Looking for Active Subwoofer for Sony MHC-GNZ88D

Hmm yes it can, why not. You'll need a good AC to DC converter giving out 30amps to power a Car amplifier. If you have components readily available, it's okay, else the choice is yours.

A member @gkannan is running a similar setup.

MaSh
Aight, and I think it will totally kill my system at last if I try to use it without an ADC converter!
I don't understand one thing and may be cuz of that I'm unable to figure out something DIY or its cheaper equivalent:
Sony made the Sub optional (since it's first launch in June, 2004) which means there gotta be some scope or prospect of redirecting LFE to the main speakers w/out the use of sub. I barely listen a simple sine-based bassline in a Dubstep track at normal volumes whereas the 60-200 Hz is clearly distinguishable from the rest of the low freq. spectrum (in other words, most noticeably, the 60-80 Hz band is just so overpowerful that it buries the rest of the bassline's detail in a particular track and I honestly don't like it). Now this thought provokes me to believe that there still might be something that I could do or else at last I have to live with it unless I get a decent compatible Sub. ☹️

Check out the manual here if anyone's curious about this still-amazing Hi-Fi Entertainment Sys. (i mean c'mon! It's been probably 12+ years since it was born and it drives me crazy everytime I think of that considering the lifetimes of the modern marvels).

Aight, and I think it will totally kill my system at last if I try to use it without an ADC converter!
I don't understand one thing and may be cuz of that I'm unable to figure out something DIY or its cheaper equivalent:
Sony made the Sub optional (since it's first launch in June, 2004) which means there gotta be some scope or prospect of redirecting LFE to the main speakers w/out the use of sub. I barely listen a simple sine-based bassline in a Dubstep track at normal volumes whereas the 60-200 Hz is clearly distinguishable from the rest of the low freq. spectrum (in other words, most noticeably, the 60-80 Hz band is just so overpowerful that it buries the rest of the bassline's detail in a particular track and I honestly don't like it). Now this thought provokes me to believe that there still might be something that I could do or else at last I have to live with it unless I get a decent compatible Sub. ☹️

Check out the manual here if anyone's curious about this still-amazing Hi-Fi Entertainment Sys. (i mean c'mon! It's been probably 12+ years since it was born and it drives me crazy everytime I think of that considering the lifetimes of the modern marvels).

You absolutely have to have a AC to DC converter if you intent to use a Car Amp as they are designed to work in DC. I would advice, to drop the Car Sub route if you are not a DIY guy. Get an Active HT Sub and play it Safe and Simple.

Yes the sub is optional, cost saving or maybe all do not feel the need of a Sub. When there is no Sub all bass is directed to the front speakers and redirected automatically to the Sub when you change the Sub setting to Yes from None. Its more or less similar to how HT Receivers work.

The front speaker over emphasize the mid bass, which makes it a bit boomy, hence it starts to over power the rest of the frequencies. Adding a Sub should cure this.

The manual you have linked is the Service Manual. I have attached the User Manual below which I feel is more useful to use the system. Sony made stuff to last for ever, thats what earned them the respect of one and all, across the globe. I cannot say that for the current models they launch in India.

MaSh

Attachments

• 42484391M.pdf
    670.6 KB · Views: 3
You absolutely have to have a AC to DC converter if you intent to use a Car Amp as they are designed to work in DC. I would advice, to drop the Car Sub route if you are not a DIY guy. Get an Active HT Sub and play it Safe and Simple.

Yes the sub is optional, cost saving or maybe all do not feel the need of a Sub. When there is no Sub all bass is directed to the front speakers and redirected automatically to the Sub when you change the Sub setting to Yes from None. Its more or less similar to how HT Receivers work.

The front speaker over emphasize the mid bass, which makes it a bit boomy, hence it starts to over power the rest of the frequencies. Adding a Sub should cure this.

The manual you have linked is the Service Manual. I have attached the User Manual below which I feel is more useful to use the system. Sony made stuff to last for ever, thats what earned them the respect of one and all, across the globe. I cannot say that for the current models they launch in India.

MaSh
Now I know where is that "None" Sub setting - it was in the DVD Setup that can only be triggered from the remote (fortunately I have it but it doesn't work anymore even after changing the batteries, idk how to make it work again but I'll give it a try).
I have tweaked some things in the Main Unit itself by the technician as I've told before. Because I wanted a B/T receiver / Mp3 player integrated to the system, he (technician- Not from Sony of course) suggested me to let him disconnect and isolate the entire DVD system (because the disc-changer kept on rotating for no reason as I've mentioned earlier). And so I let him do it cuz I didn't know, at that time (pro'ly 4 years ago), that it would hamper most of the sound tweaking options! Now I'm skeptical if the DVD SETUP will get triggered from the remite anyways or not. Damn!
Now, if it's needed to enable the DVD section again to reap the benefits of the perfect sound that I want from my PC, there's still may be a chance to resurrect it completely!

Yes, the sub is always optional except some systems that came with it. I'm too using a 15 yr old sony gn100d. It's a 5.0 system with a sub pre out. I've used Polk 110 sub with it (borrowed from friend) and it was overkill for my 10×12 size room. Personally I didn't feel the need of the sub may be because of the pre defined non adjustable crossover setting. No doubt sony makes good long lasting systems but we cannot expect it to sound like professional audio systems. Now also I'm using it and it serves me well.

Yes, the sub is always optional except some systems that came with it. I'm too using a 15 yr old sony gn100d. It's a 5.0 system with a sub pre out. I've used Polk 110 sub with it (borrowed from friend) and it was overkill for my 10×12 size room. Personally I didn't feel the need of the sub may be because of the pre defined non adjustable crossover setting. No doubt sony makes good long lasting systems but we cannot expect it to sound like professional audio systems. Now also I'm using it and it serves me well.
Actually the thing is I don't have the right budget to get an equivalent Hi-Fi system or even a decently acceptable sub to hook up to this one.
In regard to previous replies, I am unable to access the "No Sub" option may be because of the DVD System Disconnection from the unit. Now only the "Direction" option works in the DVD Top Menu (which isn't accessible from the remote).
And yes guys, my remote is still working fine. But the DvD Menu still doesn't show up.

You can get it repaired from Sony service center. it'll be a paid service so get the estimate before repair, obviously that Bluetooth thing will be removed.
For Bluetooth & USB, i'm using the following setup:

1) Car G7 Bluetooth module, purchased from amazon for 400/-.car g7.jpg

2) A cheap Chinese car charger ac adapter purchased from local market for 200/-.
car charger1.jpgcar charger2.jpg

The dvd setup screen is as follows:

dvd setup1.jpgdvd setup2.jpg

For systems that comes without subwoofer, default factory setting for sub will be set as"None", you've to manually enable it. Now since your DVD setup menu is not accessible, i'll recommend you to borrow a sub, connect it and make sure its working, then only invest on a subwoofer.

You can get it repaired from Sony service center. it'll be a paid service so get the estimate before repair, obviously that Bluetooth thing will be removed.
For Bluetooth & USB, i'm using the following setup:

1) Car G7 Bluetooth module, purchased from amazon for 400/-.View attachment 27508

2) A cheap Chinese car charger ac adapter purchased from local market for 200/-.
View attachment 27509View attachment 27510

The dvd setup screen is as follows:

View attachment 27511View attachment 27512

For systems that comes without subwoofer, default factory setting for sub will be set as"None", you've to manually enable it. Now since your DVD setup menu is not accessible, i'll recommend you to borrow a sub, connect it and make sure its working, then only invest on a subwoofer.
I wanna know what the repair estimates will be. Can you give me a feasible number?

I wanna know what the repair estimates will be. Can you give me a feasible number?
Visit the Sony center. Only they can. However, be prepared to spend a bit.

I would suggest you save up and get a more modern system instead of going on tweaking with an old Sony.

MaSh

Visit the Sony center. Only they can. However, be prepared to spend a bit.

I would suggest you save up and get a more modern system instead of going on tweaking with an old Sony.

MaSh

Just give a slight thought to the massively-unbelievable price difference between repairing an old one and getting a fresh new complete package of the same caliber!

Sony will change Rs. 750/- as service charge and spares cost will be additional. Now depending upon condition of your system cost will change. When I serviced before five years, cost me about Rs. 5000/- in which they changed the optical lens, change belts of cassette deck. Few non functional buttons, certain rusty wires were replaced, Boards, jumper cleaned with rustolin etc. After inspection they will give you estimate but that will cost you Rs. 750/- as service charge.

Just give a slight thought to the massively-unbelievable price difference between repairing an old one and getting a fresh new complete package of the same caliber!
Well no one said this hobby is cheap. What drives us all is the passion. Start slowly, build your setup stage by stage. It does not happen overnight, heck it does not happen even in a year for most of us on a budget.

Many of us started from a Sony hi-fi, so we know what it's capable of and we all have Upgraded from it. Look at the for sale section, there are some nice Amps and speakers on sale. You could just pick an amp and use your current Sony speakers till you can upgrade from them. That's how I started. Used my Sony speakers with a denon receiver almost 5 years back and it's still a work in progress. That's what I love the most about this hobby.

Your Sony might be great, but it's also old and our environment takes a toll on the internals. You need to decide whether you want to go on spending on it, or save up and go to the next level. Decision is only yours.

MaSh

Well no one said this hobby is cheap. What drives us all is the passion. Start slowly, build your setup stage by stage. It does not happen overnight, heck it does not happen even in a year for most of us on a budget.

Many of us started from a Sony hi-fi, so we know what it's capable of and we all have Upgraded from it. Look at the for sale section, there are some nice Amps and speakers on sale. You could just pick an amp and use your current Sony speakers till you can upgrade from them. That's how I started. Used my Sony speakers with a denon receiver almost 5 years back and it's still a work in progress. That's what I love the most about this hobby.

Your Sony might be great, but it's also old and our environment takes a toll on the internals. You need to decide whether you want to go on spending on it, or save up and go to the next level. Decision is only yours.

MaSh
Of course, I wanna go Next-Level!
That's the sole reason I was driven to this forum.
I just want to reap the best pieces of advice outta you guys and yes it won't happen overnight I'm aware of that fact. Umm, it's kinda hard for me to convince my parents to actually replace the components or the system as a whole with a new gig. My father was along me when I got some tweaks and amendments to my system frok the repair guy and we really feel like we shoulda never let it happen. Assuming I have money to get some things of great caliber to replace the current set, I can start gradually like I can upgrade it in a few months being the least of my worries and can actually start getting dedicated components by this Fall or may be next year, idk, for this hobby on a new scale of my audio requirements, which may or may not be fully compatible with the speakers I currently have (even though the future components' specs match the speakers rated specs) but that's a discussion for some time later.

Currently, I am planning to go Full Thrust at what I have. I mean either just get the Low Fr. potential of my HCD-GN88D routed to the main speakers or at least test a sub borrowed from someone (if anyone here near my location has got one at least and Idk if someone will be willing to spare it for this experiment) ~ whichever happens to be first!
Sony will change Rs. 750/- as service charge and spares cost will be additional. Now depending upon condition of your system cost will change. When I serviced before five years, cost me about Rs. 5000/- in which they changed the optical lens, change belts of cassette deck. Few non functional buttons, certain rusty wires were replaced, Boards, jumper cleaned with rustolin etc. After inspection they will give you estimate but that will cost you Rs. 750/- as service charge.

I have noted this for reference. Thanks for sharing your experience. Should I mail or elevate a request to Sony, what do you say?

Last edited:
If you are happy with lossy decoder and not willing to move to Lossless decoder or HD av format it's better you invest good amount in your existing Sony. MHC GN88D is one of the best hifi system Sony had in past. For casual listening, it's a best option. Invest good amount in active subwoofer and you will enjoy your system for longer periods. Now everything depends upon the condition of Sony system and how service center able to service it. I have kept my system in my junkyard , will change speakers and use it as bedroom set. Waiting for good deal on bookshelf speakers from classified section. Last thing home theater movie watching experience is entirely change in last decade. You may miss current cutting edge technologies and ultimate av experience . If really want to float in current AV world, it better to declare your current system, intrest and budget so that FM can guide you accordingly. In near future you may have one of the best sounding system within you budget with limited compromises on AV front.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back