looking for a 42 inch

40B650 is now available in Hyderabad..

I agree with adder..
IMHO ..Overall it is way superior to LG 200hz model..

checked at Bajaj Electronics Kukatpally this sunday..
price offered 62.5K (without any free gift)..
65.5K with Samsung Digital camera.

If you will search this forum you will find that this TV can play HD movies from USB HDD (even NTFS formatted)..

40B650 is now available in Hyderabad..

I agree with adder..
IMHO ..Overall it is way superior to LG 200hz model..

checked at Bajaj Electronics Kukatpally this sunday..
price offered 62.5K (without any free gift)..
65.5K with Samsung Digital camera.

If you will search this forum you will find that this TV can play HD movies from USB HDD (even NTFS formatted)..

This is a great price for the TV. Are you sure of the pricing?
If you are looking for one, just grab it.

thx decibel i will check with ne..ne ides about the price for the same mentioned above..

however i have checked few from samsung those are 40 incgh lcd but price is more compared to lg and..

also i checked pannty viera which they are offering three year warranty. almost same price band of 55-58.

checked plasma from samsung, lg and panny but less inclined due to limited capability of 720 p and also not able to play 24p

best option i have sorted out is..

lg jazz theatre
42in
700w (pmpo) guess some 25 w rms (9 speakers 5.1 virtual surround and 2 subs for bass)
200hz
16:9
2000000:1 contrast
usb support for jpeg,divx,avi and videos.
Full hd 1020p (24p video support as well)
3 hdmi port, 2 composite, 2 component, 1 usb.
response time 2ms

he started a price for 63 which i have bargained to 55 cheapest in hyderabad

excite store, metropolitian mall,banjara hills

Plz comment for the same as the other lcds in same range are only 50hz and 5 ms reponse time
also they got contrast ratio for 75000:1 also no usb connectivity so i can swap buying dvd player for a month.. later on plannin to get a xtremer-pro which is on pre-booking right now

Hey.. Please don't rush into the LGs.

People here think that Iam biased against the LG LCDs.. So you may choose to ignore my comments.

Samsung B530 is an excellent model. Or @ 62k (as posted by alok), B650 is unbeatable.

200Hz processing in LG Jazz is just numbers IMO. Please have a demo with and without the 200Hz to find out yourself.

Also the contrast ratio mentioned by LG is bullshit.. They tend to over project. You are better off with sony or samsung if 100Hz and contrast ratio are priority.

The Jazz movie playback also does not play HD contents and you cannot adjust picture setting in movie mode.

Samsung B530 + Xtremer will come to ~62k.
B650 ~62k. You won't need Xtremer in this case.

Both are excellent options comparitively. I vote for the B650 though.

What the LG Jazz theatre excells in is the sound. Rest all you need to upgrade anyway.

Last edited:
hey Blasto,

after going trough your home review thread..I am more inclined towards 42B450 Plasma.. :)

I am not able to get it below 45K anywhere in hyderabad.. is it a good price as of now?

One of my colleague has placed an order for 40B650.. I will get a home demo at his house..and then I will make the final call..

BTW..any idea how is 40B650 LCD compared to 42B450 plasma?????
ignore the price difference..
Usage:50% tata sky, 25% SD movies, 25% HD/FullHD movies..I have Xtreamer..

hey Blasto,

after going trough your home review thread..I am more inclined towards 42B450 Plasma.. :)

I am not able to get it below 45K anywhere in hyderabad.. is it a good price as of now?

One of my colleague has placed an order for 40B650.. I will get a home demo at his house..and then I will make the final call..

BTW..any idea how is 40B650 LCD compared to 42B450 plasma?????
ignore the price difference..
Usage:50% tata sky, 25% SD movies, 25% HD/FullHD movies..I have Xtreamer..

B650 LCD vs B450 plasma excluding price difference and the fact that you have extremer?? Though choice.. :D
I guess you should see it for youself.. :p

Once you are done with the demo in your friend's house, drop by my house for the demo of the B450 plasma.. I have SUN DTH, Airtel DTH for SD and WDTV for HD..

Remember that you can get 50" B450 for ~57k. If you compare that with 40B650, You know who the winner is..

Ironhorse was also planning to visit my house for the demo.. We can sync up..

Blasto, are you sure that you don't need a media player with b650? Does the tv support all formats and codecs? I don't know if the video/sound quality will be different (better) when you use an external media player instead of playing from the usb port of the tv.

B650 LCD vs B450 plasma excluding price difference and the fact that you have extremer?? Though choice.. :D
I guess you should see it for youself.. :p

Once you are done with the demo in your friend's house, drop by my house for the demo of the B450 plasma.. I have SUN DTH, Airtel DTH for SD and WDTV for HD..

Remember that you can get 50" B450 for ~57k. If you compare that with 40B650, You know who the winner is..

Ironhorse was also planning to visit my house for the demo.. We can sync up..

Hey blasto, I'd like to see WDTV in action (planning to buy wdtv or xtreamer soon). Can you keep me in the loop so that I can visit along with them? thanks

Hey blasto, I'd like to see WDTV in action (planning to buy wdtv or xtreamer soon). Can you keep me in the loop so that I can visit along with them? thanks

Sure.. Will sync up..
Watched Planet Earth HD with WDTV..

Really scary to see the lava bubbling up.. :D:D

Hi addagalla,

B650 does play all HD format..
checkout this thread..

http://www.hifivision.com/television/4709-samsung-lab650-owners-discussion-reviews-opinion.html

You may need to upgrade firmware to get internet@TV at work..it has an ethernet port as well..

I gathered this information from B650 thread above... will be getting a home demo at my colleagues house soon..

Lets plan a visit to Blasto's house..(sometime during weekend).. i will bring my Xtreamer also..so that you can compare WDTV against Xtreamer..:yahoo:

Last edited:
Blasto, are you sure that you don't need a media player with b650? Does the tv support all formats and codecs? I don't know if the video/sound quality will be different (better) when you use an external media player instead of playing from the usb port of the tv.

I have no way of verifying the codec support/quality etc..

But if the owner's thread at
http://www.hifivision.com/television/4709-samsung-lab650-owners-discussion-reviews-opinion.html
is to be believed, I would assume it handles atleast 90% codecs handled by the Xtreamer..

Thanks,

Hey.. Please don't rush into the LGs.

People here think that Iam biased against the LG LCDs.. So you may choose to ignore my comments.

Samsung B530 is an excellent model. Or @ 62k (as posted by alok), B650 is unbeatable.

200Hz processing in LG Jazz is just numbers IMO. Please have a demo with and without the 200Hz to find out yourself.

Also the contrast ratio mentioned by LG is bullshit.. They tend to over project. You are better off with sony or samsung if 100Hz and contrast ratio are priority.

The Jazz movie playback also does not play HD contents and you cannot adjust picture setting in movie mode.

Both are excellent options comparitively. I vote for the B650 though.

What the LG Jazz theatre excells in is the sound. Rest all you need to upgrade anyway.

You do sound Biased...:) 200hz is just NOT numbers and yes even i would suggest to take a demo........I remember in some other thread as well you said 200Hz does not make any different, to which I was surprised to your visual observation (though I did'nt comment). It does make a very noticible difference (though in a negitive sense, thats another thing, but it does make a difference). And BTW my scarlet is 100hz (not 200) with an option to turn it off.

I am not sure what do you mean by jazz movie playback,mine is not jazz, mine is scarlet, which playes 720x533 divx content off the USB just fine. If by HD you mean 720p or 1080p mkv files, I am skeptical that Samsung B550/B650 playes it, unless an owner tries and confirms it (even if it does it still does not justifies the price, feature ratio) . I went to samsung site and nothing is mentioned under USB feature for HD playback CHECKOUT and its quoted hell 115K... lol

Also there is no movie mode in LG sets, there are EIGHT picture modes available (excluding intelligent senser mode) and all 8 can be changed per user preference. Infact (read my review) the setting done in any mode is remembered by the TV even if its switched of from the main. To go further when I change the playback mode from my AVR from Gaming to BlueRay, my LG LCD changes its picture mode from GAME to Expert 1 (for BR) automatically.....

finally if contrast ratio is bullshit then the so called "Revolutionary LED" samsung technology was a complete miss leading horseshit which they tried to pull on the consumer market by overprcing the product when launched......

though people soon realised the actuall truth......

Last edited:
Hi addagalla,

B650 does play all HD format..
checkout this thread..

You may need to upgrade firmware to get internet@TV at work..it has an ethernet port as well..

I gathered this information from B650 thread above... will be getting a home demo at my colleagues house soon..

Lets plan a visit to Blasto's house..(sometime during weekend).. i will bring my Xtreamer also..so that you can compare WDTV against Xtreamer..:yahoo:

I'll checkout the thread on b650.

Yeah, it's the thing I wanted.. comparing wdtv & xtreamer, so that's a great offer from you, thanks!

You do sound Biased...:) 200hz is just NOT numbers and yes even i would suggest to take a demo........I remember in some other thread as well you said 200Hz does not make any different, to which I was surprised to your visual observation (though I did'nt comment). It does make a very noticible difference (though in a negitive sense, thats another thing, but it does make a difference). And BTW my scarlet is 100hz (not 200) with an option to turn it off.

I bet when you get a LG LCD, You will end up turning it off.
I was looking for improvements in fast motion the 200Hz would bring in but I reiterate, there were none.
There could be noticible (albeit negative) effects of 200Hz that would be obvious in extended use.. But with a demo, I could only conclude the non-effects on areas it was supposed to do improvements.

I am not sure what do you mean by jazz movie playback,mine is not jazz, mine is scarlet, which playes 720x533 divx content off the USB just fine. If by HD you mean 720p or 1080p mkv files, I am skeptical that Samsung B550/B650 playes it, unless an owner tries and confirms it (even if it does it still does not justifies the price, feature ratio) . I went to samsung site and nothing is mentioned under USB feature for HD playback CHECKOUT and its quoted hell 115K... lol

720x533 is not 720p. Infact it is not even a standard.. Could be 533i/p..
SD playback is till 576p..

720p is 1280720.

720p, 1080i and 1080p are HD playbacks.. You need media player for playing that. B650 has the support for playing these. Quality of playback is a grey area for me as I haven't witnessed it. But the owners seem happy.

Also there is no movie mode in LG sets, there are EIGHT picture modes available (excluding intelligent senser mode) and all 8 can be changed per user preference. Infact (read my review) the setting done in any mode is remembered by the TV even if its switched of from the main. To go further when I change the playback mode from my AVR from Gaming to BlueRay, my LG LCD changes its picture mode from GAME to Expert 1 (for BR) automatically.....

I was talking about the USB movie playback. Can you change the picture settings when in USB mode?

finally if contrast ratio is bullshit then the so called "Revolutionary LED" samsung technology was a complete miss leading horseshit which they tried to pull on the consumer market by overprcing the product when launched......

though people soon realised the actuall truth......

Contrast ratio is not bullshit but the numbers quoted are bullshit..
For the same quoted contrast ratio, A Samsung/Sony is better than LGs. This is because LGs have poor native contrast and the dynamic manipulation is not good too.
I agree that the whole LED thing is a hoax. Nothing revolutionary about it except a slimmer profile.

720x533 is not 720p. Infact it is not even a standard.. Could be 533i/p..
SD playback is till 576p..
720p is 1280720.
720p, 1080i and 1080p are HD playbacks.. You need media player for playing that. B650 has the support for playing these. Quality of playback is a grey area for me as I haven't witnessed it. But the owners seem happy.

lol....I know what 720p is, never said 720x533 is, did I....my next statement confirms......If by HD you mean 720p or 1080p mkv files

which is what I still say.....I am skeptical about. Post one thread where in an owner confirms B650 playing 720p mkv files off a USB stick......and I will be quite about this topic.

Contrast ratio is not bullshit but the numbers quoted are bullshit..
For the same quoted contrast ratio, A Samsung/Sony is better than LGs. This is because LGs have poor native contrast and the dynamic manipulation is not good too.
I agree that the whole LED thing is a hoax. Nothing revolutionary about it except a slimmer profile.

Well then it becomes a subjective argument coz what ever may be the numbers, comparing side by side did not make any difference to me (my review confirms) where in as I mentioned in the review again, customizing the picture made drastic improvement in the PQ over samsung and hence the purchase......

lol....I know what 720p is, never said 720x533 is, did I....my next statement confirms......If by HD you mean 720p or 1080p mkv files

which is what I still say.....I am skeptical about. Post one thread where in an owner confirms B650 playing 720p mkv files off a USB stick......and I will be quite about this topic.

I have posted the link in the earlier page.. Posting again..

http://www.hifivision.com/televisio...s-discussion-reviews-opinion-2.html#post54434

http://www.hifivision.com/televisio...s-discussion-reviews-opinion-2.html#post54441

Well then it becomes a subjective argument coz what ever may be the numbers, comparing side by side did not make any difference to me (my review confirms) where in as I mentioned in the review again, customizing the picture made drastic improvement in the PQ over samsung and hence the purchase......

I never questioned your purchase. :)
If you see the contrast in LG more than Samsung, good for you. ANSI measurements say a different story..

And may I know which two LCDs from LG and samsung you compared? I persume you made picture changes in the samsung too?

Here is an objective comparison of your LH70 and B650. See for yourself.
http://tv-lcd-thai.blogspot.com/2009/08/fire-fighting-break-review-lg-lh70-vs.html

Last edited:

Where is the post where it says it playes 720p HD files all it confirms is it plays mkvs through ext hdd. Plus as I said even if it does still a substantial price difference is not justified especially when the PQ is same if not better per even your standards.....

I never questioned your purchase. :)
If you see the contrast in LG more than Samsung, good for you. ANSI measurements say a different story..

lol....ANSI Story....ROFL, you believe the ANSI measurement a concrete proof of better contrast ratio....man you win then, I end the argument here.......let the viewer decide by him self which PQ looks better.....

And may I know which two LCDs from LG and samsung you compared? I persume you made picture changes in the samsung too?

Read the review man.......initially all setting were neutral with no Picture enhancements enabled, and as I am saying again and again, few parameter were better in Samsung and few in LG. Let me rephrease the para I mentioned in my review...

What I did was I took my own BRp and disk and connected it to a Samsung 47 and two of LGs 47, re-set all the display setting to one neutral figure. Turned off all enhancement modes available for all the models and reviewed. The BR I played was my Night in the Museum 2. Now believe it or not after doing this all 3 LCDs more or less were same in PQ, If I had to differentiate LG had better vibrant colours, and Samsung was better in displaying blacks. Sharpness was also better in LG, but the Glossy shine of the picture was in Samsung. Then what made me decide for LG.?? that is when I started fiddling with the PQ controls and started customizing the picture, that is where LG out performed by a fair margin, few adjustments with the picture controls and I was surprised how good LG PQ was looking over Samsung, unfortunately I could never configure Samsung controls to get the same PQ as LG. The blacks that were looking good on Samsung on neutral setting were overshadow and easily lacking by the richness of LG blacks by adjusting the Blacklevel, gamma, contrast and dynamic contrast. And trust me when it comes to customizing controls, LG has provided enough to adjust PQ per your needs.

Pay attention to the bold statement....

Here is an objective comparison of your LH70 and B650. See for yourself.
Fire fighting break! Review LG LH70 VS Samsung B650 Who is Who will go ...

And you are giving me a consumer blog comparision (TV Thiland!!! WHT) who is rating the sets per his standards/understanding........in that case here is what I give another commoin user who has both Scarlet LH70 and Samsung B650 and reports bad ghosting and poor PQ than LG where in expecting (as you and few others do as well) that Samsung PQ is "supposed" to be better than LG.....

Samsung B650 blurring issues - TVs - Home theatre

Seriously man people have underestimated LG in terms of LCDs......same as poor Chevy Spark..........Get out of preconcevied notions and concepts LG is as good as Sammy or Sony if not better in PQ.......but the price with which LG is offered make it better.

I agree with sam9s - LG has good PQ, and great VFM. Comparing LH70 and B650 is meaningless - if you look at 47'' prices, LH70 is approx 70K and B650 is 97K. How do you compare two TVs with such a wide price difference ?

A fairer comparison is LH70 with B530/B550. Even there, the samsung doesnt have 100 Hz, and i dont know why, dont even mention the response time in their specs.

I read in this thread that the 40B650 is 62k. I persume that the Jazz/Scarlet is close to this price range with 5k range.

All my comments are based on the above.

If the price difference in 47" is 27k, None of my comments apply to 47".

40B650 is excellent VFM for 62k compared to the LGs. This thread title too reads 42" :)

@Sam9s..

I think you too are talking from the point of view of 47"..
@40", B650 is ~7k more than the Jazz is what I read from the thread.
Please give your suggestion based on that.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back