Looking for Active Subwoofer for Sony MHC-GNZ88D

Hi guys,

I was totally out of the site . Also I did'nt managed to get that SUB . Can you please suggest one more for me .

Please help guys....

Hello to everyone of you great Audiophile folks!
I am just freshly regd. to this forum and I have read all the past thread replies.
Previously I had Sony MHC-GN 88D and any subwoofer with LFE in can work. I used Sony SA-WM 500 and JBL SCS200 sub.

Look the thing is I too have a completely functional unit (though I'm not sure it's still performing 100% as it was factory-calibrated back then. I don't even know if I'm 3rd/4th/may be even 5th user of it but I gotta yell ya one thing: This System is just a complete package for Home Audio Hi-Fi entertainment! I mean 750W RMS Power is just Bonkers! My house shakes at just 40% volume. I mean I don't see even a single fault or any sort of noise or distortion in it's general output at reasonably loud volumes, cuz who cranks all the way upto 100% on such a treasure from past)

Now what I only need is a great affordable Subwoofer to pair with it and see how it performs (I can't just go beyond 5k or 6k something along those lines). The only problem is that I can't just find any OEM Sub (cuz why not use the original sub SA-GN1) that the company made an optional choice along with this unit, neither on OLX/Quickr (which are the only two marketplaces available in India for Buying used products) nor even Offline (No person in my circle is using such products from Sony).
Apart from this, I am somewhat skeptical to use any Sony or other Car Sub with this, cuz idk may be it'll work as the Component itself has a dedicated Sub-out port.

Please Please Please suggest me the best budget option that I'll be ready to go with as I am struggling for years (6 years since this thing is with me) to get the best outta my beloved MHC-GN88D (as I don't wanna buy those Hefty expensive multi thousand dollar systems).

Here's the OEM Subwoofer SA-GN1.images.jpeg

Last edited:
Your system have a built-in subwoofer so there is no need of subwoofer. Because two 8 inch built-in subwoofers are sufficient for casual listening. In settings you can direct LFE to main speakers with no subwoofer. Still if you wish to add a subwoofer than you must have budget of at least 10k so that you may have a subwoofer with 10 inch driver and at least 150w RMS power which will do justice with your system.

Your system have a built-in subwoofer so there is no need of subwoofer. Because two 8 inch built-in subwoofers are sufficient for casual listening. In settings you can direct LFE to main speakers with no subwoofer. Still if you wish to add a subwoofer than you must have budget of at least 10k so that you may have a subwoofer with 10 inch driver and at least 150w RMS power which will do justice with your system.
My gosh!
I am afraid I just haven't seen any settings to turn LFE via main speaker units....yes I know my 4 speakers are sufficient to drive as Low 30 Hz frequencies (as I've tested them in my car) but as of now idk why I haven't been able to get the same response when all 4 speakers are hooked to The HCD-GN88D Main Unit/Component ( may be it's because of the LFE thing that you're sayin)
Dude, I'mma tell you one thing, you have no idea for how long I've been decaying to at least get an idea of how badass will all 4 speakers perform (driven by MU) in Low Frequency response since I've got this Monster as a gift on my 13th birthday !
Just tell me how to turn this setting.
One quick addition: I have got a Chinese cheapass BT/AUX/SD CARD/USB MP3 player (I can show it to you if you want it) embedded at the front left grill portion of the Main Unit. Actually, a well-known reputed electronics technician did it. Moreover, the buttons on the HCD-GN88D MAIN UNIT started malfunctioning since 2014 (if I Remember it correctly). Now whenever I try to change Spectrum, EQ, Illumination settings via the Menu Selector Joystick (present on right near the display), other settings like PFile presets, Game EQ, etc. just errandly change (This malfunctioning is happening since my electronics technician disconnected the 3-Disc DVD Changer Unit (or in other words, the DVD Player has been completely terminated and isolated from the Main Unit). I made him cut it off because the DISC Changer was rotating on automatically and wasn't working since Day 1.
Please Troubleshoot me out.

I'll be ever so greatly grateful to you, bro if you're able to solve my problem.

It's better to service the unit from authorized Sony service center to get best for your system. You may not able to connect any auxillary devices to this system as it doesn't have any input officially. Get it serviced properly and enjoy...... My system and SA WM250 subwoofer are in junkyard but still working as I have moved to more advanced setup but in future I will change speakers to Dali Zenser3 or Monitor Audio Bronze 2 and will use it in bedroom for FM and casual listening sessions. I have still kept the system only because of good sound quality, deep and powerful bass.

It's better to service the unit from authorized Sony service center to get best for your system. You may not able to connect any auxillary devices to this system as it doesn't have any input officially. Get it serviced properly and enjoy...... My system and SA WM250 subwoofer are in junkyard but still working as I have moved to more advanced setup but in future I will change speakers to Dali Zenser3 or Monitor Audio Bronze 2 and will use it in bedroom for FM and casual listening sessions. I have still kept the system only because of good sound quality, deep and powerful bass.
Will the company still accept to service a discontinued product?
What charges can I expect from them?
What if I take it back to my technician ?(who refused to believe the current low freq. problem - idk may be he's running from doing extra board level repair or some shit!) or should I DIY if possible?

You said I can "direct LFE in settings"! How on Earth is it possible?

Sony authorise service center services all Sony products purchased legally. Availability of spare parts is the main concern in this regards but Sony service center manage to procure it from different sources but you have to pay for that. Service charges depends on product to product.
In settings just select no subwoofer. System will automatically direct LFE content to main speakers.

Sony authorise service center services all Sony products purchased legally. Availability of spare parts is the main concern in this regards but Sony service center manage to procure it from different sources but you have to pay for that. Service charges depends on product to product.
In settings just select no subwoofer. System will automatically direct LFE content to main speakers.

I am ready to pay 2-3k to Sony if they're able to manage all those frequencies upto at least 30Hz via Main Speakers. I don't want anything else.
I repeat it again, there are no such options for "No Subwoofer" selection.

I am ready to pay 2-3k to Sony if they're able to manage all those frequencies upto at least 30Hz via Main Speakers. I don't want anything else.
I repeat it again, there are no such options for "No Subwoofer" selection.

Just get yourself a basic active sub and you should be good. Don't finger around too much with the old guy. Chances of ruining it further at the hands of noobs is high.

I had a Sony vx8 and that also had a sub out. The moment I connected a neighbours Polk sub, all low frequencies were automatically sent to the sub.

MaSh

Just get yourself a basic active sub and you should be good. Don't finger around too much with the old guy. Chances of ruining it further at the hands of noobs is high.

I had a Sony vx8 and that also had a sub out. The moment I connected a neighbours Polk sub, all low frequencies were automatically sent to the sub.

MaSh
I feels cornered to just one option now. Let's see how well can I increase my budget.
Can you state some nice active subs that I can get (preferably used)?

One thing more, Car Subwoofer won't work right?

I feels cornered to just one option now. Let's see how well can I increase my budget.
Can you state some nice active subs that I can get (preferably used)?

One thing more, Car Subwoofer won't work right?

If on a low budget, you can check out budget subs from Polk, pioneer, Yamaha, etc. Check out the pioneer sub I currently use, model mentioned in my signature below. It's a very nice sub for a small to medium sized room. I use it in a 16x12 room which seems just a bit large for it. If your room is smaller than this, the sub should rock.

MaSh

If on a low budget, you can check out budget subs from Polk, pioneer, Yamaha, etc. Check out the pioneer sub I currently use, model mentioned in my signature below. It's a very nice sub for a small to medium sized room. I use it in a 16x12 room which seems just a bit large for it. If your room is smaller than this, the sub should rock.

MaSh
Mine is 13x14 with 11 ft ceiling.

MaSh

Holy $hit! Rs. 14k+ and you call it a budget option?!
https://pioneer-india.in/amp/buy/ho...-theater-solutions-speakers-subwoofers/s-51w/

Well yes, I guess this sub sits almost close to the bottom of the list of proper subs. Anything below in the new sub market would be lacking in various departments. Even this sub is very good for small rooms as I mentioned, it's tight, goes quite low, specs say 20hz something*, is quick and to me sounds good for both music and movies. The only issue in my room size with the gain settings, if I go high on volume, the poor guy starts bottoming. Hence said, if in a smaller room, the gains would not be that high and the sub could sound louder and wouldn't bottom as easily.

MaSh

Well yes, I guess this sub sits almost close to the bottom of the list of proper subs. Anything below in the new sub market would be lacking in various departments. Even this sub is very good for small rooms as I mentioned, it's tight, goes quite low, specs say 20hz something*, is quick and to me sounds good for both music and movies. The only issue in my room size with the gain settings, if I go high on volume, the poor guy starts bottoming. Hence said, if in a smaller room, the gains would not be that high and the sub could sound louder and wouldn't bottom as easily.

MaSh
Can a Car Sub work with my system?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back