Listening Impression - Shanti's System

Thanks Bhagwan. I will take all the advice. All the best for your quest of audio nirvana.....
Sir,
This is going to be a 'downhill' ride for me - I have taken a conscious decision to curtail my exposure on hi fi gear & want to try and get good sound out of 'relatively cheap gear'
I did that in phase 1 when I sold my dCS & replaced it with a DAD DAC.
Now, I will replace the Allnic & the CC with some 'cheap' option;
I just hope that I do not end up with an Accuphase kind of a product that is highly rated in the press & disappoints me on the musical front.
The worst part is - no MOC for me this year - so I cannot even get the chance to listen to audio gear in Munich. However, many of my dear friends are going & I hope they will fill me in on what I am to miss - 6 of them i.e.
So the BAT REX II does not look like it will happen...No Budget !:sad:

A Symphonic Line RG10 MK4 will keep you happy for a long time. And it will be at the least a side grade.
Thank You for your suggestions;
I like SL a lot.
But the model you suggest will 100 % be a 'step down'
What I can consider is :-
Symphonic Line: Poweramplifier,Stereo,Mono,Kraft 250/300
&
Symphonic Line: Preamplifier RG3, Mono/Poweramplifier RG4,Loudspeaker RG5, Belcanto MK2
All said, I was never a 'fan' of Rolf's work.
I shall look else where...

p.s. You were the last person that heard the Allnic & CC & DAD & TAD @ my house.
Care to comment ?
You have been listening to my set up for a few years now - has it changed ? Improved ? Gone Down Hill ?

p.s. You were the last person that heard the Allnic & CC & DAD & TAD @ my house.
Care to comment ?
You have been listening to my set up for a few years now - has it changed ? Improved ? Gone Down Hill ?

Yes, this should be most interesting to hear from another guru of our forum

:)

BTW, Congrats to ozzstriker for acquiring the pre-pro from bhagwanji.

Should be most interesting to hear how they incorporate into his set-up. Am sure besides bhagwanji, the champion of champions none other than Khusrau Jilla will be putting in his fantastic skills to use in setting up Ozzstriker's system. His talent is truly unbelievable :clapping:

Would love to be a spectator when this happens, hope Ozz is listening/reading :D

Yes it will be great to listen system set up ,even after basic consultancy by Khushru.

Members may remember that when Ali (Magma) made his speakers , KJ was like guide and mentor

The best part is KJ's down to earth nature and having no air about his expertise -- very rare and very much appreciated!

Yes it will be great to listen system set up ,even after basic consultancy by Khushru.
Correct;
The PMC OB is a great speaker & in the hands of KJ it will be 'magic' !
I too am looking forward to the magic of the PMC unfolding soon...
Hope to see Ozzistriker & KJ collaborating in the near future - but might take 1 / 2 + months - most are travelling I am told to believe;;
:licklips:

The best part is KJ's down to earth nature and having no air about his expertise -- very rare and very much appreciated!

i am told his gaalis are to die for :lol:

maybe denom can vouch for it. ;)

bhagwan - sorry - the above lines are OT. I wish you luck and good hunting for your future rig. I am sure that as a well travelled and experienced audio enthusiast.. one is not exactly hunting for equipment but for something as a means to satisfaction - for oneself only.

I dont have much to offer by means of reccos as i have not been exposed to the very high end ( high cost ) setups.

In a different way.. i am on the same boat as you.. am waiting for my speakers.. while you waut for the amp... no music either way !! :)

sometimes a sabbatical does good..

mpw

Last edited by a moderator:
bhagwan - sorry - the above lines are OT.
I wish you luck and good hunting for your future rig. I am sure that as a well travelled and experienced audio enthusiast.. one is not exactly hunting for equipment but for something as a means to satisfaction - for oneself only.

mpw
Sir,
This is not O/T - since the gear we talk about - Allnic & CC were mine & were a part of my Set up until Friday last; So discussing them is OK with me.
On the Audio Front - Personal - I am 'hunting' [trust me]
What I want - I cannot afford - BAT i.e. & what I am getting [budget acceptable] is not OK with me on the SQ front.
So the dilemma continues. Really frustrating; :mad:
Yet, I have not lost all hope - still researching - something good will come out - God willing...;)

Hi Bhagwan,
You confused me a bit on two counts. On one hand you say:
I like SL a lot.

Then this :
All said, I was never a 'fan' of Rolf's work.
I shall look else where...

What exactly did you try to say ? :):):)

Secondly I was of the opinion that you want to go a bit soft on your purchase and probably simplify your system without compromising a lot on your taste. A symphonic line Kraft + RG3 preamp doesnt fit into that requirement by any stretch:D. Please elaborate a little more on your expectations and requirements.

Care to comment ?

To be honest it has gone downhill, but I wont complain considering that you have significantly downgraded your source.

In the stereo front i believe nobody is going to get satisfied with their rig.. However when other stereo fool( dont take this word in a different way- we have been fooled with two ears) surfaces it is wise to sell the system and lookout for another upgrade.. This is the way the stereo goes in our life. A fine example is malvai stated when he bought accuphase + resurrection speakers and he loved it a lot then he is selling it now.. and plenty of other examples here in this forum including Bhagawan. He could not get bliss over his system.;)

Now bhagawanji has come to a level it is full foolishness if we keep spending a lot. Invest on some low cost system and tweak it with his skills and enjoy the next few more months or years.:cool:

I have come to a stage where i am impressed with vintage system were sounding good and will concentrate to hear and go behind those, but still here and there with latest system too inbetween.:p

There is never one high end system that will ever satisfy all people. So there is always going to be a need to change to enjoy a different flavor of the high end sound.

Also it is about the outlook one has towards high fidelity and its value in ones life. This can make different people take vastly different paths depending upon what keeps them musically happy.

When you have been playing at a very high level of high fidelity, it is more about the path that you want to take for a different flavor or better musical satisfaction rather than striving for more so called higher fidelity.

are we maturing as listeners and on the value music and cost holds in our lives ?

i am of the same opinion as srinisundar and that too having experimimented, auditioned, personally bought and sold.

after a point in time.. we move on to other things in life while still enjoying the setup and music we have.

mpw

This is in reply to post # 331
http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/20096-listening-impression-shantis-system-34.html#post588301

1st Rolf's work.
a]
I do not like his speakers.
b]
His Electronics are good - but they have a 'dated' sound.
c]
Most of the gear - for what it does - is too over priced.

Now, about the sound in my house - going down hill.
I respect your opinion & thank you for your comments.

There were a few distinct changes I have made - since you last visited - I think.
a]
dCS Scarlatti has gone - sold.
b]
Accuphase was inserted in place of the dCS & CC. Also the DAD was introduced.
c]
Accuphase was removed & Allnic & CC was inserted.
d]
2 computers were introduced.

I guess what you heard was prior to [a] !
Was was worst - huge drop - audio performance.

When [c] came in - things improved.

[d] Was the biggest change.

In the middle 2 subs were introduced - ML - Depth & they too were removed & sold.

So all in all - lots of changes.
Even Cables have changed a lot - too many to enumerate.

A small request - if you could point me to some set ups that you liked a lot & those that I could experience - so that I too could try and understand what direction to take & what it is I can do or what way to steer the ship so as to improve the overall performance of my audio rig. This is a good time - just before I buy some new gear - so that it could be used as goal posts for me to steer in between.

Thanks - Shall appreciate the inputs.
:)

Now bhagawanji has come to a level it is full foolishness if we keep spending a lot. Invest on some low cost system and tweak it with his skills and enjoy the next few more months or years.:cool:

Sir,
Thanks for your comments & insight;
However, I have decided to go 'downstream' for pure financial reasons.
If I had the money - I would buy the BAT REX II - Before I could have blinked my eyelids.
However, finances do not allow me - hence, this step was taken.
I sold my Source - I sold my Pre & Power - I want to sell my Speakers - only to 'save' on the financial outlay in audio.
I still love audio.
This is a serious hobby for me - very serious.
If, I could - I would put much more money into it - to get better sound.
Fine Tune / Tweak etc. all this is a 'given' - even if I owned a NAD & PSB - I would tweak it & maximize its potential - so getting a component to play to its best - I will do - regardless of the hardware or the room etc.
Money - That is all that is Needed & that too - lots of it & desperately ! :cool:

after a point in time.. we move on to other things in life while still enjoying the setup and music we have.
I so hope this never happens to me.
Audio is an integral part of my life;
It is a very serious part too.
I have learnt a lot from it & each day I look forward to learning more.
I pray to the all mighty that my interest in Audio is never diminished...:indifferent14:

I strongly believe the old English saying "one man's taste is another man's poison" is very much relevant in listening tastes and music systems. So, emotional satisfaction that one gets from ones system is the bench mark for each individual. Yes, all of us have the urge to try other's system thinking it may sound better than our own. It may or it may not but the true test should be by asking a question to yourself. Am I getting emotional satisfaction from my set up? If your answer is Yes, stick to your system.

Sir,
I have not seen u r putting anything for sale.. That itself shows you are an true listener and get emotional satisfaction from your setup and you know what music is......:)

But others....;) Here some of the vintage collectors are here in forum and showcase it as pride and next day they will encash it.. Hats of to your collection and love on the music.:clapping:

I strongly believe the old English saying "one man's taste is another man's poison" is very much relevant in listening tastes and music systems. So, emotional satisfaction that one gets from ones system is the bench mark for each individual. Yes, all of us have the urge to try other's system thinking it may sound better than our own. It may or it may not but the true test should be by asking a question to yourself. Am I getting emotional satisfaction from my set up? If your answer is Yes, stick to your system.

Sir,
I have not seen u r putting anything for sale.. That itself shows you are an true listener and get emotional satisfaction from your setup and you know what music is......:)

But others....;) Here some of the vintage collectors are here in forum and showcase it as pride and next day they will encash it.. Hats of to your collection and love on the music.:clapping:

To be frank, I do sell systems that do not give me emotional satisfaction. But what I consider emotionally attached, I do not sell .

Back