Marantz - CD6003 & PM7001 - Speakers ?

Have the exact same combination and am using them with my floorstanding 4 Ohm loudspeakers. I have a fairly small room 10 x 12.

vivek what speakers are u using .........i enquired about Quad's ...

Quad 12L2 is 41,000 and 12L1 is 31,000 in mumbai

PSB ...i am yet to enquire .....the only problem here is shops which stock Quad's don't stock Marantz ........ i think Alliance 4 has both ...i am checking on that

Budget is around 50,000 for the speakers alone and can be extended upto 60k also .

Room Size is 15 / 11

My genre of music - Pop , Heavy metal , rock , classical , Tamil film songs , Folk ...

CoolDude, You can look at some serious BS for 50-60k budget. (I assumed you'r looking for bookshelf rather than a floorstander going by the replies here). Do try and audition these as well: (I've given the chennai price & places; donno abt mumbai as I deduce you live there - hope someone else can help)

EPOS M12i - 47k @ decibels, chennai
PSB B6 - 38k @ "
MA RS1 - 47k @ audio people, chennai (good discount possible for this one)
MA RX1 - 43k @ "
MA RX2 - 54k @ " (or 57k, I don't remember exact amt)
Paradigm Studio10 - 47k @ grand cinema, chennai (amt sounded high to me - probably that's for studio20 quoted wrongly)?
MS Mezzo2 - 37k @ "

Can't compare with the above but still mighty good ones for lesser budget:
Wharf Diamond 10.2 - 20k @ grand cinema
MA BR2 - 27k @ audio people (again I don't remember the exact amount but guess this is close)

Out of these, I would highly recommend the EPOS - it will easily satisfy most of your needs (I can't comment on heavy metal though - not much of experience there).

Good luck with your hunt! :cheers:

Thanks Gun Mo ..yes i live in Mumbai ....i am looking for BS speakers .....

Which is best suited for Tamil Film songs .....Especially Yuvan Shankar Raja ....my Fav...infact he covers all genre's

Spoke to Alliance ......they dont have Quad's on display .......only Wharf 9.1 and 10 series ....may go this Saturday for the demo..

Another +1 for the Marantz-Quad combination. I've listened to the Quad 11Ls and they are an excellent match for the Marantz sound. Also heard the Quad Lite package with the AVR 6003 and it sounded very well-balanced overall. Get bookshelves first (12L if you like more bass). You can always add a subwoofer later for under Rs 25K to augment the lows.

-Jinx.

Hi ,

Two months of roaming around the streets of mumbai ....visiting all the Hi-Fi shops..........AV max and What's HiFi ........and a lot of time on the internet ...........finally ......Following is my setup.......almost complete :

PM7001 - 21K (grey market - sound out - heera panna - mumbai)
Quad 11L2 - 28K (designer audio - mumbai)
DAC Cable - (8m*87 = 696 - this is a in-house brand of designer audio)
Banana Plugs (2 pairs - 450/- per pair = 900)
CD Player - Marantz CD6003 (out of stock - so will have to wait for 15 days or so )

Currently i am using my Philips CD player and panasonic discman with the amp .

The sound is very good ..just the way i want it ...appropriate amount of bass and decent amount of treble ....the bass and treble controls on marantz make up for the rest........clarity is very good ........i am able to hear many new sounds .......the sound actually pulls you towards it ...... volume knob at 9'O clock position produces more than sufficient ( loud )music .....

Thanks to all .....for your valuable inputs

Special thanks to Sidharth for clearing my doubts and helping me to decide on the speakers .... Magma for helping me with all the concepts so that I could understand the specifications and match the amp and speakers

I have a few doubts -

1) Should i go for Biwiring ?

2) Currently my amp is connected with banana plugs while speakers are connected directly ......should I connect speakers also with banana plugs ....will this result in improved sound quality ?

3) Where can i get good banana plugs ....is 450/- the right price? ....the brand is DAC ( in-house brand of designer audio) ...

When i plugged my Philips CD player and then Panasonic discman there was a difference in sound quality ......Since i have some time in hand i am going to look at different CD players . I have a few queries here .

i went through the marantz website and felt CD6003 / 7003 / 8003 will be a right fit for my amp .....

I had a Samsung 3 disc changer (my first cd player) ...i could program tracks and leave it to play for 3 to 4 hours .........that's something which i have been missing for the last 5 yrs ............i bought a philips DVD player and used it as a CD player .........

So that leads me to - Yamaha CD-C600 5-Disc CD Changer / Player (not available in India) ........and Marantz cc4003........

Pls suggest if this would go well with my set up and mainly would it impact sound quality vis a vis a single CD player like CD6003 ...

Sidharth has told me about the disc changer generating more heat .....what are the other disadvantages ......

anybody here who is using a disc changer cd player .......

I feel multi cd changer prone to malfunction.
With the cd6003, you can use the usb playback for playback of wav files for long sessions.

1) Should i go for Biwiring ?

You say you are getting all frequencies and at adequate volume. So why do you want to fiddle around with something that is working well? In any case Bi-Wiring is a personal preference. I would suggest you try it if you curious and stick to what your ears like.

2) Currently my amp is connected with banana plugs while speakers are connected directly ......should I connect speakers also with banana plugs ....will this result in improved sound quality ?

Connecting naked wires is the best option in terms of connectivity. But many of us use banana plugs and spades for convenience and for flexibility. You will not lose much when you use a banana plug or a spade. It is doubtful if it will improve the sound over naked wire connection.

3) Where can i get good banana plugs ....is 450/- the right price? ....the brand is DAC ( in-house brand of designer audio) ...

A pair of good gold plated banana plugs will cost that much. In addition to DAC, you could also try MX brand that will be available in local electronic shops.

So that leads me to - Yamaha CD-C600 5-Disc CD Changer / Player (not available in India) ........and Marantz cc4003........ Pls suggest if this would go well with my set up and mainly would it impact sound quality vis a vis a single CD player like CD6003 ...

The era of CD and DVD changers are slowly dying. The electronics are complicated as are the internal mechanical contraptions needed to remove one media and place another in it's place.

A better option is to use digitised music using a good media player or a PC. You can store thousands of songs in such as system and play it any way you want it.

Cheers

finally purchased CD6003 and plugged it to my PM7001........with MX-2135 cable ......the difference is very apparent .....lot of bass .........as i play more and more the bass seems to increase ..........is this because of the CD player alone or also because of the MX cable which I am using ?

@Prashant DV

22K from a well known HIFI Retailer in Chennai without Bill & Warranty .........since I stay in Mumbai ........also this one yr warranty does not make any sense .......it was a brand new box packed piece . i think going for a new piece without B&W from a reputed shop rather than grey market is a much safer option .........

Price was 21K with Bill and Warranty in Voila in Mumbai ........and i was busy doing some research for other options .........When i decided to buy ..... it was out of stock everywhere .......so enquired at other places and new ones have a price of 28K (then they offer a discount of 7 % and bring it down to 26K ) ... this infact is a standard practice at Boomarang for all their products .....

Make sure you enquire at few places in case u plan to buy it .....prices have increased for sure ...I would recommend Voila ........they don't encourage bargaining but quote the right price

Last edited:
@Prashant DV

22K from a well known HIFI Retailer in Chennai without Bill & Warranty .........since I stay in Mumbai ........also this one yr warranty does not make any sense .......it was a brand new box packed piece . i think going for a new piece without B&W from a reputed shop rather than grey market is a much safer option .........

The Marantz authorised dealer in Chennai quoted 28.5K.Please PM me the name of the retailer in Chennai.Thanks.

Hi ,

I have a doubt -

I have been hearing my Marantz PM7001 (70W at 8 ohms and 100 at 4 ohms) with Quad 11l2 (85W at 6 ohms) along with CD6003 for the past one and half months ......All of them are new .......

it was quite good .......as days went by the Bass has increased and Treble has come down considerably ...........now the sound is not as good as it used to be earlier ....also I feel the level of detailing has gone down ...............the bass is not very solid .... is this a result of Burn out ......OR is this clipping of speakers ? .....i dont play the system with the volume knob beyond the 11 O clock position .........how do i find this out ?....

Also given the specs of my speakers vis a vis the amp ...is clipping possible ?

I am having Marantz PM7001 amp and currently I'm using Monitor Audio BR2 speakers. Previously I had Kef iq5 speakers. Both are excellent combinations but for me BR2 is best due to room size.

Try with speakers which has metal dome tweeters as Marantz is more of a soft sounding amp and it needs bright speakers

Hi ,

I have a doubt -

I have been hearing my Marantz PM7001 (70W at 8 ohms and 100 at 4 ohms) with Quad 11l2 (85W at 6 ohms) along with CD6003 for the past one and half months ......All of them are new .......

it was quite good .......as days went by the Bass has increased and Treble has come down considerably ...........now the sound is not as good as it used to be earlier ....also I feel the level of detailing has gone down ...............the bass is not very solid .... is this a result of Burn out ......OR is this clipping of speakers ? .....i dont play the system with the volume knob beyond the 11 O clock position .........how do i find this out ?....

Also given the specs of my speakers vis a vis the amp ...is clipping possible ?

Every 3 weeks, I remove the ICs and cables and reconnect them. This re-energises the sound. Try that. What ICs and cables are you using? Are your speakers on spikes?

Regards

hi ,

I did some biwiring and there is some difference in the sound ...removed all the cables and inserted it back after .....i am using MX cables to connect CD player to amp .....and DAC cables to connect speakers to the amp .....

Well spikeguard ...again MX ....but i did not understand the speaker part of it ......its the amp and cd player which is connected to the spike ...

Hi ,

I have a doubt -

Sir,
I feel , pardon me if Iam wrong ,Speakers are underpowered . 70 w at 8 Ohms equal to 85W approx at 6 Ohms of the Amp.
The speaker rating generally will be given for Dynamic power and the speakers might be around 50W for continuous power . If you run the amp for continuously at high volume the coils of the tweeter will get heated up and might get damaged. Why dont you try the amp on another set of speakers to clear your doubts.

Regards

hi Krishna ,

speakers specs .. 85W continuous power at nominal impedance of 6 ohms .....so 85 is not dynamic power ....yes like u mentioned clipping could have taken place ........but the amp has a protective circuit which gets activated ....so u come to know ....this never happened ....

also if continuous power is 50W and my amp i capable of delivering 70W ...why would that underpower speakers ?

Last edited:
Back