Looking for Big Bass

gaurav0999

Hi everyone, I am sure there are a lot of posts abt subwoofers but havent been able to find anything to answer my exact question.
The situation is this, my room is 25ftx20ft
i hv just bought a denon 3310, and i have my old B&W 602S3 speakers. Now, as the next step i want to add a subwoofer (later on the center and surrounds).

I am looking for really heavy and big loud bass. I guess driver size should be at least 12" (15" is better) and big wattage rating, but i hv a budget limitation of around 60k. Can it be done. Can i find really big bass for this money in india? and where? Pleasse help me...
thanks..

Hi everyone, I am sure there are a lot of posts abt subwoofers but havent been able to find anything to answer my exact question.
The situation is this, my room is 25ftx20ft
i hv just bought a denon 3310, and i have my old B&W 602S3 speakers. Now, as the next step i want to add a subwoofer (later on the center and surrounds).

I am looking for really heavy and big loud bass. I guess driver size should be at least 12" (15" is better) and big wattage rating, but i hv a budget limitation of around 60k. Can it be done. Can i find really big bass for this money in india? and where? Pleasse help me...
thanks..

you can buy vtf2mk3 for 55000 its awesome sub mine will be around 10 to 15 april and it goes down to 16hz in room response :cool:

Before you go for the big bass...is your room big enough to accommodate the big bass...or is your room treated. You get a much tighter and cleaner bass with a properly treated room...I would suggest you to consider this before going for a sub.

-Pradeep

@ AE
Love the similies we often see you quoting along the replies.

pradeep_gg : Isn't 500 Sq Ft enough to accommodate "big bass" ??

-------------------------------------------------------------

gaurav0999 : Big bass is Expensive and woofer size is not an issue. Your (20 x 25 FT) will require a high quality sub to energize that sort of size adequately. Although you mention you've Rs 60k for this, you may need more.

Look at Velodyne SPL series subs. Their smallest one, the SPL-800i should itself do it for you. Or the SPL-1000i will definitely do it for you.

These Velodynes not only does big bass but if set too hard can 'peel paint off your walls or move/drop hanging objects in the room'. They're serious stuff!!

Get in touch with:

Sunny Chibber
Acoustic Arts Pvt Ltd
E-385 Greater Kailash-II
New Delhi - 110 048

Tel: (011) 4160 3949

yeah 500 sqft is good. Sorry I did not see the room dimensions mentioned. Velodynes are awesome to my knowledge...I would also suggest taking a look at B&W as you already have them.

Thank You audio_engr.... I have been thinking about velodynes myself. Tried calling acoustic arts yesterday but guess they were shut for sunday. I actually live in GK2 myself and acoustic arts are very close to me - geographically.

One more thing, Polk Audio does a {500w 12"} woofer called DSW Pro 600 (PORT TYPE). Thats less than 30k.. Can two of these be used?

They also have a {1200w 12"} DSW MicroPro4000 (PASSIVE RADIATOR). This is around 70K

I dont actually know how good Polk audio subwoofers are.

How much are we looking at for SPL1000i?

As I said, I am just looking for a subwoofer powerful enough to give me the shakes..

Thanks again

Last edited:
I agree with you.. One, I am no enginner... Two, just dont have the time..

Tried to look into a couple a websites dealing with DIY solutions...too complicated for me...

audi_eng...Met up with Mr. Sunny day before, I agree, cool guy.. Made me hear his system...Tannoy speakers, krell power amp...It was loud and sweet...
Just gonna audition a couple of velodynes he has suggested.. SHould complete my system soon.

Thanks again

DIY?? why don't you make him one to suffice 500 Sq Ft ++ that does tight bass, goes low to 15Hz or below and stays boom-free yet is agile and flowing... and also matches the texture of his existing speaker's bass?

pal, this sort of bass is extremely hard to get it right by DIY unless you're a master at it or just hit plain fluke...

Quality bass is Expensive!

15Hz is simply a question of what SPL and what distortion at what distance, saying "extends to 15Hz" means nothing. SQ is extremely subjective and hence meaningless based on anyone's impression. Subjective terms do not help.

Why would I make him one? I have better things to do with my time (like making one for myself?), but since you suggested it perhaps you'd be kind enough to help him out.

That said I personally do not like Velodynes much, but if it suits the OP that's excellent. He asked for choices I offered one, if it doesn't sit well with you I'm afraid there is nothing I can do, regardless of your opinion it is still my own opinion. I would go DIY long before I touched a Velo.

I disagree with quality bass is expensive, depending upon how you define expensive.

Last edited:
Hi Decadent
I assume you are very much into DIY,
So you should also know its not a piece of cake and good DIY is very hard. You just wrote "Try DIY if you are wiling to" to the OP and to that audio_engr replied.
I dont he think he said anything wrong. Its a fact that they are very few who can DIY and that too make a good component
I know what Soundsgreat and auidio_engr has built and what level of quality they have achieved by themselves

without a doubt, DIY projects need a lot of technical sensibility in all probability and much more in terms of time, talent to drive the project, sources, resources and ...'time' to put it all together.

P.S:
And suno, there is no need to get temperamental. Its all about sharing views only. And while a counter suggestion did come in lieu of DIY, it should be noted that no one downlooked upon the DIY, but it only raised a concern over the expected quality viz-a-viz the needed capability to drive the DIY project with enormous skill set needed.

15Hz is simply a question of what SPL and what distortion at what distance, saying "extends to 15Hz" means nothing. SQ is extremely subjective and hence meaningless based on anyone's impression. Subjective terms do not help.

Why would I make him one? I have better things to do with my time (like making one for myself?), but since you suggested it perhaps you'd be kind enough to help him out.

That said I personally do not like Velodynes much, but if it suits the OP that's excellent. He asked for choices I offered one, if it doesn't sit well with you I'm afraid there is nothing I can do, regardless of your opinion it is still my own opinion. I would go DIY long before I touched a Velo.

I disagree with quality bass is expensive, depending upon how you define expensive.

hi Decadent_Spectre,

i cannot say anything about the velodynes because i have not heard them-

that said - i have heard at least 15 DIY subwoofer stabs-in-the-dark - and each creator felt that he had made the subwoofer to beat all commercially available subwoofers. ( in reality - there were six radiating surfaces producing distortion - including the pro driver {probably Eminence})

the truth lies somewhere in between-

here, i must say, i have heard commercially available subwoofers which are well regarded in the market - but i felt that those subwoofers did NOT integrate with the system.

of course, the best solution is to avoid using a subwoofer - but the exigencies of modern music will not allow that - we have to move with the times - and allow for modern music!

i have seen that - subwoofers cannot keep pace with well-implemented two-way speakers - and the result is a ?bastard sound

and the projection?-

you try to add a subwoofer to a good stereo system = you are asking for trouble= you are going to spend a lot of money.

well - IMO

Last edited:
Thanks all of u for the help....
May be i will also give my input and tell u all what i think...

DIY is a good approach.. but u need time, dedication, passion and most of all interest to put in an effort in making something for urself... u'll all agree bespoke work is not easy..

I dont have the skill to take up a DIY job, and i dont have time to learn the skills to do it either. Best a novice like me will do is, plagiarise somebody elses design shamelessly...

i personally want to take an easy way out and use the money to get the kinda sound i am looking for...

In the end.. as audio_eng said - to each his own.

BTW just got a definitive technology prosub 100 (10"/250w) temporarily for home demo... (its humbly priced for the sound it produces).
I guess Mr.Sunny Chibber (Velodyne) will give me a home demo tomorrow or something and i should be able to decide something... He has suggested a 15" velodyne sub with 750 watts and that is in my price range... i have a feeling that would work...

each to his own ...

Indeed.

Hi Decadent
I assume you are very much into DIY,
So you should also know its not a piece of cake and good DIY is very hard. You just wrote "Try DIY if you are wiling to" to the OP and to that audio_engr replied.
I dont he think he said anything wrong. Its a fact that they are very few who can DIY and that too make a good component
I know what Soundsgreat and auidio_engr has built and what level of quality they have achieved by themselves

DIY is like anything else, if you try you *may* fail 100% of the time, if you don't try you will fail 100% of the time. It is upto the individual whether their passion for sound is worth the time and effort. It's not a piece of cake but done right, it can be excellent.

My suggestion is very clear, DIY is an option if you are willing to do it. If you are not then that's fine. If you are its an option to consider. I see no harm in my post.

DIY is a risk, one must take it and do the best they can. Much like life. There are no guarantees, just that you put in your best.

There is good and bad DIY just like good and bad commercial subs.

So I see that Velo's aren't your cup of Tea. And wonder whether BagEnd, REL are your cup of coffee either. I guess NOT bcoZ you are into appreciation of Public Address system level gear, not home audio gear.

Good Luck!!

BagEnd is nice but overpriced (not really worth it), REL is not my cup of tea/coffee or Irish coffee if you will. Not necessarily Public Address but High SPL, Low Distortion equipment that isn't priced absurdly. It's pretty simple. Show me a low THD, high SPL home audio speaker that isn't insanely priced and I will be more than happy to take a look at it.

Good things in Life carries a healthy price tag -

they are never cheap as even the manufacturer/designer wants to have a good life...

If someone is willing to do charity - now that's another call.

I am all for ponying up the sticker price should the product in question be worth it. However I feel they are not worth it, their performance is not objectively proven. A few that might be proven may be bested or equaled by cheaper PA speakers on measurements.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back