Marantz and Boston Acoustics?

chander

Guys,

I am sure similar questions have been posted many times here, though I haven't been able to find anything on the configuration I am looking at, hence a new thread. I am looking at assembling a new surround sound system in my house and I have settled on the following components (in terms of priority):

Speakers:
a. Boston Acoustics A26 (Front) + A25 (Surround) + A225c (Center) = Rs.44,000/-
b. Jamo 426 HSC-3 Set = Rs.30,000/-
c. Taga Harmony TAV606 V3 = Rs.24,000/-

Subwoofer: Samson MediaOne 10s (Already have)

Receiver: Marantz NR1506 (Already Have)

Can you please suggest that with the subwoofer and receiver that I already have, which of the three will sound the best (primarily, driven best by the Marantz as it is low on power - 50W per channel). Any other suggestions for the speakers that will probably do better in this setup?

Hi,

I have heard both the Bostons and Jamo on the NR series Marantz avr and both are great...you need to decide now between the Boston setup which is bookshelf and the Jamo setup which has towers for fronts...

The NR series has got enough muscle...we have a fellow member who uses Dali Z7s on NR series 1606.

Thanks @ efernand1. Good to know that the Marantz can handle some power hungry speakers. I am not that picky about the towers/bookshelves as far as space is concerned, my choice will primarily be driven by the capability of Marantz to drive the speakers I purchase.

I have been asked to steer clear of the Bostons by many people and I have recently been looking at an alternate setup of Q acoustics instead of Boston Acoustics:

QA 2010i - 2 Pairs + QA 2000CI = 57K

Do you suggest these might be a great improvement over the Bostons or the others?

Thanks!

Wharfedales, I like and I like them a lot, I have a set of 10.5s being driven by a Marantz in a stereo setup. I was looking for a different experience more or less, but that is my secret backup choice - the 210 Bookshelves in 2 pairs and a 220C for center for a total of around Rs.47,000.

So you prefer Boston acoustics over Q acoustics? Also what is your preference of the Boston Acoustics or Jamo?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,

Jamo would be C series.

Bostons are neat...

Have you heard Polks? Tsx 110 and 220 are good....the RTiA1s and A3s are awesome...profx ropes in 10-15% discount...you may like the RTI series

Please elaborate on,-"Jamo would be C series".

Brilliant@ "Bostons are neat..."

I would love to hear the RTi A1/A3s and I have heard the Tsx 110 (not the 220), but nothing to write home about them.

I am getting more and more inclined towards the Bostons.

Thanks!

Last edited:
What about the TAGA TAV 606 V3. They are super cheap. Can they be compared with the Jamo? ET-AL?

Thanks @ efernand1. Good to know that the Marantz can handle some power hungry speakers. I am not that picky about the towers/bookshelves as far as space is concerned, my choice will primarily be driven by the capability of Marantz to drive the speakers I purchase.

I have been asked to steer clear of the Bostons by many people and I have recently been looking at an alternate setup of Q acoustics instead of Boston Acoustics:

QA 2010i - 2 Pairs + QA 2000CI = 57K

Do you suggest these might be a great improvement over the Bostons or the others?

Thanks!

who asked you to steer clear of BA? and why?

BA26 is probably the only piece of electronics that i've seen that is selling cheaper in india then it is in the US/Europe. & its highly rated too with good reviews. but psychology being what it is, even i'm suspicious of them because they're available so much cheaper compared to other brands :p

A few past sellers (they kept it but discontinued as they sounded bad), a couple other forums. The reason they gave was that the sound was more like a small boxed system, the reviews online however say otherwise. The majority of reviews I have read favor these little guys, specially to set them up in a 5.0 configuration with an additional active woofer. That's why I am confused.

I do not know anyone personally who has a setup with these or even own a pair in a stereo configuration. Would have loved to hear them once before buying.

Subwoofer: Samson MediaOne 10s (Already have)

Receiver: Marantz NR1506 (Already Have)

Can you please suggest that with the subwoofer and receiver that I already have, which of the three will sound the best (primarily, driven best by the Marantz as it is low on power - 50W per channel). Any other suggestions for the speakers that will probably do better in this setup?

Since you already have a subwoofer and if it is movies that you would watch more, then consider satellite/speaker combo..

Assuming 40K is all you have - then cnsider Taga Harmony inMOVE 5.1 Home Theater Package

This will make your set-up 5.2 :eek:hyeah:

Thanks for the suggestion, though if Taga it is then I would rather stick to the Harmony TAV 606 V3. This woofer in a 5.2 system with my Samson MediaOne 10 will be a mismatch too, so doesn't make sense to buy a system with a woofer and pay for it, when I can put that money in better bookshelves.

Thanks!

Anyone else with experience with Q Acoustics/Boston Acoustics here? I love the way QAs look, will look great with my setup, however, the BAs have got good reviews and save me a decent chunk.

I am leaning more and more towards the BAs, as I read more about them being a fun speaker setup that can be an advantage in a 5.1 setup.

Last edited:
Hi, I use the BA A26 and repeat what I said many times. They are the best value for money speakers now and they are suitable both for HT and music. You cannot go wrong with them. I use them for stereo btw.

They sound full bodied as if they are FS, smooth and have good punch. Quite refined speakers probably a bit bass heavy, slightly I would say. Will partner with most amps with ease, not at all finicky. I used them with Topping, Marantz, Denon and now Yamaha and they always sounded good. As you have a Marantz they should pair well.

More so they are built extremely well, I mean they are built much better than the WDs 10.1s I have. They are quite sensitive as well so your amp will be less stressed during action scenes.

In my case they sound much better when paired with my Onkyo AVR compared to the diamonds. So as a user I fully recommend it.

Hope this helps you decide, if it's possible pl audition the speakers here buying

Sent thru mobile

Last edited:
I was comparing these two speakers as well for a friend... I went with the A26 package. They both had unique and good sound.
But since it was the start of a 5.1 system, I was thinking more about the future. Another point is that cosmetically the BA's look was cooler...

We got the system home and set it up with the Marantz PM5004. The initial sound was too sharp and wasn't the best... I was a little let down. The dealer told me to let them burn-in.
Extremely VFM and capable speakers. These are my definite pick for anybody looking for a good overall sound. I am a fan of the speakers and they have trained my ears very well.
Also, they look very well built... the only minor drawback is that they are way bigger.

IMO, for a surround system it is important to use speakers form same family from a manufacturer and its not a good idea to mix and match different speakers. AFAIK, keeping the same tweeter is most important followed by the timber.

I do agree that BA A26 is very capable speaker for the price point but I would not suggest mixing.

Thanks guys, this has been quite informative. I am now completely leaning towards the BAs. There is no way I can audition them or I would have had already!

I have one last question before we bid adieu! Considering I only need this as a 5.1 setup and not a music setup, (I already have a Studio Monitor setup with my PC and a stereo setup in my living room, so only and only for movies), do you think it makes sense to go for 2 pairs of the smaller brother A25 instead of A26? I believe the bass extension is where the A26 excel, though I already have a sub, and my crossover settings will take that responsibility of going too low anyhow. I would love the smaller footprint, if the A25s are not a huge compromise in sound quality over the A26s.

Thanks again guys!

Last edited:
I would suggest go with A26 for fronts and A25 for surrounds, in that way your HT is well equipped. Though you have a sub, but with A26 has fronts will make a big difference.
IMO, there is no huge difference in price between A25 & A26, so there is no big savings also.

Well I guess that kind of settles it. Till I am stumbled again, thanks a ton you all!!!!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back