LP player/Turntable in Bangalore(where can I purchase?)

Chet Baker

Hi All,

I've been wanting to purchase an LP player in Bangalore for quite sometime. I found out that Reliance Time Out used to keep them. I tried their numbers(Cunningham road), but no one's answering the phone. I read in some other threads that most of the Time Out stores have been shut.

I also found out Landmark stores have Lenco Turntables with them. (I saw a few in Hyderabad a couple of months back). But the stores in Bangalore(Forum mall) don't have them in stock and they won't be able to get them for another month at the very least.

Are there any shops in Bangalore you can suggest where I can get the players? I'm planning to purchase the player this weekend before I go ahead and blow my money on beer. :lol:

My budget is around 15k(max), and the two players I've shortlisted are:

Denon DP29F Mini Turntable
Lenco 3867/3866 USB(I can't recall which one) :confused:

The only other option I see now is to order the Denon DP29F Mini Turntable from Amazon, which I'm not keen on doing.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Probably the most repeated advice on this forum. But I'd say wait around for a good vintage TT. The Lenco is junk and P-29 just about passable. You should be able to get better vintage ones on olx and stuff, or on this forum itself. Till then, resist the beer temptation! :lol:

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies.

I'm now quite interested in considering the Kenwood KD-36R, the olx ad you just posted. Although I'm wary about buying second hand/used player, esp since I'm a complete newbie, this does fit very well within my budget.

Would you both still recommend this Kenwood player to the Lenco and Denon models I mentioned in my previous post?

Last edited:
It's a little difficult to make out from the pics posted on olx, but it does not look like the Kenwood is a standard mount TT - probably a fixed cartridge type which can't be changed. You may have issues getting spare styli for this.

The AKAI looks like it might be a standard mount, but again, can't be sure from these pics. Google around and see if you can find out.

Nothing better if you find a direct drive Technics in decent condition. Should cost you in the range of 7-10K.
It will be within your budget including a decent new cartridge either from Audio Technica or Shure.

The best thing is that if you manage to find a good vintage player in decent condition, you will not feel the need to upgrade soon. In case of the plasticky players like the Lenco & Denon you were looking for, you will grow out of them pretty soon.

Trust this helps.

Regards,
Saket

PS: And as Sughosh mentioned, look for 1/2 inch standard mount on tonearms. That gives you plenty of options and flexibility against P mounts and fixed styli configurations.

Last edited:
Hi Chet,

Hang on to this forum for some time. There are people like "Kurvilla sir" or Shafic who are vinyl experts. Take their advice seriously and you will not regret it.

Vinod

Hi friends,
I am just a vinyls enthusiast not an expert. I am still a student,compared to the "MASTERS" like 'Kuruvilla sir' and some others.
regards,
shafic

i second to what FMs are saying. Go for an used one. I got myself an used sony DD TT from Kuruvilla Sir at a good price. he has quite no. of good ones with him, talk to him.
cheers,
abhraneel

I do have some good vintage TTs fully refurbished for sale. They include a Direct Drive fully automatic JVC ideal for a newbee till he gets the feel of handling Turntables.

All the best for the search.
Someone I know was selling a Philips TT for 3.5k recently. Don't know if it is still available.
If going for vintage ones, I agree its a good option to go to Kuruvila sir or Shafic. See hifiads.com and For sale by owner sub-forum too for other options.
Audiodynamics, Koramangala keeps turntables from various brands but they will probably exceed your budget. Many will swear by sound signatures of the vintage ones but ultimately let your own ears decide.
I have not heard good reviews of the starting level Denons which you are probably getting from Pro-fx.
Note that you may need to spend extra for other components like phono stage, amplifiers, cables etc.
What setup do you have currently?

Last edited:
Even i vote for a vintage TT. However go for a vintage TT which has been recently serviced properly. Otherwise you might start facing problems with them later on.

If you're looking for only brand new TTs, then I think you should go with Pro-Ject Essential II. Its the best 'new' entry level TT available today. It's available at Audio Planet, Koramangala, Bangalore for 21k. Don't buy those cheap Denon, Lenco plastic USB TTs available today.

Turntables

Still..This can't beat a decent vintage TT in good condition!

Thank you all for your posts.

Given that I'm a complete newbie and that I was on a tight budget and that I also had to buy a home theatre system(I got Onkyo 3500) along with the TT, I went against all your advice and bought a Lenco turntable(for 9.5k) from Calypso, Jayanagar.

The idea is that if my interest in collecting and listening to vinyls persists, I'll probably go for an upgrade in 2-3 years time. By then I also hope to increase my knowledge on how TT and music systems in general work.

I do have some good vintage TTs fully refurbished for sale. They include a Direct Drive fully automatic JVC ideal for a newbee till he gets the feel of handling Turntables.

I'm afraid I saw your post a little too late Mr. Kuruvilla. But thank you for your post and you'll be first one I'd get in touch with when I'm ready for an upgrade. :)

All the best for the search.
Someone I know was selling a Philips TT for 3.5k recently. Don't know if it is still available.
If going for vintage ones, I agree its a good option to go to Kuruvila sir or Shafic. See hifiads.com and For sale by owner sub-forum too for other options.
Audiodynamics, Koramangala keeps turntables from various brands but they will probably exceed your budget. Many will swear by sound signatures of the vintage ones but ultimately let your own ears decide.
I have not heard good reviews of the starting level Denons which you are probably getting from Pro-fx.
Note that you may need to spend extra for other components like phono stage, amplifiers, cables etc.
What setup do you have currently?

I did go to the ProFX shop to check out their Denon home theatre systems. They have the low end Denon TT which is available for 13.5k-14k. The same is available on Amazon for around 12k.

Even i vote for a vintage TT. However go for a vintage TT which has been recently serviced properly. Otherwise you might start facing problems with them later on.

If you're looking for only brand new TTs, then I think you should go with Pro-Ject Essential II. Its the best 'new' entry level TT available today. It's available at Audio Planet, Koramangala, Bangalore for 21k. Don't buy those cheap Denon, Lenco plastic USB TTs available today.

Turntables

Still..This can't beat a decent vintage TT in good condition!

I was apprehensive about going for a vintage TT since I have no absolutely no idea about TTs and what to watch out for before purchasing them. I'll revisit this in 2-3 years time and by then I'd hopefully have saved some money to go for a good vintage TT. :)

Chet, if you haven't already bought a TT, I would humbly suggest you take the route of buying a new TT and begin enjoying the pleasures of vinyl playback immediately (without worrying about servicing/repairing any old kit)

Try Audio Planet for one of their Project TT's

Happy listening !!!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back