Lyrita audio's new GM70 SET Amp

Yes- wanted to know what the components are- i.e. what gauge wire, what termination (WBT, Eichmann etc.) and so on. Thought pics would be the quickest way to find out, but if you have the info, that would be useful too:)!

Best person would be Viren himself. Frankly, I never bothered to find out the technical details regarding the interconnects and speaker cables. I have been using them for the past 3 years or so and am very happy with them. I definitely heard a vast improvement from my previous interconnects (Bandridge). You can call Viren up (his phone no is given in the Lyrita website), and speak to him. He is always helpful and ready to give you an honest opinion.

My setup tilts slightly towards the warm side, so I have never felt the lyrita as being bright for me. But others who have compared with various other interconnect cables do feel that the Lyrita interconnects are on the brighter side.

The most recent lyrita IC I've seen used MX terminations.
http://mx.tradeindia.com/mx-rca-connector-gold-plated--797041.html
This one
MX-RCA-CONNECTOR-GOLD-PLATED-.jpg

Yes. those are the terminators used in the Lyrita interconnect that I have.

Word of caution, the lyrita IC leans towards the brighter side. I recommend it for setups which lean towards the warm/laid back side.

Hi CorElement,

Slightly OT, but can you list a couple of sanely priced (say < Rs 2-3 K) interconnects that can be considered neutral or warm. Wanted to experiment with some interconnects without breaking the bank!

Thanks,
APK

I can't suggest any particular brand or model or price but I can tell you what to look for, regardless of price.

For brighter sound look for one or more of these
- Silver based cable (significant factor to establish brighter sound)
- Multi-strand cable (significant factor to establish brighter sound)
- Regular termination
- WBT nextgen termination
- Silver based termination
- low capacitance

Here's what a cable with the above configuration can look like
vh_audio_spectrum.jpg

For darker sound look for one or more of these
- Copper based cable (significant factor to establish dark sound)
- single core cable in hyperlitz configuration (3 solid cores twisted around each other)
- Eichmann / ETI Bullet termination (Most significant factor to establish dark sound)
- Copper based termination
- Very low capacitance

9mMP3.jpg

Last edited:
I can't suggest any particular brand or model or price but I can tell you what to look for, regardless of price.

For brighter sound look for one or more of these
- Silver based cable (significant factor to establish brighter sound)
- Multi-strand cable (significant factor to establish brighter sound)
- Regular termination
- WBT nextgen termination
- Silver based termination
- low capacitance

vh_audio_spectrum.jpg

- Copper based cable (significant factor to establish brighter sound)
- single core cable in hyperlitz configuration (3 solid cores twisted around each other)
- Eichmann / ETI Bullet termination (Most significant factor to establish dark sound)
- Copper based termination
- Very low capacitance

9mMP3.jpg

Thanks CorElement. Those are some very interesting insights that will be helpful for me during my interconnect search

Just one clarification:

- Copper based cable (significant factor to establish brighter sound)

Did you mean copper based cable is brighter or was that a typo?

Thanks,
APK

PS - Apologies to the OP for going OT.

Thanks CorElement. Those are some very interesting insights that will be helpful for me during my interconnect search

Just one clarification:

Did you mean copper based cable is brighter or was that a typo?

Thanks,
APK

PS - Apologies to the OP for going OT.

Whoops, that was a typo, fixed :)

Yes- wanted to know what the components are- i.e. what gauge wire, what termination (WBT, Eichmann etc.) and so on. Thought pics would be the quickest way to find out, but if you have the info, that would be useful too:)!

In addition to all the info you got in the above few posts, I remember Viren providing some details regarding the design of his interconnect in a german audio forum that a lot of indian audiophiles used to frequent (Stereo (Engl.) - HIFI-FORUM) - this was in the days before HFV was started! If I remember properly, Viren had posted a drawing of a section of his interconnect to explain his design principle. You could search this forum for details.

Hi, I really like the insights and am in synch with Cor's assessment....except for Copper being brighter than Silver ! I have had several interconnects (Siltech silver, Stealth Audio, Jorma Design No. 1 and Analysis Plus Gold) and never found that to be true. My apologies to disagree, but perhaps it was the set up? Its hard to try a whole bunch of interconnects on one system, although I am sure it has been done many time here on the forum.
Regards

It's hard to say without knowing the construction/build of those cables as to why copper sounded brigther on your setup. For example, I'd imagine a well constructed Silver hyperlitz cable with silver ETI bullet plugs to sound considerably darker than a vast majority of multistand copper cables with conventional RCA terminations. There are many factors to consider beyond just silver or copper.

Hi, I really like the insights and am in synch with Cor's assessment....except for Copper being brighter than Silver ! I have had several interconnects (Siltech silver, Stealth Audio, Jorma Design No. 1 and Analysis Plus Gold) and never found that to be true. My apologies to disagree, but perhaps it was the set up? Its hard to try a whole bunch of interconnects on one system, although I am sure it has been done many time here on the forum.
Regards

Hi Staxxx, perhaps one reason for silver sounding 'brighter' than copper could be that the sound with silver is a bit more analytical and detailed at the higher end of the frequency spectrum which may be perceived as bright...

Hi Staxxx, perhaps one reason for silver sounding 'brighter' than copper could be that the sound with silver is a bit more analytical and detailed at the higher end of the frequency spectrum which may be perceived as bright...

There is surely a shift in frquency balance when seen across the entire spectrum as the medium changes from Cu to Ag. I heard it for myself. Maybe its some harmonics enhanced and others subdued ..

--G

It's hard to say without knowing the construction/build of those cables as to why copper sounded brigther on your setup. .

Hi CorElement, perhaps I misunderstood your comment. Copper has never sounded brighter on almost any of my systems.....which is what I mentioned. Perhaps we are on the same page.
I have always found it to be warmer and richer.

Yes I would agree that silver does sound very detailed....copper warmer and richer. At the level of cables I am mentioning ($2,000 to $10,000) I don't think there is much loss of detail, but perhaps as you say a perception.
Anyway, I must confess my analysis has always been based on listening. Once I start to break into the science of it (and my first degree is as a material scientist) I get far too confused and lose the plot ! :))

Hi CorElement, perhaps I misunderstood your comment. Copper has never sounded brighter on almost any of my systems.....which is what I mentioned. Perhaps we are on the same page.
I have always found it to be warmer and richer.

Aha, yeah then it's a misunderstanding. It seemed like you were saying you found copper brighter :)

Thanks a ton for the detailed comments, all..much appreciated. I'll get in touch with Viren when I'm in Delhi next.

Chindaluru, Staxx, Avm, Arj,

Sorry I find myself suddenly shifting house to Whitefield side hence the audition will take a while till I set things up. Have not listened to anything myself for a while now...

Will surely invite you over when done.

Regards

Back