Looking for suggestion on power cleaning

ajeetk

Hi FMs,

I am looing for what should I put in my chain to clean the power and prevent from surge and noise.

I have currently as main -> Vertex Servo 5Kv stab -> AVR.

Not sure if the stab protects from surge? Do I need to put anything between stab and AVR?
The Belkin surge protector from Amazon does not seem to be doing good job as per review.

Please let me know with you experience that what should be the correct choice and link of product if you can share please.
My budget is not very high, kind of looking below 20-30k. you can please suggest higher option too if possible as a second option too.

BTW I leave in society with 2000+ families.. :(

@sydney i am looking for a good surge protector too.
Grateful for your impressions on this device if you have used it.
Im using it for the last 6 months for surge protection. It uses non-sacrificial mode. Before that i used Soundfoundations.
if its effective i dont know but i never had any issues given that there are a lot of power supply problems where i live in Bangalore

Im using it for the last 6 months for surge protection. It uses non-sacrificial mode. Before that i used Soundfoundations.
if its effective i dont know but i never had any issues given that there are a lot of power supply problems where i live in Bangalore
Thanks. My knowledge of the technology in surge protection is less than low. Apologies for asking this, but What is non sacrificial?
I have this wooden box with six plug points from sound foundations, other than providing multiple plug sockets I have no idea what it does.
But in spite of the house being wired through a UPS, I occasionally have the amp switching off and on.
I recently also had a burnt power supply section in my Bluesound node 2. (It’s bricked)
I am looking for a way to safeguard my equipment from electrical surges and sudden cutouts.
I think the OP may also have similar concerns? Clean power would be a bonus.
Advice and guidance on this would be fantastic.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• AE35ABF4-47A4-44A7-8284-B810FA5802EE.jpeg
    AE35ABF4-47A4-44A7-8284-B810FA5802EE.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 47
Thanks. My knowledge of the technology in surge protection is less than low. Apologies for asking this, but What is non sacrificial?
I have this wooden box with six plug points from sound foundations, other than providing multiple plug sockets I have no idea what it does.
But in spite of the house being wired through a UPS, I occasionally have the amp switching off and on.
I recently also had a burnt power supply section in my Bluesound node 2. (It’s bricked)
I am looking for a way to safeguard my equipment from electrical surges and sudden cutouts.
I think the OP may also have similar concerns? Clean power would be a bonus.
Advice and guidance on this would be fantastic.
Thanks in advance
I was thinking for this box only, is it not working as per expectation? Just wanted to know the reason why you want to move, I will plan my purchase accordingly.

I was thinking for this box only, is it not working as per expectation? Just wanted to know the reason why you want to move, I will plan my purchase accordingly.
As I mentioned even when connected to this box (from ups) my amp shuts and starts. I assume this is when the mains power cuts and UPS switches on. But the Bluesound node 2 burnt out when connected to this box. I am assuming it was a power fluctuation or surge. I am experiencing some free floating anxiety since this event and would like to be rid of this unpleasant sensation.

As for this box, I am not sure what it does other than provide more sockets. I have not opened it as I would not be able to make sense of any circuits inside. Hopefully some FM with knowledge has done a tear down of this box and can explain.

Let us wait for @sydney and others who know more on the topic to advise

As I mentioned even when connected to this box (from ups) my amp shuts and starts. I assume this is when the mains power cuts and UPS switches on. But the Bluesound node 2 burnt out when connected to this box. I am assuming it was a power fluctuation or surge. I am experiencing some free floating anxiety since this event and would like to be rid of this unpleasant sensation.

As for this box, I am not sure what it does other than provide more sockets. I have not opened it as I would not be able to make sense of any circuits inside. Hopefully some FM with knowledge has done a tear down of this box and can explain.

Let us wait for @sydney and others who know more on the topic to advise
Thats bad to hear about your Bluesound.. Yeah lets wait for more inputs too.

I put all equipment that I use - stereo in my office and HT in the living room on a dedicated 2 KVA inverter in online UPS mode that is wired to the main board. I never use both together so never enough load. Also electricity cuts are rare, so it is more for continuous power conditioning rather than backup. I know it is always suggested against, but I have no issues regarding the fluctuations and such, however my system in the bedroom - experiences regular issues that is not on the UPS.

If anyone remembers here - I had mentioned a friend of mine who was having HT issues with Denon losing signal etc. he changed the HDMI cables and it took care of a few issues but a few issues came back after a week or so, so I suggested to put it on a UPS and he has been having no issues since almost a month now.

I put all equipment that I use - stereo in my office and HT in the living room on a dedicated 2 KVA inverter in online UPS mode that is wired to the main board. I never use both together so never enough load. Also electricity cuts are rare, so it is more for continuous power conditioning rather than backup. I know it is always suggested against, but I have no issues regarding the fluctuations and such, however my system in the bedroom - experiences regular issues that is not on the UPS.

If anyone remembers here - I had mentioned a friend of mine who was having HT issues with Denon losing signal etc. he changed the HDMI cables and it took care of a few issues but a few issues came back after a week or so, so I suggested to put it on a UPS and he has been having no issues since almost a month now.

Chander, can you please post the link of Online UPS you are using? Also no stabilizer? is it good to put it like Mains -> Servo stab(5kv) -> online ups 2 kv?

I will have to check as it is inaccessible - it is a SuKam solar capable inverter and that is what I remember. It is inside an area inside a small store room, so please give me some time to move things about - generally I just go through this exercise to just top up water in the batteries every 6 months or so.

I am no electrical genius, I was suggested almost a decade ago, by a very experienced audiophile to put it all on an inverter and I have always had them so since. Also there was post a decade or so ago on HFV, which conveyed something similar. As I live in rented houses, servos etc are generally a very painful thing to move around and install every-time I move. So I go with the most convenient setup.

I did some research on some forums etc and went to the my inverter guy and explained what the need is. He explained the inverter he is giving me and the mode he is going to put it on will be always directly supplying the power from the battery instead of a line passthrough, hence the power will always be a kind of static voltage and that is that :) Sorry I am a bit of dud when it comes to these things.

I will have to check as it is inaccessible - it is a SuKam solar capable inverter and that is what I remember. It is inside an area inside a small store room, so please give me some time to move things about - generally I just go through this exercise to just top up water in the batteries every 6 months or so.

I am no electrical genius, I was suggested almost a decade ago, by a very experienced audiophile to put it all on an inverter and I have always had them so since. Also there was post a decade or so ago on HFV, which conveyed something similar. As I live in rented houses, servos etc are generally a very painful thing to move around and install every-time I move. So I go with the most convenient setup.

I did some research on some forums etc and went to the my inverter guy and explained what the need is. He explained the inverter he is giving me and the mode he is going to put it on will be always directly supplying the power from the battery instead of a line passthrough, hence the power will always be a kind of static voltage and that is that :) Sorry I am a bit of dud when it comes to these things.
Sure no problem.. me too probably at same level :p

Search for Surge Protection Devices. They have a hierarchy with Type 1 or 2 being installed at the main board, depending on whether you have a lightning protection system installed or not. And then Type 3 being installed at the specific plug points. A lot of companies make them including Hager, Schneider and even Havells. I have gone with Citel as it is their specialization. You can check out their website. Also you can go with a dedicated UPS/inverter but it is still a good idea to go with these SPDs as they aren't very expensive.
Some links for you to read -
https://www.electrical-installation.org/enwiki/The_Surge_Protection_Device_(SPD)

Products I have gone with -
https://citel.in/en/ac-power/type-2-ac-surge-protector/dac50s-11-275 - This is for single phase power supply and installed at the main board.
https://citel.in/en/ac-power/hard-wired-ac-surge-protector/msb6-400 - This will be installed at every plug point which needs surge protection.
All these work on the principle of diverting the surge via the earth wire apart from having a few sacrificial elements so you need to have proper earthing of your house.

... always directly supplying the power from the battery instead of a line passthrough,
Well, using an online UPS/Inverter is a better solution because the battery will absorb all the spikes and provide clean power. However, the inverter switching time is greater than UPS.

All these work on the principle of diverting the surge via the earth wire apart from having a few sacrificial elements so you need to have proper earthing of your house.
This is on the assumption that "If" the main surge protector fails, the individual one will sacrifice itself, burnout, allow the ground connection to send the surge. Most of these surge protectors are flimsy, based on foreign power supplies and "never tested nor modified" for Indian conditions.

P.S.
Please open your CVT/Servo and ensure the earth point is utilised, that is connected to chassis etc as most companies do provide a 3-pin input plug/screw-sockets but on the inside, its a different story.

Sacrificial surge protectors use MOV which last for around 2-3 surge hits as their effectiveness reduces with every surge they absorb.

MOV?
question: how will I know the MOV has suffered 3 surges?
Are such impacted MOVs user replaceable?

This is on the assumption that "If" the main surge protector fails, the individual one will sacrifice itself, burnout, allow the ground connection to send the surge. Most of these surge protectors are flimsy, based on foreign power supplies and "never tested nor modified" for Indian conditions.

Are you saying these won't work. Even the Type 1+2 ones installed at the main breaker. Or are you talking about the Type 3 ones installed at the plug points. Also, these 'Indian conditions' that you refer to, is this referring to our shoddy wiring and earthing in general.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back