Marantz CD6004 playback issues

Ashenden

Hi FMs,

My marantz CD6004 [audio CD player] is again giving problems with playback. It is 8 years old and CDs [good ones with no scratch] stop playing intermittently. It doesn't stop at same place on the CD/track but randomly. I used a CD lens cleaner from Allsop. It has reduced the problem, but still CD stops after a couple or so tracks and I have to press "stop" and start again.
Is this a failing lens issue or dirty lens which can start working if cleaned multiple times with the disc cleaner? The Allsop cleaner [linked below], has been very good with my other CD players and drives, only with marantz it has hit a roadblock. I'm currently using the front USB port to play WAV files ripped from my CD collection as a workaround.

Any suggestions would be welcome & thanks for looking!

The other cheaper players, which are more than a decade older from Sony/Samsung/JVC etc still work without any issues and even play scratched disks. So does this mean that Marantz uses poor quality components? I'm asking this since I see similar issue getting reported in multiple forums

Yes this has been an ongoing issue with the new Marantz players. My friends CD5004 has the same problem that keeps re-surfacing. I have a NAD CD player that works perfectly for the past 18 years. Sadly audio/video equipment is not what it used to be, even from reputed brands.

marantz cd players have a good SQ ...but u have to replace the lens once in three to four yrs depending on your usage ...
yes, the DAC inside is excellent. They need to provide a better transport. Unfortunately there is no digital-in so option of using an external transport also is ruled out

Yes surely the lens needs replacement.
Multiple use of the lens cleaner will not help.
The lens will cost you approx 3500.
Do it from an authorised Marantz service center if you wish to replace.
Cheers.

Yes surely the lens needs replacement.
Multiple use of the lens cleaner will not help.
The lens will cost you approx 3500.
Do it from an authorised Marantz service center if you wish to replace.
Cheers.
Have you replaced the lens on your player? How long did it last after the repair?

OK, then no point in repairing. I'll stick with my workaround of using the USB port for reading CD rips
My friend's 5004 started giving problems after a year. Got the lens replaced by official Marantz Service center in Bangalore. Same story after a year. He took it back and they said it has to be replaced again. Finally he got tired of the player and fixed up his 15 year old Denon.

Have you replaced the lens on your player? How long did it last after the repair?
Sandeep... Fortunately I have not replaced the lens for the past 8 or 9 years approx since the time I bought it. CD 6002.
And it is still fine.
So as per the feedback of others, the issue seems more with the current lot.

You can also try levelling the player.
Check if the player is equally stable on its 4 feet. If there is a gap under one if its feet, put a small thin piece of foam under it temporarily.
Check if it helps. It is similar to using stillpoints and other supports to balance the player.

You can also try levelling the player.
Check if the player is equally stable on its 4 feet. If there is a gap under one if its feet, put a small thin piece of foam under it temporarily.
Check if it helps. It is similar to using stillpoints and other supports to balance the player.
Yes. It is on a level stable cabinet. The turntable that was earlier near it worked fine.

Modern transports are unreliable compared to a vintage one because they're not built like them. But then they are incredibly cheap. An entire Sanyo SF P101 transport is available for around 7 usd on eBay, and hopefully around the same price locally. To put things in perspective, a generic replacement stylus for the average mm cart costs twice as much.
Also, I'm not even sure they actually replaced the laser. They could have just recalibrated it and sent you on your way waiting for you to come back and pay when it started failing again. Learn to accept CD transports are wear and tear items that need to be replaced regularly, and be happy36246

The same transport I replaced in an onkyo c7030 I got for almost nothing because the laser died!

Last edited:
Modern transports are unreliable compared to a vintage one because they're not built like them. But then they are incredibly cheap. An entire Sanyo SF P101 transport is available for around 7 usd on eBay
Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, quality is poor. One would wonder as to why Marantz would use a $10 transport in a $500 player :)

because good transports are not built by anyone any more. the last of the great ones - the philips CD Pro 2, (from the CDM line) costs $650+ for the NOS transport alone. And in my opinion, the transport does not matter that much in a digital system (despite all the praises that are sung of the VRDS and the CDM Transports) It's the DAC, filters and analog circuitry.

I have an old CD player with a CDM 4/19 transport that still works flawlessly. but once you hook it up to a DAC, they all sound the same as any of my other ones, and the only difference is that the seek and read time are virtually 0 compared to a sled drive transport

I have an old CD player with a CDM 4/19 transport that still works flawlessly. but once you hook it up to a DAC, they all sound the same as any of my other ones, and the only difference is that the seek and read time are virtually 0 compared to a sled drive transport
Yes. All the old and cheaper CD players still work fine. I find the more expensive and sophisticated ones (in terms of marketing jargon :)) to be more unreliable.

Back