Linn Basik with Akito

from what little i know, Akito arm is an overkill (and also over priced) for the Linn Basis...bater to go for the standard LVX.

just lookup ebay.co.uk, you will get the prices

from what little i know, Akito arm is an overkill (and also over priced) for the Linn Basis...bater to go for the standard LVX.

just lookup ebay.co.uk, you will get the prices

Hi,

It is being sold with an Akito arm and is to be priced accordingly. There is no such combination for sale on ebay.co.uk today.

Regards.

looks in prime condition (from the pics on the advert), thought the Sondek LP12 was better though (not from experience, but from reading off the internet).

Miroflex, there is something you should check about the Akito. It has 2 versions and version 1 is not supposed to be very good. it is version 2B which was good.
But overall the Akito (I have one !) is not a great arm and worth the money although it due to some vague reason has a good resale value !

check this out

Thanks for your reply. The Akito arm is highly regarded. Whether justifiably so is a moot point. In any case the Mumbai set is grossly overpriced and in my opinion not worth considering.

Regards.

There is, however, another Linn Basik turntable with Akito arm. The owner has not mentioned which cartridge is fitted nor the expected price. In case it is in good condition, what is the maximum price I should go up to?

Regards.

Hi all,

When I was in the U.K. in 1991-92, the Linn Basik with Akito tone arm used to sell for 285 pounds. As the exchange rate was then Rs. 60 to the pound, the equivalent cost works out to Rs. 17,100. Adding the cost of a good cartridge would bring it to Rs. 25,000 or so.

Is a seller being fair in asking for nearly 3 times the 1991-92 prices?

Regards.

Last edited:
Sellers in India are pretty clever these days. Most of them tend to be brokers (selling on behalf of somebody else, or have procured these beauties at throw away prices and trying to cash in). They run a quick google search and add about 20-30% to the price, apparently include obvious import duties and shipping costs. If the seller is the original owner, you may be in for an honest deal but certain pieces are usually over priced, eg: Garrard 301, 401, Linn turntables, etc. Recently I sold off my dad's Garrard SP25, Speakers and NAD 1020A. Priced them based on google searches and donated the entire amount to Charity. A very pleasing experience, both donating to charity and also selling to fellow forum members. :)

Hi Reuben,

Thanks for your very useful and informative post. Unfortunately in India most sellers want to avoid avoid the hassles of dealing directly with potential buyers (some of whom can be very pesky and troublesome, asking absurd questions and making absurdly low offers or counter offers) and prefer to hand over their equipment to a dealer. Some dealers are either ignorant or greedy and in order to increase their commission or profit quote absurdly high prices. The overall loser is the buyer who is a hi fi enthusiast with a limited budget.

Regards.

Nobody on this forum seems to have heard the Basik with Akito which seems rather a pity as the Basik is a nice enough player if partnered with a good arm and cartridge. Is the Akito arm really a case of overkill as far as the Basik is concerned?

Last edited:
@miroflex: Sir, any progress on your TT hunt?

Hi Joshua,

Thank you for asking. I am looking for a Beogram 9500 to partner my wife's Beocenter 9500 music system (tuner, amplifier, CD player and cassette tape deck in one). Are Bang and Olufsen turntables difficult to maintain and service? They look more like style statements than serious sources of music and are most probably overpriced considering their sound quality.

I am also looking for a separate used turntable, preferably belt drive, to replace my Rega Planar 3. Something in the Linn Sondek class would be ideal. but probabably outside my budget, which ranges from Rs. 30,000 to 60,000.

Looking at the interest generated by the thread on wooden tone arms as well as those on modifying turntables, I'm thinking of starting one on DIY turntables. Wait and see...

Thanks and regards.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back