Looking 50 inch(not more) 4k tv

I wanted to know views of this forum regarding Philips. I had called up bunch of retailers - Vijay Sales, Kohinoor, Sony Mony and several other local ones here in Mumbai and almost all of these were stating that Philips has stopped production and these newer TVs were manufactured by different company using Philips license. I wonder the credibility of their statements and thought they were just nudging me to buy one of Big 3 TV.
Look around in different threads, there is one fm who has written a review and is happy.
Philips got the basics right. All TVs are DLED with micro dimming and pixel perfect engine which has superior motion. No edge lit models in india. All tvs also come with very thin bezels created for their ambilight technology to shine.

Philips tv business is acquired by TPVision long back around 2013-2014 and they are producing solely philips tvs with philips picture engines like pixel perfect and p5. Prior to that they were producing only computer monitors (AOC). So it is like continuity of business and not like licensing.

It is not like the acquisition of sharp or toshiba by hisense where in they acquired, stripped down and consumed technologies and improved their own tvs and release toshiba and sharp branded tvs alongside hisense.

Brand licensing is still below in hierarchy. It is like motorola and nokia names licensed for skyworth tvs by flipkart.

Thanks for the detailed clarification. So in a way they are manufacturing the TV and seems to be better in comparison to a brand licensing ala Flipkart.

I had already read the review from one of poster in this forum. Will probably buy get this TV around Diwali, provided I get a good deal (~ 40k) or will go with Toshiba U7980 around same time depending upon the offers.
Thanks

Micro Dimming is the biggest joke in the TV industry and we should refrain from using that marketing feature on a forum like Hifivision. This is what rtings has to say about Micro Dimming:

• Micro dimming: Processes the video in an attempt to mimic local dimming. It doesn’t dim the backlight, but instead, changes the contrast of different areas of the picture. Video purists usually dislike it, because it messes with the video settings of the TV, changing contrast from frame to frame. We don’t recommend using it.

Micro Dimming is the biggest joke in the TV industry and we should refrain from using that marketing feature on a forum like Hifivision. This is what rtings has to say about Micro Dimming:

• Micro dimming: Processes the video in an attempt to mimic local dimming. It doesn’t dim the backlight, but instead, changes the contrast of different areas of the picture. Video purists usually dislike it, because it messes with the video settings of the TV, changing contrast from frame to frame. We don’t recommend using it.

Can you post the link where it says so? Usually Samsung do a bad job of micro dimming with edge lits and it got a bad name. Coupled with frame dimming, they tend to produce very dark picture in the low end sets.

If done right and in DLED context, it can be very good as I explained earlier.

Micro dimming is not the biggest joke in tv industry. Edge lit tvs are. Edge lits combined with anything is a joke and micro dimming is no exception.

Below is an example of particularly worse implementation of local dimming in edge lits. So local dimming is not always great either.

It all comes down to implementation.

Last edited:
I’m not much of a HT guy as you can see from my signature.
However I’ll say that after few tweakings in video settings , the picture quality on 4K content both from Netflix , Prime , Youtube is superlative - it’s 90% of what you’d get in LG OLEDs priced three times as much.There’s dedicated Netflix and YouTube buttons on remote - very thoughtful.

I have also played God of War from my PS4 , and the smoothness is astonishing. It feels like 90fps although technically it’s max 60fps.The blacks are rich and crisp , and corner to corner sharpness is present even in heavy action \ fast movement set pieces.

I have also played few Blu Ray discs from my Sony BDP , and again I can’t find anything to complain - after the tweaks I made.

The downside ?The App Store is non - android and crap. Apart from three apps rest apps are useless.No Hotstar , Zee or anything. (for me it makes no difference).

Also - no Bluetooth (which does not make any difference to me. ) - this might be a downside for many.

The other downside- the Dolby Vision on Narcos series doesn’t look good to me. Too bland, lacking in contrast and sharpness.
I haven’t yet tried other content with Dolby Vision so unsure if its to do with the series or the TV.

Overall - it’s superb value for money I’d say. Philips has made a winner here.
Hi Bloom@83:
Could you provide your views on Remote? I think it doesnt have voice functions, right?

Also does it have dual band wifi? Also any idea about RAM and storage ? Also what about nits?
The product page over their official website / ecommerce lacks tons of info

Last edited:
Remote doesn’t have voice support.
No clue about RAM and storage. Never came in my mind to check.
I have connected tv to router directly with a Cat6 Ethernet.

Did u try ozark?
Oh yes I did. Initially with default settings it wasn’t looking good (lacking contrast ). After THX recommended settings which a FM posted in Amazon review of all places , Dolby Vision in Ozark looks great , with the right amount of highlights and shadows.

Today finally pulled the trigger on Philips 6604. Was eyeing it for long, With the tv becoming available and Flipkart sale, bought it now.

Will share views once it is delivered and installed in a day or two.

Thanks for the members in here for providing their valuable opinions on the tv. ☺️

I think full array local dimming is only possible in Direct backlit sets and can be bulkier and may consume a lot more power plus the response times may be longer. Edge lit sets are therefore not a total joke.

Of the 50" tvs out there I think Mitashi is the cheapest and best considering it comes for a price of 40" tvs.

Today finally pulled the trigger on Philips 6604. Was eyeing it for long, With the tv becoming available and Flipkart sale, bought it now.

Will share views once it is delivered and installed in a day or two.

Thanks for the members in here for providing their valuable opinions on the tv. ☺️
Most of the expert mode settings need to be turned off. PM me if you need guidance.

Most of the expert mode settings need to be turned off. PM me if you need guidance.
Hi, I am a new member and this is my first post. I have purchased 50PUT6604 after reading a lot of your posts. Thank you for suggesting this television. Can you kindly post your display settings for sdr hdr and dolby vision content.?Also is it normal that the tv defaults to hdr personal from cinema if it was not used for 2 days?

Also there is some gap at the top between screen and bezel. Is it normal? Sorry for lots of questions.

I feel this tv is very good for the price. The recessed ports at the back are very difficult to use with some hdmi cables. This is the only problem. If these ports were on the side the tv would have been near perfect.

Hi, I am a new member and this is my first post. I have purchased 50PUT6604 after reading a lot of your posts. Thank you for suggesting this television. Can you kindly post your display settings for sdr hdr and dolby vision content.?Also is it normal that the tv defaults to hdr personal from cinema if it was not used for 2 days?

Also there is some gap at the top between screen and bezel. Is it normal? Sorry for lots of questions.

I feel this tv is very good for the price. The recessed ports at the back are very difficult to use with some hdmi cables. This is the only problem. If these ports were on the side the tv would have been near perfect.

Hello

Congrats.
No the tv doesn’t default to HDR if not used.
It has individual profile settings saved for hard disk, OTT apps , DTH connection etc.

Personally I dislike HDR both in photography as well as television. I have tuned my tv with the following settings and getting very satisfactory results. Another member did the same yesterday (new owner ) and found the results very good.

Picture Style : Personal
Color 62 (as per your taste )
Contrast 100
Sharpness 5 (or 4)
Brightness 32 (can increase to 35 in daylight )

Expert mode settings :
Color enhancement: Off
Color temperature: (warm or normal as per taste )
White point alignment :
Red : 125 , Green : 115 , Blue : 104 .. rest three all zero
Contrast mode : Off
Dynamic contrast: Off
Video contrast: 100
Gamma : -1
Ultra resolution: On
MPEG artifiact resolution: Either off or minimum
Motion style : Standard (you can experiment )

For HDR \ Dolby Vision content it’s same except that I need to increase or decrease the Brightness level as per the actual content shown.
And I keep the Dolby Vision setting too as ‘Personal’.

Hi, great buy. This TV has a beast of a performance and seems like highly underrated, probably more to do with not being More Smart enough (no bluetooth, no voice remote, Single band 2.4 G wifi, limited apps, no side loading of apps). However all these can be easily overcome with Android box, fire stick. But as the main intent of TV is and should be it's Picture Quality, this is where this TV performs outstanding. I have seen many TVs over past month or so in showrooms and this TV's PQ is, if not at par but within 90-95% of super expensive oled/ high end TV's from LGs, Samsung, Sony.

You can use the settings mentioned above by bloom@83. I am using the same settings and found the PQ greatly enhanced.

Regarding your concern on top gap between bezel, I don't think it is there in my TV, will probably confirm it in evening.

And no issues on the questions part..keep them flowing... I am too new to this forum but have found members in here very friendly and professionals with right knowledge and expertise.

Hi, great buy. This TV has a beast of a performance and seems like highly underrated, probably more to do with not being More Smart enough (no bluetooth, no voice remote, Single band 2.4 G wifi, limited apps, no side loading of apps). However all these can be easily overcome with Android box, fire stick. But as the main intent of TV is and should be it's Picture Quality, this is where this TV performs outstanding. I have seen many TVs over past month or so in showrooms and this TV's PQ is, if not at par but within 90-95% of super expensive oled/ high end TV's from LGs, Samsung, Sony.

You can use the settings mentioned above by bloom@83. I am using the same settings and found the PQ greatly enhanced.

Regarding your concern on top gap between bezel, I don't think it is there in my TV, will probably confirm it in evening.

And no issues on the questions part..keep them flowing... I am too new to this forum but have found members in here very friendly and professionals with right knowledge and expertise.

That’s the point I keep on mentioning , at one fifth the price of LG C9 /CX it’s giving me 90% of that picture quality.

Outstanding value for money !!

And yes I have plugged in a Firestick 4K so all those gripes with TV OS , limited app etc is over with just 3.5K. No BT also makes cost cut sense as basic sound bars will more than make up for it.

And yes I have plugged in a Firestick 4K so all those gripes with TV OS , limited app etc is over with just 3.5K. No BT also makes cost cut sense as basic sound bars will more than make up for it.
even firestick have bluetooth streaming.

Back