Looking for speaker ideas for a 7.1 system to pair with Denon 2310 AVR

john_k_antony

Dear All,

I am planning to upgrade my 5.1 system to a 7.1 system. Right now the 5.1 is setup in my apartment Living room that is 18x12. I will be soon moving to my new house where I have a dedicated HT room of 24x15.5 with proper acoustics done. It will take another 5-6 months. But I just wanted to start a research on getting a good speaker package.

My current setup is.

AVR - Denon 2310
Fronts - Kef Q7
Center - Kef Q60c
Rear - Jamo s416
Sub - Onkyo 3400 HTIB sub
Player - Sony BDP (I already bought Oppo-93 as my BluRay player for the new setup.)

Well its a mix and match and I think I am having the following issues with the current setup.

1. Though the fronts and center are from KEF, I dont think they are properly timbre matched. Because the version is different and KEF change the speaker technology drastically in every version upgrade.
2. I feel my center speaker sounds very "thin". I am not very happy with the center speaker mid range performance. Its not "weighted" enough.
3. My front speakers - Kef Q7 are very bass shy. So when I watch bollywood movies with good music, I don't get a satisfying music performance from them.
4. I would like to change my rears to dipole for a better wide spread surround sound.
5. The Subwoofer is not powerful enough.
6. The Kefs sound very bright and sharp with Denon.

Now I wanted to buy a 7.1 package that is from the same brand and preferably the same model. I am okay with getting the SubWoofer from a different company.

My budget is around 1.5L for 7.1 package. And I am looking for speaker options to go well with Denon 2310 AVR. I am looking for a setup that is not very bright as KEFs. I would also like to have my fronts to be "musical" as we watch lots of Bollywood and south indian movies with lots of songs :). Also a great center channel that delivers clear and precise mid range.

I can stretch my budget to 2L max if I get a package that is well worth the price.

TIA.

John.

for 1912 i paired tannoy mercury & velodyne eqmax, combnations are really good. I would suggest you to audition tannoy revolution & Velodyne combo.

other options are

klipsch RF series (paired with marantz, hope it should go well with denon)
MS Avaino

Hi John,

1) I find it unusual you say the Q7 are bass shy. I also have Q7 and they seem to be adequate in terms of bass and quite musical. (maybe our tastes are different?)
2) Also check with a different AVR like a more powerful denon in the 3 or 4 series (mine is AVR 3803), or another company's more powerful AVR, it might make a difference.
3) As far as speaker timbre matching goes, it is best to get the same company as well as the same series to have voice matching. My rears are Q5 and centre Q9c but I dont have a subwoofer.

Just my two bits.

Vinod

I think your denon 3 is doing the magic. I don't want to change the AVR now. I do get some bass from q7 if change the tone settings on avr. But while turning the tone makes it more artificial sounding.

John.

for 1912 i paired tannoy mercury & velodyne eqmax, combnations are really good. I would suggest you to audition tannoy revolution & Velodyne combo.

other options are

klipsch RF series (paired with marantz, hope it should go well with denon)
MS Avaino

I am considering eqmax 12 for sub. Where did u audition tannoy in Bangalore?

Hi John,

Just for your information my AVR 3803 tone is set to +4 and bass to +2. When I listen to music anyway I run it on pure direct mode which sounds the best when completely flat!

I still feel that your AVR is not providing enough juice to your speakers. So I would still say try another AVR before you decide.

Hey Guys,

I was thinking about the following 7.1 speaker setup to pair with Denon 2310 for movies.

Front : Kef Q700
Center : Kef Q600c
Surround : Kef Q800ds (Diapole)
Rear : Kef Q100
Sub : Polk DSW 660

The total cost would be around 2.5L. I am planning to sell my Kef Q7 pair and Kef Q60c if I go with the above config.

What do you guys think?

-John.

Dear All,

I am planning to upgrade my 5.1 system to a 7.1 system. Right now the 5.1 is setup in my apartment Living room that is 18x12. I will be soon moving to my new house where I have a dedicated HT room of 24x15.5 with proper acoustics done. It will take another 5-6 months. But I just wanted to start a research on getting a good speaker package.

My current setup is.

AVR - Denon 2310
Fronts - Kef Q7
Center - Kef Q60c
Rear - Jamo s416
Sub - Onkyo 3400 HTIB sub
Player - Sony BDP (I already bought Oppo-93 as my BluRay player for the new setup.)

Well its a mix and match and I think I am having the following issues with the current setup.

1. Though the fronts and center are from KEF, I dont think they are properly timbre matched. Because the version is different and KEF change the speaker technology drastically in every version upgrade.
2. I feel my center speaker sounds very "thin". I am not very happy with the center speaker mid range performance. Its not "weighted" enough.
3. My front speakers - Kef Q7 are very bass shy. So when I watch bollywood movies with good music, I don't get a satisfying music performance from them.
4. I would like to change my rears to dipole for a better wide spread surround sound.
5. The Subwoofer is not powerful enough.
6. The Kefs sound very bright and sharp with Denon.

Now I wanted to buy a 7.1 package that is from the same brand and preferably the same model. I am okay with getting the SubWoofer from a different company.

My budget is around 1.5L for 7.1 package. And I am looking for speaker options to go well with Denon 2310 AVR. I am looking for a setup that is not very bright as KEFs. I would also like to have my fronts to be "musical" as we watch lots of Bollywood and south indian movies with lots of songs :). Also a great center channel that delivers clear and precise mid range.

I can stretch my budget to 2L max if I get a package that is well worth the price.

TIA.

John.
Have you ever considered Genelec's Of Finland?Crafted and imported directly from finland.Outstanding set of Active loudspeakers.Ideal for home theater's or just plain Audio.If interested lemme know,I could send over more details.Thanks

Dear All,

TIA.John.

Try auditioning Sonodyne Avant Range. They are diecast Aluminium speakers & Sonodyne's reference model for Home Audio. I had been trying to read about Aluminium speakers & found that they are the BEST material for speakers than wood.

Sonodyne listening room in Bangalore must have Avant range for audition / on display.

Sonodyne Avant 345 FS (Around 70K), Avant LCR 250 center channel (16K), Avant 150 BS (20K) & Sonodyne Studio Monitor series SLF200/210 would be around 25K. Audition & let us know your feedback. Atleast i would be a prospective buyer of Avant 345.

I will sure audition sonodyne system. I assume they are good match for Denon AVR. The issue is the sonodyne audition rooms use sonodyne amps. I may have to take my AVR with me when I go for audition to check the match!.

I will sure audition sonodyne system. I assume they are good match for Denon AVR. The issue is the sonodyne audition rooms use sonodyne amps. I may have to take my AVR with me when I go for audition to check the match!.

I don't think the sonodyne listening rooms have their amps. They have been discontinued long time and i think they should be using receiver. Just call their listening room & enquire abt the receiver they have for demo before you go for audition & that will give you a fair idea for you planning.

Sonodyne contact and price list in dec 2011.

Adarsh S R
Sonodyne Electronics Co. Pvt.Ltd
# 28, 1st floor SGN Layout 1st Cross Lalbagh Road, Bangalore 560027
Handheld +91 9844720900 l Listening Room- 41573293 l Fax-+9180 22106429
Mail Us [email protected]

Model Brief Description MRP (all inc)
ebs 200 b Sound isolation earphone (black) 2600
Sn 24 b Headphones (black) 4650
idock mp3 player dock with cables and USB charger 2150
Pqube 2.1 active speaker system with MDI 15950
ExBar 300 b Active soundbar 30" (black) 25750
ExBar 400 b Active soundbar 40" (black) 30900
Genie 1 (White) Aluminum die cast micro monitor (white) inc bracket 3750
Genie 1 (Black) Aluminum die cast micro monitor (black) inc bracket 3750
Genie 1 (Silver) Aluminum die cast micro monitor (silver) inc bracket 3750
Genie 2 v2 (black) Aluminum extruded mini monitor (black) inc bracket 6450
Genie 2 C (black) Aluminum extruded mini monitor: centre speaker (black) inc bracket 6450
Genie 3 Aluminum extruded tower speaker (black) 9800
Sonus 2605 v2 3 way tower speaker 13900
Sonus C 2401v 2 centre speaker (shielded) 6200
Sonus 2504 2 way tower speaker 9900
Sonus Rears v 2 Dipole surround speaker 6450
Sonus 1501 v2 2 way bookshelf speaker 5650
Avant 150 Aluminum extruded compact monitor 9600
Avant LCR250 Aluminum extruded compact monitor (centre and main channels) 15450
Avant 345 Aluminum extruded tower speaker 33500
Roarr 108 Front firing powered subwoofer-100 watt 15000
Roarr 210 Front firing powered subwoofer- 150 watt 18700
SiA 310 logic controlled stereo intgerated amplifier; 70 + 70 watt 12000
SiA 320 logic controlled stereo intgerated amplifier; 100 + 100 watt 15500
SPA202/204 dual channel power amp (200 + 200 watt) 26250
MPA 6150 6 channel power amp (125 watt x 6) 36550

Hi,

I really appreciate all the inputs that the members have been sharing. I'm still few days old in the forum...which I feel I have been really lucky to have found...right in the middle of realizing my HT dream. My current list has the pioneer vsx922 and the sonodyne sonus 2605 with roar 210 sub, the rear dypole and the center sonus 2401. the auditioning was very good as i intend to use the set for movies and a lot of music. Wanted to check wit kittu and other members their opinion on the speaker units and the paired pioneer av. Would also like to add that I had short listed the tw6000 projector from Epson but just got to know that the newer 6100 with higher lumens is coming up in a few days....incase any member is going for the projector rt now....would be good to wait.

Thanks,
Sid

Just A suggestion when you are looking in for speakers for a dedicated room. since your room size is 24x15.5 assuming you wil be seating at a distance of 24. if you retain the current amplifier 2310( states 105 watts ) but i am not sure whether the denon delivers 105 watts when all channels are running. if you go for a speakers with atleast 88db sensitivity, then you would need minimum 40 watts of amplifier power to reach 90db at your seating position. current speakers available in the market are inther range of 88-91 db. so i advise you to audition the fidilety/timbre match etc when you go for auditioning. and check whats the sesitivity of the speakers from the manual or the net before finalizing the speakers.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back