Listening Impression - Shanti's System

Buy decent in-ear headphones and enjoy music from your phone for now:)
Thanks JLS001;
Music is ON;
My Office has the Tannoy Ellipse 8 & so music is playing. Between 6 to 8 hours a day....
However, I miss the quality & feeling of sitting in my chair & appreciating audio
the way that I am used to - say for example right now - this is my Indian Classical Music time - just after I have woken up & I cannot listen to any of it & believe me when I say, it gets to be frustrating...
Really Pray for a quick solution to this issue.
;)

This is in reply to post # 331
http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/20096-listening-impression-shantis-system-34.html#post588301

1st Rolf's work.
a]
I do not like his speakers.
b]
His Electronics are good - but they have a 'dated' sound.
c]
Most of the gear - for what it does - is too over priced.

Now, about the sound in my house - going down hill.
I respect your opinion & thank you for your comments.

There were a few distinct changes I have made - since you last visited - I think.
a]
dCS Scarlatti has gone - sold.
b]
Accuphase was inserted in place of the dCS & CC. Also the DAD was introduced.
c]
Accuphase was removed & Allnic & CC was inserted.
d]
2 computers were introduced.

I guess what you heard was prior to [a] !
Was was worst - huge drop - audio performance.

When [c] came in - things improved.

[d] Was the biggest change.

In the middle 2 subs were introduced - ML - Depth & they too were removed & sold.

So all in all - lots of changes.
Even Cables have changed a lot - too many to enumerate.

A small request - if you could point me to some set ups that you liked a lot & those that I could experience - so that I too could try and understand what direction to take & what it is I can do or what way to steer the ship so as to improve the overall performance of my audio rig. This is a good time - just before I buy some new gear - so that it could be used as goal posts for me to steer in between.

Thanks - Shall appreciate the inputs.
:)

Bhagwan,
The last time I visited your place, the ML subs were also installed. That is also one of the missing components this time.

Among the systems I liked, there are a few:
1. Any ATC active speaker system
2. Magnepans driven by Pure Class A solid state amps like the Esoteric A03
3. TAD Reference speakers driven by FM Acoustics amps
4. Full Audio Note (UK) setups driven by their SET amps
5. Big Tannoy Prestige Dual concentric speakers driven quality SS amps like SL, Naim, McIntosh, Esoteric, Pass Labs or high powered tube push-pull amps like the Jadis DA7, McIntosh MC275, CJ Art
6. Well implemented Single driver speakers like the Rethm, Fostex FE206, Voxativ driven by top quality low powered SETs like Yamamoto 45, Audio Note 2A3, Wavac 300B and the likes.
7. And of course well implemented horn speakers like the Pioneer Exclusive 2402, JBL 4429, Avant Garde Duo Omega, some very well done Altec installations.

All these systems play well IMO, but they need different room conditions to make their case. I am sure you would have heard many of these systems too.

Bhagwan,
All these systems play well IMO, but they need different room conditions to make their case. I am sure you would have heard many of these systems too.
Sir,
No;
I have not had the chance to listen & appreciate many Folded Horns / Single Driver / Dual Concentric etc. kind of set ups.
They seem to elude me.
Still waiting & hoping to listen to them - some day;

Sir,
No;
I have not had the chance to listen & appreciate many Folded Horns / Single Driver / Dual Concentric etc. kind of set ups.
They seem to elude me.
Still waiting & hoping to listen to them - some day;

I have to admit that most of these non-conventional speakers are normally not available for a "valid" audition in hifi shows. So there has to be a conscious effort to look around for them within the circles and get a good listen. One may like the sound or not but it definitely allows for a more enriched audio experience in the way that one at least knows what are the various compromises available to choose from.

Those pioneer exclusives look cool. Wonder how they compare with the top options from blumenhofer, living voice etc..

Bhagwan,
The last time I visited your place, the ML subs were also installed. That is also one of the missing components this time.

I also miss the pair of Depths the most in your setup. When they were there, they hardly advertised their presence. But when they were gone, it was like a big chunk of the foundation of the music had caved in, taking with it lot of the weight and the drive.

Lows, if done right is amazing to hear. Yesterday a bunch of us were listening to the Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade - Reiner - Chicago Symphony Orchestra on the AP reference music system. It is amazing what a full range system can achieve if given the right kind of room and breathing space. I was left breathless with the scale and realism. If you remove the low bass, the foundation is pretty much gone. And then he played a Count Basie number, we were almost blown out of the window by the trumpets. Sheer visceral energy !! Bloody active systems once you hear them , you cannot go back.

Lows, if done right is amazing to hear.

I have been realising the same on my headphones, with the Xbass boost of if the ifi iCAN. Those wonderful low background notes on Mahler, for one, and listening to the bass-guitar melodies in JJ Cale for another.

In my browsing, Geithain has caught my eye. Very highly spoken of for studio monitors, but even the smallest is well beyond my means. Have you gentlmen of greater experience encountered? (I'm also wondering how Germans say this name! :eek: )

I also miss the pair of Depths the most in your setup. When they were there, they hardly advertised their presence. But when they were gone, it was like a big chunk of the foundation of the music had caved in, taking with it lot of the weight and the drive.

Dear JLS, I respect your comments;
However, that foundation was 'false'
Yes, they were very well integrated & were almost sonically invisible - but the tone of the bass was very different from the tone of the rest of the speaker & they were a miss match - therefore I was forced to let them go.
Finding a sub that can match the TAD in speed & tone is proving to be a very difficult task indeed.
Maybe a new Speaker ?
Who knows - what lies ahead...:cool:

:D Khusrau's magic once again comes to the fore, as he had painstakingly set & integrated the twin ML subs in bhagwanji's difficult room :cool:

Dear JLS, I respect your comments;
However, that foundation was 'false'
Yes, they were very well integrated & were almost sonically invisible - but the tone of the bass was very different from the tone of the rest of the speaker & they were a miss match - therefore I was forced to let them go.
Finding a sub that can match the TAD in speed & tone is proving to be a very difficult task indeed.
Maybe a new Speaker ?
Who knows - what lies ahead...:cool:

:clapping:
Nothing more to say

:D Khusrau's magic once again comes to the fore, as he had painstakingly set & integrated the twin ML subs in bhagwanji's difficult room :cool:

100 % Correct;
Hats off to Mr. Jilla ! :)
Excellent job done by him; :licklips:
Always indebted to him for his support & help.

Yes, the room is 'rather difficult' & getting subs in & integrating them was a difficult and up hill task - yet with Jilla's help - we managed - but the 'tone' even Mr. Jilla could not do anything about...
Hence, I decided to live without the 'bass' - I do not regret it - at all.

srinisundar
Till next audiofool surfaces
I suppose you are right - the hunt for 'improvement' goes on;;;

100 % Correct;
Hats off to Mr. Jilla ! :)
Excellent job done by him; :licklips:
Always indebted to him for his support & help.

Yes, the room is 'rather difficult' & getting subs in & integrating them was a difficult and up hill task - yet with Jilla's help - we managed - but the 'tone' even Mr. Jilla could not do anything about...
Hence, I decided to live without the 'bass' - I do not regret it - at all.

:lol: something on which I had shared my POV about when I had come over the first time for a listen, if you remember!

Don't beat yourself so much, you will definitely find something that floats your boat soon, after all you know what you are looking for & have the wherewithal to acquire it, watered down notwithstanding.

Have a good 'spiritual experience' on vacation, am sure it will aid in cleansing your tensed mind & come back fresh with a new perspective to what you are aiming for.

:)

:lol: something on which I had shared my POV about when I had come over the first time for a listen, if you remember!
new perspective to what you are aiming for.
Blue = I do not remember - sorry.
Red = I have it very clear in my mind - BAT REX II - the only issue is 45/- K to pay for it !

Blue = I do not remember - sorry.
Red = I have it very clear in my mind - BAT REX II - the only issue is 45/- K to pay for it !

Blue - Obviously you won't since am too small a fry, not in league of guys you regularly associate with, so 100% you won't remember :p

Red - Well, if you want it that bad, you obviously will find ways to acquire it. Won't be the least bit surprised to hear you having it in your room in the near future.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back