Looking for Cheapest 120" display solution for the projector

surinder1508

Hello guys I'm planning to buy Sony vpl aw 15 720p projector n I'm looking for 120" cheapest and effective display solution for that be it a pull down screen or fixed one or DIY screen or some kind of fabric or even painting the wall itself.My room dimension is 12x17x12 (WxLxH).

So please suggest me in with minimum possible budget for now :sad: as I can upgrade later for the better solutions. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It is not a good idea to buy the projector and screen until the budget is not in order, to upgrade later one generally does not do so, in such a case one is missing the better phase of viewing etc and then imagine replacing something which is still working for upgrade sake so eventually it does increase the cost.

V.

I would agree, PJs require some forethought. Try putting it off to acquire some quality components, I've seen a few PJs and the difference is very noticeable between the budget and the better ones. Also get a good source of HD, IMO PJs are not quite worthwhile with SD, particularly at the size you mentioned.

You also need to be sure that the PJ you buy can produce a 120" image at the given distance, otherwise your image will be limited by its throw ratio and will not produce a 120" image.

Thanks Vinay for a quick response But I'm very clear n almost done on the projector OK as you said I should not go for Display in two steps still I'm looking for the 120" 16x9 cheapest and effective display solution for this projector so guys give me some solutions please.

About the budget it is only for the display and it is minimum possible say like 5K if paint job can be done or 10K if DIY or some fabric stuff or 15K for the pull down etc... So it is simple minimum possible amount for the job done which can suit me.

Viewing distance is apx 15'.

Hire a painter and go for the wall painting option for a cheap solution. go for Birla White Wall Putty - 2 layers. make sure the finish is well done and even. Use Jotun Gold white paint - 3 layers over the putty.

This will not cost you too much (must be about 2k?). you can always upgrade when the budget permits...

I would agree, PJs require some forethought. Try putting it off to acquire some quality components, I've seen a few PJs and the difference is very noticeable between the budget and the better ones. Also get a good source of HD, IMO PJs are not quite worthwhile with SD, particularly at the size you mentioned.

You also need to be sure that the PJ you buy can produce a 120" image at the given distance, otherwise your image will be limited by its throw ratio and will not produce a 120" image.

Yes I googled about my selected PJ n found it can well produce the image size of 120" and from available distance as well bit sluggish though (less brighter n needs advice on that as well if I can get brighter image somehow)

About content I have terabytes of HD/full HD content on my PC n I'm going to use my PC for input source.

Yes I googled about my selected PJ n found it can well produce the image size of 120" and from available distance as well bit sluggish though (less brighter n needs advice on that as well if I can get brighter image somehow)

About content I have terabytes of HD/full HD content on my PC n I'm going to use my PC for input source.

You can try using a high gain screen to increase brightness. Dalite offers a 2.8 gain "High Power" screen (I myself use one), but it is best used when the PJ is mounted near the seats rather than the ceiling.

Other than gain screens I would think you are out of luck unless you decided to buy a brighter PJ. In my experience a dim image takes a lot away from the experience, I recommend a demo if possible. Failing that do research it online.

A PC source is exactly what I use as well, it works splendidly with enough choices so that one can almost always find something that suits their mood which also has brilliant PQ. Please do let us know about the eventual set up.

Last edited:
Let me know if there is any improvement in brightness can be achieved somehow using paint job like some brighter white or an extra coat of paint etc..

Yes I took the demo of this PJ and found not very dull N yes I'm going to place this PJ on computer table behind the seats.

About my total ell cheapo HT room plan as of know

Room dimension 12'x17'x12'
Projector Sony vpl aw 15 720p
Display 120" most probably painted wall
Speakers ever existing Logitech Z5500
Input source PC with 3TB storage space
Video up scaling XFX GTX260 core 216 BE in PC
Audio possessor CREATIVE X-FI XTREME GAMER in PC

Things will change gradually though like I have Polk DSW pro 600 going to have Warf set of speakers very soon so on n on

The highly reflective gain screens often use silver material, you could try and experiment with different kinds of silver paint although I can't say I have seen this done before.

While a little expensive the Dalite HP screen will suit you well.

The highly reflective gain screens often use silver material, you could try and experiment with different kinds of silver paint although I can't say I have seen this done before.

While a little expensive the Dalite HP screen will suit you well.

So how much for the 120" Dalite HP screen or any other cheap n suitable screen with high gain?

Last edited:
Guys yes I do know I have to upgrade many things but can I leave video up-scaling job for my XFX GTX260 core 216 BE (spatially when video source is going to be the same PC) n save money with non video upscaler AVR like Denon 1610 or if AVR like Denon 1910 or anything else around 30K will upscale better then my existing video card then I have to consider a video upscaler AVR cause I'm going to use it for more then 70% of times for HD/full HD videos.

One more thing as my projector is going to be 720P is that means my system will be bottle-necked by it to upscale SD and HD to up to 720P and even downscale full HD videos (1080P) to down to 720P.

Hi.
If u want the cheapest screen , u can use fabric, buy the curtain backing material in the required size and have it stretched over a frame.

Second option is vinyl, u know the material used for printing all those colorfull banners. u will need a frame for both.

Also I would recommend a thin plywood sheet backing painted with blackboard black paint to get the best picture.

Believe me u will get great PQ with both the above options.

But in my opinion the Best option for a screen is the Laminate screen. In a dedicated Home Theater room where the amount of ambient light is controlled, u basically need a 0 gain screen. And a laminate screen painted with any good emulsion paint will give u a GREAT IMAGE.

I know because I have been using one for more than 2 yrs.

I wouldnt recommend a wall because, it will definitely develop fine cracks after a time.

giddavr

Cheapest? get the wall finished (levelled) using gypsum board+POP, couple of layers of putty + good smooth finish paint (Asian Paint will do). Including gypsum board + POP should not cost more that couple of grands. I have a 14.5'x8' wall done up this way and almost 135" screen area, looks great!
-Manish

Cheapest? get the wall finished (levelled) using gypsum board+POP, couple of layers of putty + good smooth finish paint (Asian Paint will do). Including gypsum board + POP should not cost more that couple of grands. I have a 14.5'x8' wall done up this way and almost 135" screen area, looks great!
-Manish

yes. Gypsum Board wood do the job if u can get the surface done correctly.

gvr

Can I use a white glossy sunmica sheet glued on ply board instead as it should not require any paint job and surface should be as smooth as it can be.

-Manish
Thats great Manish, could you please post some pics?. Would like to see how the finished surface is. Also a pic with a movie being played..Thanks

Cheapest solution for DIY Projector Screen,

Get Blackout screen which is available in furnishing strore , reeper wood from packing store and binding clips from stationary with this meterial we can make good screen.

Blackout Screen : 275 Rs /Mtr
Reeper Wood : 200 RS
Binding Clips : 100 Rs

With spending around 1000 rs we can get decent screen.We can spend amall effort to make frame and with the use of binding clip we can fix the screen.

Can I use a white glossy sunmica sheet glued on ply board instead as it should not require any paint job and surface should be as smooth as it can be.

NO. u cant use a glossy laminate because u will get a very bright hotspot at the center. and a matte surface is better for a unity gain screen.

giddavr

hello,

I recently purchased glass beaded instalock 7ft x 5ft 16:9 screen Make : Braun for Optoma HD70 PJ, for Rs 8500-00 only from a local dealer here in chandigarh.
you can't get any other branded screen for this amount i guess.

You can get it from here IMAGEPRO PVT. LTD.,
IMAGE PRO PVT. LTD.,
1-2-9/D, Sardar Patel Road, Secunderabad - 500 003
Andhra Pradesh, INDIA.
Phone : +91 -40 - 27811032, 27814347, 27814365,
Fax : +91- 40 - 27840279
Url : www.imageproindia.com
Email : [email protected]
tf.jpg

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back