Linux or windows vista for music

Actually I'm also using a dual core by Intel. The quad core is lying around unused and waiting for a media center to be setup on it. The highest 4b9 version does not play on my dual core either but plays perfect on the quad core. On the dual core Intel though I'm using the highest dB settings on the ssse3b9 version and the CPU is going to about 6-8% for cPlay, that's all. No real high CPU usage like claimed.

Well, let me try that, Moser. Actually I am not at all sure I got the SSE instruction set support correctly as well. I am going to revisit that as well with CPU-Z.

Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.

Well, let me try that, Moser. Actually I am not at all sure I got the SSE instruction set support correctly as well. I am going to revisit that as well with CPU-Z.

Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.

No problem and just install every version starting with the highest. At the most cPlay will not start for an incompatible version and so we try the next highest version which will always work.

No problem and just install every version starting with the highest. At the most cPlay will not start for an incompatible version and so we try the next highest version which will always work.

I am pretty sure sse4 and ssse3 are not supported by the Athlon 64 X2 chipset though....

Does that not sound right?

SSSE3 worked for me so I'm thinking it will work for you too. No go with SSE4 for me either.

actually the amd 7750BE Athlon X2 Kuma does have support for sse1/2/3/4a (4A is a modified form though). Then again the 7750BE is actually a K10 and not a K8. BTW the latest version of cplay plays effortlessly on my AMD 3000+ Venice single core k8. I have about 1 gb on my download machine.

PS: AMD kept up with the SIMD processing standards Intel set by licensing its popular CPU instruction sets such as MMX, SSE, SSE2, and SSE3. The three were used as is by AMD, except for that AMD chose not to conform completely with Supplemental SSE3, SSE4 and its revisions (SSE4.1, SSE4.2). The company devised the SSE4A instruction set to feature with its K10 micro-architecture. SSE4A is a lighter version that features LZCNT (Leading Zero Count), POPCNT (bit population count), EXTRQ/INSERTQ and MOVNTSD/MOVNTSS (Scalar streaming store instructions). What's more, the company even decided back in 2007 that it would come up with SSE5, that then Intel sought to leave development with AMD.

I disagree. technical features and sound output cannot be differentiating factors as others will catch up soon. Ease of use and management take over at that time. iPod is a good example of sub par sounding player that derives its popularity by ease of use and aesthetics.

I can safely say, most people prefer ease of use while using apps. cPlay is an excellent decoder but just does not have an integrated interface to play files except use 3 additional steps to create cue files an then play them.

The best way out is for cPlay to work with directories since it is such a fundamental concept in filesystems. Also for the original poster, another option that works a lot like cPlay but with better directory handling support is the music on console player for Linux.

MOC - music on console | console audio player for Linux/UNIX

Correct, Marsilians. But talk of the output quality. That alone is worth paying whatever price there is to pay with an unabashedly clunky interface.

Well cPlay is addictive and as of now it gives SQ that nothing else comes close to. I suppose it differs from person to person. While a lot many may not want the additional step of creating CUE files, I'm amazed at some of the DIY kits some members on our forum are doing to clean LPs. Really great I feel since I never cleaned my LPs or put so much effort into it.

I disagree. technical features and sound output cannot be differentiating factors as others will catch up soon. Ease of use and management take over at that time. iPod is a good example of sub par sounding player that derives its popularity by ease of use and aesthetics.

I can safely say, most people prefer ease of use while using apps. cPlay is an excellent decoder but just does not have an integrated interface to play files except use 3 additional steps to create cue files an then play them.

The best way out is for cPlay to work with directories since it is such a fundamental concept in filesystems. Also for the original poster, another option that works a lot like cPlay but with better directory handling support is the music on console player for Linux.

MOC - music on console | console audio player for Linux/UNIX

I think we can safely agree to disagree.

Believe me, I am very finicky about the controls that a player offers typically and its ease of use as well as music management features - as in a music library. But there are two distinct periods in my PC listening career - pre cPlay and post cPlay:). Its really that good.

And no matter what features a player offers, the sound quality is what matters ultimately. Take AIMP2 for example. Do give it a good try. It does not lack any features when compared to any other player - be it Foobar or XmPlay or others. And all this without installing any plugins unlike the others. I like to think of AIMP2 as the 'Opera' (as in the web browser) among players. But it is done in by its sound quality. It does not support ASIO. And even if ASIO support comes, there is no guarantee that it will match the quality given out by cPlay.

See, cPlay is fundamentally different from the others in terms of its operational concept. It does not read from your hard drive. It reads from RAM. Hence there is a limit of about 120 songs that can be there in your playlist - high quality of course (FLAC or WAV, that is). As to the quality difference I can only encourage you to use it. With revealing equipment, one cannot miss the difference. That is what I feel.

Nowadays, cPlay is not too bad on the aesthetics front as well - along with the Recursive Cue Creator and Playlist Editor I dont miss too many things. I use Foobar for music management as such because I have 10s of GBs of MP3s as well. But in terms of listening quality, cPlay is a few notches above any other solution out there today.

Well, only SSE2 works on Athlon X2. I can confirm that.

And SOX resampler at VHQ (Very High Quality) blows your socks off - pardon the petty pun:). cPlay rocks - again!

Well, only SSE2 works on Athlon X2. I can confirm that.

And SOX resampler at VHQ (Very High Quality) blows your socks off - pardon the petty pun:). cPlay rocks - again!

I told you it would. I too am going with VHQ, and on diagnostics it reveals the resampling is at 175dB. Absolutely rocks indeed. I've not heard CDPs deliver such clarity. Well the CDPs costing thousands of dollars do give clarity, but even they don't have such specs. With the specs of the Asus Essence I have to go along with, music is pure bliss.

I told you it would. I too am going with VHQ, and on diagnostics it reveals the resampling is at 175dB. Absolutely rocks indeed. I've not heard CDPs deliver such clarity. Well the CDPs costing thousands of dollars do give clarity, but even they don't have such specs. With the specs of the Asus Essence I have to go along with, music is pure bliss.

I find it is difficult understand and modify parameters, moreover creating a cue file I do not have clue. MOSERW can you provide a step by step installation and configuration guide, atleast a URL available on web

Last edited:
I find it is difficult understand and modify parameters, moreover creating a cue file I do not have clue. MOSERW can provide a step by step installation and configuration guide,

Will do and post it. Probably by evening or tomorrow. Give me some time.

I find it is difficult understand and modify parameters, moreover creating a cue file I do not have clue. MOSERW can you provide a step by step installation and configuration guide, atleast a URL available on web

svkndv - just download cPlay and go through the included Readme.txt. Then download the Recursive Cue Creator and Playlist Editor using the links I provided earlier.

Now just run the Recursive Cue Creator with the top level directory mentioned as the drive where you store your music on the PC. Cues would be ready for you on completition of the process. Cues will be created folder wise. Now, if you would like more control of playlists than that, use the Playlist Editor. It is really a very simple program. The end result of this too is a CUE sheet.

Now, just ask cPlay to open one of these CUE's and sit back and enjoy.

svkndv - just download cPlay and go through the included Readme.txt. Then download the Recursive Cue Creator and Playlist Editor using the links I provided earlier.

Now just run the Recursive Cue Creator with the top level directory mentioned as the drive where you store your music on the PC. Cues would be ready for you on completition of the process. Cues will be created folder wise. Now, if you would like more control of playlists than that, use the Playlist Editor. It is really a very simple program. The end result of this too is a CUE sheet.

Now, just ask cPlay to open one of these CUE's and sit back and enjoy.

Thanks thevortex, I created cue file and cPlay started working, Initial impression is not that positive.

Thanks thevortex, I created cue file and cPlay started working, Initial impression is not that positive.

Which soundcard are you using? Also drivers are an issue so d/l and install ASIO4ALL and use that preferably. Also, use the SoX resampler in cPlay.

Which soundcard are you using? Also drivers are an issue so d/l and install ASIO4ALL and use that preferably. Also, use the SoX resampler in cPlay.

Its onboard intel HD, I use asio4all and SOX resampler

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back