Marantz Owner Thread...

Hi, i got a Marantz sr6013 recently. Generally what is the heat produced when running continuosly for 4-5 hours ?

It's designed to tolerate being warm as long as it's well ventilated on all sides. Don't put it inside a cabinet or stack it over or under another component. If it's too hot to touch, then that's a red flag.

MaSh

Hi, i got a Marantz sr6013 recently. Generally what is the heat produced when running continuosly for 4-5 hours ?
With 8 ,6 ohm setting ,it will produce more heat.With 4 ohm or echo mode,it will just warm up.

It's designed to tolerate being warm as long as it's well ventilated on all sides. Don't put it inside a cabinet or stack it over or under another component. If it's too hot to touch, then that's a red flag.

MaSh
Its not that untouchable but I feel the heat generated is more compared to my previous Onkyo HTIB avr.

Its not that untouchable but I feel the heat generated is more compared to my previous Onkyo HTIB avr.
Which speakers do you use? If it's not too hot to touch then it's okay. Keep it ventilated, open on all sides. Switch off any economy modes present.

MaSh

Which speakers do you use? If it's not too hot to touch then it's okay. Keep it ventilated, open on all sides. Switch off any economy modes present.

MaSh
Sure. Right now, I am using the old Onkyo HTIB setup speakers only, yet to upgrade.

Eco modes will run the AVR at conservative power and you may feel the overall performance a bit underpowered or dull....

I dont use Eco Mode and it sounds great

It's kinda throttling down the receiver. In the past we have seen posts where eco mode has resulted in excessive heat.

MaSh
It actually shouldn't
ECO mode (AUTO) is supposed to cut power to unused channels and reduce rail voltages at low volumes so that the amp is not running at full power
It will increase the voltages to normal as you turn up the volume.

Have verified it with a watt-meter where Eco Auto will she the same draw at high volumes as Eco OFF but will reduce the draw at low volumes.
The amp should run cooler with ECO AUTO

It actually shouldn't
ECO mode (AUTO) is supposed to cut power to unused channels and reduce rail voltages at low volumes so that the amp is not running at full power
It will increase the voltages to normal as you turn up the volume.

Have verified it with a watt-meter where Eco Auto will she the same draw at high volumes as Eco OFF but will reduce the draw at low volumes.
The amp should run cooler with ECO AUTO
Yeah theoretically sounds right. But in reality we saw otherwise. In short, I'd just have the eco mode off.

MaSh

I agree with turning the eco mode off.
It was compressing my speakers during dynamic passages.
Also if you're going to be using all the amps in the receiver, ie all 9 channels of SR6013, I highly recommend adding a 2/3 channel power amp.
This way you get to release a bit of pressure on the receiver, and it may stay cooler.
Not only will you get better sound from the fronts but the surrounds and Atmos speakers will also open up.
This from recent and personal experience.

I agree with turning the eco mode off.
It was compressing my speakers during dynamic passages.
Also if you're going to be using all the amps in the receiver, ie all 9 channels of SR6013, I highly recommend adding a 2/3 channel power amp.
This way you get to release a bit of pressure on the receiver, and it may stay cooler.
Not only will you get better sound from the fronts but the surrounds and Atmos speakers will also open up.
This from recent and personal experience.
Any reco for 2/3 channel power amp to use with SR6013 ?

Hi all, if you guys are talking about the AVR shutting-off with Red LED blinking due to overheating then read my story further:

Some years back when I was in a business trip to Singapore, took Denon 4311. back home when in use it used to shut off with Red LED blinking. this happens whenever I push the volume to enjoy heavy scenes the AVR will shutdown, embracing situation in the process of show-off to friends.
Moved to Singapore and thought the re-arranging of AV system will solve then problem. But again the same problem. This time wrote to Denon and they advised to take it to the Service Center. Took it but guy returned it saying no issues found. I took it again for some hum issue in the surrounds, but shutdown continued.
Later after out of frustration did further study and found many in the hot climate like in Singapore use additional cooling fan on top of the one in-built which I never saw spinning.
So, after adding, AC Infinity cooling fan on top of the AVR. Now no issues.
AC Infinity

It's kinda throttling down the receiver. In the past we have seen posts where eco mode has resulted in excessive heat.

MaSh
Currently its other way round.Echo mode turns off a rail which you can hear as click sound.With Echo mode,AVR doesnt heat up much.Sound struggles though.Auto mode clicks many times as relay turn on and off depending on power requirement.My htpc sometimes restarts due to it.

I'm using an older Anthem MCA 30 to power the 3 fronts. Dead quiet and spectacular sounding.
If you want brand new, then Emotiva is pretty decent, but these days you can pick up a used multichannel for not much.
The older Rotels can be had for very little and would be my other recommendation.

I recently upgraded my existing AVR to Marantz SR7013. With 30 minutes of usage and running the volume level at reference -15dB, it was running hot. I have been using a laptop cooling pad which reduces the heat to an extent.

I have a 5 channel ROTEL power amplifier which I connected to the AVR after a week from the AVR purchase date. After taking all the front 5 channels (LCR + FHR & FHL) in my 5.1.4 setup to power amplifier, the heat has come down and there is a difference in the AVR temperature as the AVR front 5 channels amplification has been offloaded to the separates.

I have one more 2 channel power amplifier from KENWOOD to drive the remaining rear height channels. It not only improves the sound quality, it further contributes to take the excess heat from the AVR. Remaining 2 (surrounds) out of 9 channels are driven by the AVR itself. The heat produced for driving these 2 channels is negligible.

I am getting a AC Infinity Aircom T10 front exhaust fan in the coming weeks. I should supersede the laptop cooler better in sucking out the heat from the AVR. Cant really help for the heat produced by Marantz (Pretty much the same case with the other brand AVRs which drive 9 and more channels), no matter how many minutes / hours you use.

As much as possible, keep the AVR and other equipment ventilated and have them run in air conditioned environment. If not possible, at least have the ceiling fan ON. A laptop cooler or a proper AVR cooling systems like AC Infinity Aircom products would help in reducing the heat to an extent for sure.

Last edited:

There are lots of power amplifier options in the For Sale By Owner section.

Also you can find many good amplifier options in online used markets but you should be wary (test before taking) in choosing them.

Back