LM1875 still relevant ?

Hiten

Hi,
lm1875 is very old (Probably 20 years) low power amplifier IC. I was wondering if anyone is still using them in their daily listening ? Anyone recently procured genuine ic or boards ? Any cheap source to get one (Genuine ofcourse) ? Anyone has good pcb layout ? Probably with builtin powersupply. After selling my DIY amps/preamp i have nothing to listen to. So this (Probably not sure) will be stop gap DIY until I find budget 100 watt amp kit.
thanks and regards.

by any chance would anyone be interested in group buy of

1) genuine LM1875 ICs
or
2) make fresh boards
or
3) have boards/kits/ics for sale ?

Spending money to just listen how things sounds has made me frugal type of DIYer as have incurred loss in building and selling so looking to share shipping+taxes.

in anticipation...

Diyaudiocart has a lm3886 built board available.
If it helps , the cheapest option is tpa3116/3118 because they can run off a single supply like a laptop adapter, so it's pretty close to a plug and play solution. You can be up and running without looking at psu build, design etc
You can get much cheaper stuff on Amazon but this one is one of the more well reviewed boards. You can cough up more and get the volt+d

Last edited:
Thanks greenhorn. I do know about tpa3116. Infact I had bought it few years ago. sound was good. But it stopped working for no reason. As of now I am ok with class a/b chip amps. But I will keep in mind links you have given .
regards

Diyaudiocart has a lm3886 built board available.
If it helps , the cheapest option is tpa3116/3118 because they can run off a single supply like a laptop adapter, so it's pretty close to a plug and play solution. You can be up and running without looking at psu build, design etc
You can get much cheaper stuff on Amazon but this one is one of the more well reviewed boards. You can cough up more and get the volt+d
I have the volt+d and I have pretty much replaced my tube amp with this. The advantage of this amp are

1) Class D and hence very low power consumption. Runs off a laptop power supply
2) Better low frequency and high frequency response as compared to my tube amp. The mids are equal.
3) Higher output with lower power consumption.

If you are not prone to the dreaded psycho-acoustic phenomena, this pretty much will do it for you.

thanks mbhangui.
If you are not prone to the dreaded psycho-acoustic phenomena, this pretty much will do it for you.
I choose to not believe in psychoacoustic as my hearing of high frequencies is gone, and for such things 'dimaag ko jis taraf mod do mood jata hai'. For bad recording I would like to use tone controls thats enough to experience music.

A forum friend has offered free ICs and another friend has offered well thought schematic. So I think LM1875 is pretty much fixed. I may need help on PCB design as I like neat DIY.
Thanks again for suggestions.

Last edited:
All the best Hiten Ji.

Your last build was laid out crazy neat. Not to mention that beautiful enclosure. No way one would dare say it was a diy.

Waiting for your next build. I love people who are brave enough to try and build new things.

All the best Hiten Ji.

Your last build was laid out crazy neat. Not to mention that beautiful enclosure. No way one would dare say it was a diy.

Waiting for your next build. I love people who are brave enough to try and build new things.
Thanks Silencer. Please call me Hiten.
i am slow diyer.

Slow? Come on. You're being patient and attentive to detail.

Pace doesn't matter if the end result is sublime. Keep them coming, Hiten. I am a fan ☺️

ICs procurement didnt happen so I am back to my requirement.

If anyone has genuine ICs kindly tell. I have account at mouser but landing cost and uncertain taxes makes it unrealistically expensive.
regds

Keith
Just yesterday I contacted Matha as I had bought Switches from them in the past. The ICs are chinese they say. As for flipkart most are fake. Locally I bought chinese one for 30 rs. Will search nearby shops soon. atleast they will be usefull to test the circuit.
regds

Keith
Just yesterday I contacted Matha as I had bought Switches from them in the past. The ICs are chinese they say. As for flipkart most are fake. Locally I bought chinese one for 30 rs. Will search nearby shops soon. atleast they will be usefull to test the circuit.
regds
Do look for the genuine chip. I bought a fake 3886 without knowing it was fake. It didn't even last long.

The only genuine one's you will be sure of is to buy from Mouser or digikey and they will cost a lot with shipping. Genuine one's will be available at Lamington Road but moq is 100. :p

Yes Joshua. Looking for genuine as the fakes have different die inside. And details about fake chips and measurements are not there on internet. So a LM1875 may very well be lower power any chip die (As cost saving trick)
Keith
I have friend's electronic shop here who had branch at Lamington Road. I had asked him. Chances are slim but will know in few days.
As a friend he never says No but says dekhta hu dekhta hu :p as he also need large quantity to buy from dealer so avoids going to dealer for my small requirements.
regds

GM
You are probably right Keith, but one is never sure. the price difference (30 rs. vs 350rs.) is significant. Besides at the back of the mind there would be constant thinking am I listening to LM1875 ? Or for that matter any particular IC / amp that one builds. I also dont know how to use scope so after building one can measure.
regds

my friend says he will take a week to seek IC from lamington road. i have asked him to check for genuine he said he will see and buy from known familiar sellers and purchase only if they seem genuine.

meanwhile...
I opened the LM1875 IC I had along with one genuine LM317. The die looks very small compared to real ones posted Here. hardly 2mm x 1.5 mm. where as original has bigger die.
LM317 seems genuine with copper plate. Attaching some pictures.

CHIPS1.jpg

CHIPS.jpg

regds

I'm planning to make my own LM1875 PCB. bought ICs from lamington in 2014, at various rates Rs 50-60-75/- each from multiple shops, Probably all were fakes . One IC (Rs50 from RK) had HF oscillations, Tweeter used to make distorted clipping sound. replaced it with Ic brought from another shop, it worked well. I had used veroboard. Sound was very good (for supposedly fakes) at +/-12V @6W P. Ch. 4Ohm speaker when compared to Norge TDA2030(Genuine) based amplifier . Tested up to +/-20V on a dual SMPS . DM me , I have some good layouts.
PS Your LM3886 amp was a real beauty!

TDA2050 vs LM1875 performance tests to see which is the BEST​

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back