Looking for UPS for HT, Plasma & PC + monitor

AMITNOIDA

Presently I am using an APC Back UPS 1000 for my PC + monitor (BenQ 22") and an ordinary Bluebird Voltage stabiliser for my 42" Pana Plasma + HT with Marantz 6004 AVR and Oppo BDP.

I want to replace the Bluebird Stabiliser with an UPS.

I have following questions:

1) Whether to purchase an Offline UPS like my APC Back UPS of required duty or to go for an online UPS?
2) What would be the UPS capacity? The power loads are as follows:
i) Plasma - 350 W
ii) Marantz AVR 6004 - may be 750 W
iii) Oppo BDP - No idea
3) Whether it makes sense to go for a common UPS for my HT system and PC + monitor?

Suggestions are welcome.

Regards

Amit

Last edited:
Amitji

far I understand you have quoted the maximum power ratings of the plasma and receiver. The oppo will require around 50watts max. Well for most of the time both the plasma and receiver will run at around 50-80% of the max quoted power therefore take a decision about the capacity taking all these into account.

Well I think that you should go for an ups I in fact an considering the 1500 va one by assoc preferably the smart ups

Thanks Dillihifi for your reply.
Yes, I have considered the max power rating. I think max load are to be considered while working out the capacity of UPS. This will keep some safety factor.

2 KVA UPS corresponds to around 1400 W, if I am not wrong. I think that 2 KVA would be safe for my HT set-up.

But which model an Off-line UPS or On-line UPS? I prefer an UPS which does not have any fan noise.

Any suggestion?

I would suggest apc smart ups of 2 or 1.5 kva rating. Well I still think that one should invest in a ups that has at least a sine wave output which will help these equipment in the long run. Anybody of our forum members who are in the know may like to chip in with their suggestions. Well I am planning to connect the plasma to the surge protected outlets off the ups and the bd player and the receiver to the ups supply. I think the tv has a higher voltage input range mine is from 100-250 volts and has an smps so am currently thinking about an 1.5kva one.

Presently I am using an APC Back UPS 1000 for my PC + monitor (BenQ 22") and an ordinary Bluebird Voltage stabiliser for my 42" Pana Plasma + HT with Marantz 6004 AVR and Oppo BDP.

I want to replace the Bluebird Stabiliser with an UPS.

I have following questions:

1) Whether to purchase an Offline UPS like my APC Back UPS of required duty or to go for an online UPS?
2) What would be the UPS capacity? The power loads are as follows:
i) Plasma - 350 W
ii) Marantz AVR 6004 - may be 750 W
iii) Oppo BDP - No idea
3) Whether it makes sense to go for a common UPS for my HT system and PC + monitor?

Suggestions are welcome.

Regards

Amit

You sure you wanna use your avr with a ups? When I bought my avr, it came with a sticker on top from profx that warranty would be voided of the avr is used with a ups our generator

Still if you wanna go ahead with it, go for a sine wave ups

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

go for sine wave ups...or it is called home ups..like this..
APC Home UPS 850VA Sine Wave BI850SINE-IN with 2 Years Warranty & Bill | eBay

pls nono for normal ups...thats even bad for pc...but its the smps in between so we dont care that much...

imo a voltage stab and belkin glod series(costliest one from belkin) surge protector is good enough...ups not reqd..btw a monster brand surge protector is being sold at avenue sound at only 4k...mrp 8k...

go for sine wave ups...or it is called home ups..like this..
APC Home UPS 850VA Sine Wave BI850SINE-IN with 2 Years Warranty & Bill | eBay

pls nono for normal ups...thats even bad for pc...but its the smps in between so we dont care that much...

imo a voltage stab and belkin glod series(costliest one from belkin) surge protector is good enough...ups not reqd..btw a monster brand surge protector is being sold at avenue sound at only 4k...mrp 8k...

Thanks Prosenjit for your reply.
Although some AVR company discourage to use any UPS or Genset, but as you have pointed out, a pure sine-wave UPS may be a possibility. But does this sine-wave UPS make any fan or humming noise?
Also, they come in lower VA models of <=1000 VA only (APC Brand).

Another option you have suggested is Voltage stabiliser plus Belkin Gold Series Surge Protector. No doubt, this is economical option. But do they perform equal to a Sine wave UPS? Also, among the voltage stabilisers are there any recommended brands?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back