Looking 50 inch(not more) 4k tv

I’m not much of a HT guy as you can see from my signature.
However I’ll say that after few tweakings in video settings , the picture quality on 4K content both from Netflix , Prime , Youtube is superlative - it’s 90% of what you’d get in LG OLEDs priced three times as much.There’s dedicated Netflix and YouTube buttons on remote - very thoughtful.

I have also played God of War from my PS4 , and the smoothness is astonishing. It feels like 90fps although technically it’s max 60fps.The blacks are rich and crisp , and corner to corner sharpness is present even in heavy action \ fast movement set pieces.

I have also played few Blu Ray discs from my Sony BDP , and again I can’t find anything to complain - after the tweaks I made.

The downside ?The App Store is non - android and crap. Apart from three apps rest apps are useless.No Hotstar , Zee or anything. (for me it makes no difference).

Also - no Bluetooth (which does not make any difference to me. ) - this might be a downside for many.

The other downside- the Dolby Vision on Narcos series doesn’t look good to me. Too bland, lacking in contrast and sharpness.
I haven’t yet tried other content with Dolby Vision so unsure if its to do with the series or the TV.

Overall - it’s superb value for money I’d say. Philips has made a winner here.

Ozark is the litmus test for dolby vision. Really dark.
Lesser Tvs render this lifeless and dull.

Ozark is the litmus test for dolby vision. Really dark.
Lesser Tvs render this lifeless and dull.
Is it available on Netflix ?
I don’t watch movies for these Dolby vision gimmicks to be honest. I watch foreign classics from fifties , sixties and seventies which are available on Criterion, Mubi and also my downloaded stuff.

Is it available on Netflix ?
I don’t watch movies for these Dolby vision gimmicks to be honest. I watch foreign classics from fifties , sixties and seventies which are available on Criterion, Mubi and also my downloaded stuff.
yes Ozark is netflix original tv show.

Ok here is my review about TCL QLED C715 50"
Picture Quality:-
SDR - Upscaling is OK, but pls atleast watch 1080p on this tv, not below that.
HDR - Once you switch to 4K HDR or Dolby Vision content OMG . It's treat to watch in this tv. Colors and brightness is good. Clarity and sharpness is on the next level. I think in 50k INR range you will not get any Wide color gamut supported tv which is must for HDR.

Sound Quality:-
It's get pretty loud. Best thing about this tv is bass other than that it's decent.

UI:-
Since it's android built in, you don't have to buy firestick. UI is laggy and it's noticeable, but I think I will get used to it.

Overall it's best bang for buck under 50k, it's a step above those 30k range 4K TV because of its QLED technology and wide color gamut support.

But if u r getting Toshiba U7980 go for it.

I have the Philips 6604. It’s fantastic value for money. The only problem is Dolby Vision isn’t as good as its with 2-3 times higher priced TVs.
Hi Bloom@83 - I am extremely interested in Philips 58 inch 6604 model, however was not able to get any veritable reviews. Could you please provide your feedback on this model?
I am torn between this tv and Toshiba U7980. U79 is almost 5K more currently compared to Philips, but availability is an issue. Although I was going through the U79 thread and it has got rave reviews. Philips 58 inch was sold at lowest price at 39k during last flipkart / amazon sale and will Toshiba U79 at almost ~8k will be justified.
HTIA

Hi Bloom@83 - I am extremely interested in Philips 58 inch 6604 model, however was not able to get any veritable reviews. Could you please provide your feedback on this model?
I am torn between this tv and Toshiba U7980. U79 is almost 5K more currently compared to Philips, but availability is an issue. Although I was going through the U79 thread and it has got rave reviews. Philips 58 inch was sold at lowest price at 39k during last flipkart / amazon sale and will Toshiba U79 at almost ~8k will be justified.
HTIA

You can find my detailed review in this thread only in earlier post.

You can find my detailed review in this thread only in earlier post.
Thanks!
I had read your previous post on Philips tv. Wanted to know more in details about its comparison with Toshiba. And will the price difference with of Philips with U7980 seems justified. No worries.

Availability seems to be major issue on both tv front, unable to find it both these tvs online as well offline.
Probably will wait and pick up whichever tv becomes available

Thanks!
I had read your previous post on Philips tv. Wanted to know more in details about its comparison with Toshiba. And will the price difference with of Philips with U7980 seems justified. No worries.

Availability seems to be major issue on both tv front, unable to find it both these tvs online as well offline.
Probably will wait and pick up whichever tv becomes available

I haven’t watched Toshiba tv so can’t compare.
I have watched expensive LG Oleds and Philips gets to about 90% of that clarity at less than half the price- provided you do the right tweaking . Default settings for it is worst. It’s fantastic VFM. Couldn’t be happier.

I am looking for 65" Toshiba 7980 since it's not available anymore can I go with

Philips 164 cm (65 inches) 6700 Series 4K Ambilight LED Smart TV 65PaUT6703S/94 ?

requirement
Living area with window
variable viewing angle
DTH
or shall I wait for TCL Qled 65" ( sold out)

I am looking for 65" Toshiba 7980 since it's not available anymore can I go with

Philips 164 cm (65 inches) 6700 Series 4K Ambilight LED Smart TV 65PaUT6703S/94 ?

requirement
Living area with window
variable viewing angle
DTH
or shall I wait for TCL Qled 65" ( sold out)

Here is the review. It is a 2018 whathifi award winner.

Also, ambilight is one of a kind technology. See demo here.

If you are looking for 2nd tv, I will recommend this for the unique experience. In fact if iam looking a 65", I will go for this tv. Very good for the price.

U7980 will have better HDR performance if you are into that kind of thing. If you are looking for a first tv, you should worry about HDR and future proofing.

Edit: Just noticed you have the LG CX for HDR duties, given that, Philips should be a no brainer.

Last edited:
Here is the review. It is a 2018 whathifi award winner.

Also, ambilight is one of a kind technology. See demo here.

If you are looking for 2nd tv, I will recommend this for the unique experience. In fact if iam looking a 65", I will go for this tv. Very good for the price.

U7980 will have better HDR performance if you are into that kind of thing. If you are looking for a first tv, you should worry about HDR and future proofing.

Edit: Just noticed you have the LG CX for HDR duties, given that, Philips should be a no brainer.
Thanks need one more advise I am getting lg model below at a marginal price diff of extra 4000
Which one will you recommend ?

LG 164 cm (65 inches) 4K Ultra HD Smart IPS LED TV 65UM7290PTD (Ceramic Black) (2020 Model) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08CBZ4JQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZyKLFb15XYB9J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks need one more advise I am getting lg model below at a marginal price diff of extra 4000
Which one will you recommend ?

LG 164 cm (65 inches) 4K Ultra HD Smart IPS LED TV 65UM7290PTD (Ceramic Black) (2020 Model) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08CBZ4JQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZyKLFb15XYB9J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
LG tvs below the OLEDs tend to have niggling usability issues with questionable black levels. And usual IPS disadvantes apply.
If you are decided on getting an IPS tv, I would recommend go with panasonic rather than LG.

Philips Review from Gadgets Now

They have reviewed at release prices of 1.05L.
For 33k it is selling right now, it is less than 1/3 the price. Whole rating will vary.

Also, the 65" model is from last year and does not have dolby vision and dolby atmos. whathifi review I shared earlier is the accurate review for that.

Very odd review. Getting the price wrong for the product which is retailing at almost 1/3rd of the price reviewer is quoting.
If I am not mistaken, this TV was launched at the discounted price of ~ 50K (58 inch model) and is available in Flipkart / other e-tailers around 45 - 50K. How can a reviewer misjudge a pricing when the PRICE is one of the most important criteria for reviewing.

Apart from the price issue, it is good to read review about this TV. Oddly, the reviewer did not touch based upon lack of Bluetooth which might be a concern for some. But it is assuring that reviewer rated it PQ well and considering the reviewer was talking about ~ 1L price point, it seems that the comment about PQ would be in comparison to relatively priced TVs (~ 1 L) which is a raving point.

I am just waiting for this to come in stock at my place and also to further reduction in price to ~ 40K for 58 inch (Amazon/ Flipkart were selling it for 40K for a day or two during sale, missed grabbing it then). Seems like this will be steal @ 40 and with fire stick / android box, these obvious issues of user interface could be easily overcome.

I wanted to know views of this forum regarding Philips. I had called up bunch of retailers - Vijay Sales, Kohinoor, Sony Mony and several other local ones here in Mumbai and almost all of these were stating that Philips has stopped production and these newer TVs were manufactured by different company using Philips license. I wonder the credibility of their statements and thought they were just nudging me to buy one of Big 3 TV.

Back