Linn Studio Masters download for free

Vinod
I have a slow connection (1 mbps).
Guess I just started earlier. ;)

If I was that fast, I would have remembered to download all days.
Low speed = Less interest.

Still looking forward to download the ones I missed.

I am missing:

Day 09 - Belcea Quartet - String Quartet No. 16 in F Major, Op. 135: II. Vivace

Day 13 - Maeve O'Boyle - Hero in the Sky

Day 14 - Laki Mera - Winter (There's A Light)

Will be highly grateful to anyone willing to take the time to share.

I am not able to play some of the files through Foobar - e.g. the studio master version of the flute piece ( i guess it is 24/196 version, and another file at 88k). Is there some special plugin which enables it to play all hi-res files? Or is it because Foobar is not able to play some particular resolution?

My chain is: Win7 - foobar (event-24bit) + WASAPI - ODAC - amp.

Can the ODAC be bottleneck (limited to 24/96 only)?

I am not able to play some of the files through Foobar - e.g. the studio master version of the flute piece ( i guess it is 24/196 version, and another file at 88k). Is there some special plugin which enables it to play all hi-res files? Or is it because Foobar is not able to play some particular resolution?

Can the ODAC be bottleneck (limited to 24/96 only)?

I think I faced the same problem...
You should try SOX Resampler to avoid any such frequencies restrictions.

Check this thread also: Resampler (PPHS) - Hydrogenaudio Forums

The Studio Masters in this series are 24/96.

I think I faced the same problem...
You should try SOX Resampler to avoid any such frequencies restrictions.

Check this thread also: Resampler (PPHS) - Hydrogenaudio Forums

Thanks, will try this.

The Studio Masters in this series are 24/96.

Nikhil, the flute piece was available in 24/192 format as well; below is the excerpt from the invoice:

MIX DAY18 Flute Concerto (1993) - IV. Scherzo
Katherine Bryan
Studio Master (192) FLAC (187.0MB)

I guess I should stick to 24/96 now onwards... :) at least it will play and save on disk space/bandwidth as well - the 192 file was 187MB!!! :eek:

Can I play hi resolution music files like FLAC, after copying them on a CD, through my CD player?
Or are FLAC files are only to be played from a computer or iPad ?

Can I play hi resolution music files like FLAC, after copying them on a CD, through my CD player?
Or are FLAC files are only to be played from a computer or iPad ?

Only 16 bit 44.1hz WAV files can be burnt onto a CD to play on a CD player. FLAC is not necessarily hi res. It can also be 16/44.1.
FLAC can be burnt onto a CD using a suitable software like 'burrrn' which first converts to WAV.
FLAC files without conversion, hi res or not, have to be played through a computer or an iPad. For that to sound good you will need a good DAC as well.

Only 16 bit 44.1hz WAV files can be burnt onto a CD to play on a CD player. FLAC is not necessarily hi res. It can also be 16/44.1.
FLAC can be burnt onto a CD using a suitable software like 'burrrn' which first converts to WAV.
FLAC files without conversion, hi res or not, have to be played through a computer or an iPad. For that to sound good you will need a good DAC as well.

Do you think I can play FLACs on my Pioneer BDP-51FD? Or do I have to convert?

If I have to convert, how do I burn without any loss in audio quality?

I have never done it but I believe you can burn hi res files to dvd and play. I am not sure if that will compromise the sound quality. Check with good old Google.

If you have USB input on your BDP, you might be able to play FLAC's directly if the BDP supports the FLAC codec (look in your manual, the FLAC codec being open source might require it's usage to be acknowledged by the manufacturer).

You can decode FLAC to WAV and then burn the WAV to a CD using New FLAC Frontend or use CD burning software that has a FLAC to WAV decoder built-in.

FLAC is a lossless codec so you won't lose anything decoding to WAV, though some listeners claim to be able to hear the difference between FLAC encoded audio and the original WAV. If this indeed were the case, it wouldn't matter in your scenario since your source is already FLAC and decoding to WAV doesn't lose you anything further than what is supposedly already gone during the original encode to FLAC (although theoretically nothing went away during the lossless encode to FLAC).

If you have USB input on your BDP, you might be able to play FLAC's directly if the BDP supports the FLAC codec (look in your manual, the FLAC codec being open source might require it's usage to be acknowledged by the manufacturer).

You can decode FLAC to WAV and then burn the WAV to a CD using New FLAC Frontend or use CD burning software that has a FLAC to WAV decoder built-in.

FLAC is a lossless codec so you won't lose anything decoding to WAV, though some listeners claim to be able to hear the difference between FLAC encoded audio and the original WAV. If this indeed were the case, it wouldn't matter in your scenario since your source is already FLAC and decoding to WAV doesn't lose you anything further than what is supposedly already gone during the original encode to FLAC (although theoretically nothing went away during the lossless encode to FLAC).

Thanks Jsmithe,

Actually my player has no USB input. It is a profile 1 player. But it has got 8 DACs in audiophile configuration to be used in analogue outs.

In the manual there is no mention of FLAC playback? :)

So what is the best way to go about it?

Thanks Jsmithe,

Actually my player has no USB input. It is a profile 1 player. But it has got 8 DACs in audiophile configuration to be used in analogue outs.

In the manual there is no mention of FLAC playback? :)

So what is the best way to go about it?

If the manual does not mention FLAC playback it is not supported.

In that case, use the FLAC GUI frontend I linked to in the previous post to decode to WAV. Be careful that the checkbox to delete source files is not selected. Next, use your CD burning software to burn the resultant WAV files as a Music CD not Data CD. Pop the CD in your BDP and you are golden. You can also use CD burning software with built-in FLAC to WAV decoders.

As mentioned by other FM's earlier, unless your FLAC's are 16 bit 44.1hz you can't use the resultant decoded WAV for CD playback. So you are no go with HiRes FLAC's using this method. If you want to playback HiRes FLAC/WAV you will have to find some way of getting them to a renderer (BDP, CDP, NMT, Network Audio Player, AVR with Network Audio, DAC etc.) that can handle the format. CD won't work.

You can try DVD-Audio if you have a DVD player capable of playing DVD Audio discs and software capable of burning DVD-Audio. Even then, I am not sure if you will be able to playback HiRes WAV with this method. You can also try converting the HiRes audio files to CD format but you'll be downgrading the audio quality. Whether you'll be able to hear the difference depends on your ears. See How convert hi-res FLAC to CD format ?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back