.1 features.

So any A8H owners here that have compared their tv with the LG CX? Cause if the A8H still has a better picture then the CX & now with Hdmi 2.1 support in the A8J, i m totally leaning on getting it this year when it launches.

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I am upgrading my LG B6 this year & looking at the new Sony 2021 Oleds. Now both the 2021 Oleds from Sony support Hdmi 2.1 which i need for my Xbox series x.

I really liked the Sony A8H but the lack of Hdmi 2.1 put me away. Now i am tempted to consider one of the Sony 2021 oleds. Would love the A9J but knowing Sony India it will be priced much higher then the A9G as it is priced higher internationally then the A9G & also the increase in Import duty on electronics this year (Bummer) so might get the A8J instead as i m sure it will be a slight upgrade from the A8H with just Hdmi 2.1 features.

So any A8H owners here that have compared their tv with the LG CX? Cause if the A8H still has a better picture then the CX & now with Hdmi 2.1 support in the A8J, i m totally leaning on getting it this year when it launches.

Thanks.
Better picture personal.
I prefer sony A8F picture to LG CX having both at home.
You might find someone who feels the exact opposite.
Technically they are same tvs until the point of picture processing. Generally people preferring the sony processing are more and associate it with being more natural.
But other companies are also moving away from frame processing to 3d picture based processing. The difference should narrow down this year and so is the premium for sony tvs.

If you care even 10% about Upscaling & processing, then it's just the Sony standing.

I went with mind made up to buy the CX in the Diwali sale, but the picture quality is just disappointing.and I was moving up from a VU..

Hi everyone,

Thanks.
I had 55C7 and upgraded to 65A8H. I did demo 65CX but felt slightly underwhelmed by motion and clarity at 65”. This was Nov last year and there have been many firmware improvements. I still think Sony has the edge in SDR and 4K. HDR is underwhelming on Sony due to light output limitation. In fact, I don’t watch in HDR unless playing through Panasonic UB820 that has useful HDR sliders.

Unless absolutely necessary right now, suggest you wait for 2021 OLED. You can fallback on 2020 models if price-performance is unjustified.

How is Sony FALD 950h Vs LG CX comparison? As LG CX at 65" was just 20-30 k more than Sony 950g during Diwali.

How is Sony FALD 950h Vs LG CX comparison? As LG CX at 65" was just 20-30 k more than Sony 950g during Diwali.
Just no point in comparing. I set out to buy the 950h. dropped it the instant I saw oleds.

If budget allows go for Sony A8H or other 2021 models. After proper calibration A8H could be 5% better than LG. I’m a loyal Sony fan but opted for 65CX. I compared A8H and LG GX side by side. I didn’t feel Sony was worth the premium.

So I got 65CX for 1.75 excl cashback. Sony was 2.35L. I was ready to pay up to 2.1L for the Sony but 2.35 was just much

I had 55C7 and upgraded to 65A8H. I did demo 65CX but felt slightly underwhelmed by motion and clarity at 65”. This was Nov last year and there have been many firmware improvements. I still think Sony has the edge in SDR and 4K. HDR is underwhelming on Sony due to light output limitation. In fact, I don’t watch in HDR unless playing through Panasonic UB820 that has useful HDR sliders.

Unless absolutely necessary right now, suggest you wait for 2021 OLED. You can fallback on 2020 models if price-performance is unjustified.
Pre calibrated settings on the LG (and Samsung) are always bad. But If you know how to calibrate well or get professional calibration done...LG can get you 95% of Sony. Sony would still have slightly better motion processing and bit more natural colors. But I didn’t wanna pay 60k more for that marginal improvement.

but if you want the best and don’t mind spending. Sony ftw!!

If you care even 10% about Upscaling & processing, then it's just the Sony standing.

I went with mind made up to buy the CX in the Diwali sale, but the picture quality is just disappointing.and I was moving up from a VU..
I compared A8H and GX side by side with same content for 3 days straight in a bajaj showroom. Sony was marginally better. But your comment that picture quality on LG is disappointing...is not at all what I experienced.

I badly wanted to get the Sony...but ended up getting the CX. Very happy with it

^ Did you try 1080P content as well ?
At home I did with streaming and local files. Was prepared to be disappointed but Upscaling was very good. Didn’t feel it was lacking in any way

with streaming I don’t even bother anymore to check if it’s native 1080p or 4K

I am waiting for the 2021 models as i need Hdmi 2.1 for my gaming. Will either go for the A90J or A80J depending on Sony's pricing in India.

Thanks.

This year sony upped the game with the cognitive processor xr available to all tvs in their lineup starting with x9000. This is apparently much better than even the 2020 master series flagships. No reason to buy 2020 models anymore.

The x9000 and other midranges historically never came with master series processors which had heavy sony tax. This year, in addition to vastly improved processing in master class, the same processing is available with midranges starting x9000. This is double big for sony midrange tvs. X9000h and X9000i should be poles apart for minimal price difference.

If not anything, the 2020 models will be hugely discounted. There was never a time before with sony midranges having better processor than yesteryear flagships.

Which VU? Did it have an IPS/ ADS or VA panel?
I compared A8H and GX side by side with same content for 3 days straight in a bajaj showroom.
Wow! Thats thorough and intense. I guess have to be when spending $$$

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back