Looking for a budget turntable with all modern facilities

turntable lover

What are the turntables of saregama brand available in kolkata? Please mention their price. I want to know the brands which are cheap but with modern facilities. I am a newcomer to this site.I have a huge collection of 33 & 78rpm records that I want to play and archive in computer through usb jack. Please mention whether a turntable is enough or a amplifier is mandatory. If yes please mention the matching brand with its price. Besides saregama if there is any other good brand available in kolkata please mention its price and location of shop that can fulfill my requirements. Please also inform me where secondhand turntables are available.
Thanks with Regards
Bishakh

Last edited:
If its just for conversion to digital thru usb, you can get one of the entry level Lencos that are sold in most Retail chains. They come with a USB out.

Get a Rega, Music Hall or ProJect entry level turntable and buy a preamp phono amp with a USB out.
I had a ProJect preamp that had a USB out and I could convert some of my LPs to digital form using Audacity.

I dont think there is any need to buy a TT just for the purpose of conversion of vinyl.

With the kind of turntable under discussion, converted mp3 wont be any better than the mp3s already available all over the web. Effort required to convert LP into mp3 also will be much more then simply buying mp3 or downloading.

I will suggest to buy turntable only if someone want to listen vinyl music.

yes, instead of buying a TT sell your records and buy CD or mp3 online. It would be cheaper, better quality than conversion in home environment, and will also free up lot of space at home.

Don't convert. Listen to the LPs and shellacs as they are.

+1 to this approach.

However, from what I gather, you are not too keen about vinyl and just want to convert your stuff to digital format. If that's the case, then anm's approach is the best. Don't buy a TT but sell off your vinyl and get CDs or MP3s. Maybe you can locate someone who can convert them for you. You'd be able to save some (if not, make some) money in the bargain. TTs are an expensive hobby and the TT sickness tends to lead to a never ending quest for perfection, which would burn a significant hole in your pocket. Also, if you are not familiar with the format, you'll end up finding your CDs and MP3s sounding much better than your vinyl. TTs are not plug and play and I could call playing and maintaining one's TT and vinyl, an art in itself. If it is out of genuine love and interest in the format, then you must take the plunge.

what are some recommended TT's to buy which have all the rpm settings?
also does anyone have links to restore old vinyls?
thanks!

what are some recommended TT's to buy which have all the rpm settings?
also does anyone have links to restore old vinyls?
thanks!

Hi Abhishek,

I think all new TTs that are sold come with only 2 speeds -33 & 45 RPM. The speeds that you would miss are 16 & 78 RPMs. I dont think that 16 RPM would be very much needed by you and 78 RPM would be required to play old shellac Gramophone records. If you are looking for entry level TTs (& with the fact that they will have only 2 speeds -33/45) then you may go for those listed on Saregama website. You can try flipkart for some discounts. But most of them are entry level & some are quite expensive.
If you like, you may look into used TT market which may turn out to be economical & would sound better than those new TTs in the entry to mid level. If interested, you may look into classifieds of our forum & you may turn lucky there.
I didnt get the second part of your question...restore old vinyls? Are they somwhat damaged that you want to be restored? What kind of restoration exactly you are looking for?

Regards,
Saket

Hi

Restore would mean more of TLC ( tender love & care ) with the record collection which has been in storage for a few years..

I need the 78rpm for some old records ( vinyls ) which are studio edits from HMV from the 1930's, which was the point of my question. thanks for your detailed response, much appreciated!

Hello Abhishek,

I get your point. There are some old technics which have 78RPM settings like SP15 which might be available for online purchase.
By the way, I see that you live in Kolkata. You can visit Lenin Sarani & see the stuff with the street side vendors. You can get old turntables/record players with 78 RPM speed with a flip-over stylus for playing old shellac & microgrooves LPs. I have seen HMV & Philips in abundance in that area. Have a good bargain and this will work out to be cheaper & better option than an online purchase. You will get a fairly good player under 2K.
Last time, I was in Kolkata , I took one Mr. Javed's number, probably a shop with the name of 'Gramophone House'. Dont have the number right now, but will search for it at my home. You can use this TT to play your 78s while get a decent TT for playing newer records. By this way, your options will be more flexible while looking for a decent Hi-fi as there will be no compulsion of 78 RPM selector.

Regards,
Saket

This may sound a bit dumb but the best turntables for 78rpm are without doubt, Garrards.

You can get yourself a very cheap old Garrard changer or Garrard SP series and keep it as a dedicated turntable for 78rpm records. Remember to use a 78rpm stylus and matching cart for the purpose (the usual diamond tip stylii of MM carts for microgroove records, cannot be used)

Hi

Restore would mean more of TLC ( tender love & care ) with the record collection which has been in storage for a few years..

I need the 78rpm for some old records ( vinyls ) which are studio edits from HMV from the 1930's, which was the point of my question. thanks for your detailed response, much appreciated!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back