Marantz PM6007/6006+netwrok streamer

I have not heard Polk . If you feel after a few weeks that the sound is still warm and boomy ......try to audition with Dali speakers ....they are lively and may offset this .

yup but i doubt that is going to make a big diff.thing is i have been playing each song that i heard on my previous avr with this and i can for sure say that the details are missing.its weird because i expected the opposite or atleast the same quality.
eg.in the bang bang movie song tu tu..the yamaha used to articulate the clap very clearly.
in phillauri song certain notes will give one that satisfaction wen u hear.notes are pronounced and make a real mark.
in guru barso re the various sounds in the background are placed in a good way in yamaha.am not saying its missing on the marantz but its kind of laid back...like its there somewhere but not smthng u will notice unless u are lukng for it.with yamaha it will tell u its there..u will realize that till that day u never felt it to be there.

This is wat i meant by the seperation and the clarity.dont know if its a yamaha vs marantz diff or an avr vs intg amp diff or hdmi vs tsolink diff.

one thing though i now notice is that the yamahas used to thin out the sound which was made worse by the polks.but the marantz gives a more fuller sound but the bass stands out which doesnt feel that good to me.bass isnt at all tight.

But it baffles me that sound can vary so much between diff companies.

edit:-
but will definitely keep an ear out to check if the sound changes for the better

i am also not sure if it has anythng to do with the tsolink cable as with the cd it feels much better but the reason i always go back to cds is because listening on music from tv seems dull which wasnt the case with the yamaha 685.

Can you advise how you are playing the movie or song ?

What I do see is that :
- Dolby Digital 5.1 sound is far better heard through an AVR
- If DD is downmixed to stereo by the TV, then the sound is not as good even if heard through a good stereo amp

To do a true apples to apples comparison, connect your CD player first to the AVR, and then to the Marantz stereo amp, and listen to the same CD.

The stereo amp should be bettter.

ok.
but i hope by warm sound they dont mean the bass thats always present as boomy and not kind of integrated with the sound.it cud also be the combination of the amp and speaker thats not the right match in my case.
any idea as to which speakers may be able to offset this too much "warm" sound if it really means this uncontrolled bass at times
Boomy uncontrolled bass is caused by room/speakers/placement as well. Try positioning your speakers differently.
I have had many Marantz systems over years. The lower range models have midrange hump with treble roll off. Higher range models are neutral with much less roll off, detailed without being clinical. CXA series, in comparison are more 'lively' with a hint of coloration. But I have never felt either of these makes to have boomy bass. I have no idea about the Yamaha.
YMMV.

Can you advise how you are playing the movie or song ?

What I do see is that :
- Dolby Digital 5.1 sound is far better heard through an AVR
- If DD is downmixed to stereo by the TV, then the sound is not as good even if heard through a good stereo amp

To do a true apples to apples comparison, connect your CD player first to the AVR, and then to the Marantz stereo amp, and listen to the same CD.

The stereo amp should be bettter.
playing the music on an old philips dvd player using original audio cds.

tv i think i gave up last week itself.u r rt.it doesnt sound good.
well i no more own the avr.so i cant do a comparison currently.

initially when i heard i did feel the diff.thats wen i started playing the same songs i played via the yamaha avr on my current marantz.i remember certain things standing out in certain songs inly because i was surpised to hear them there which i hadnt till playing it via the avr.

on marantz its there but u have to sit there and keenly wait for it.u wont just notice it because it came out as it did on the avr.

one thing though is that the amp has changed a bit soundwise since playing last week.And till date i thought burn in was kind of part snake oil.

by boomy i never meant the mushy kind of bass..never but wat i meant wat its not tightly controlled.

initially when i heard i did feel the diff.thats wen i started playing the same songs i played via the yamaha avr on my current marantz.i remember certain things standing out in certain songs inly because i was surpised to hear them there which i hadnt till playing it via the avr.

on marantz its there but u have to sit there and keenly wait for it.u wont just notice it because it came out as it did on the avr.

one thing though is that the amp has changed a bit soundwise since playing last week.And till date i thought burn in was kind of part snake oil.

by boomy i never meant the mushy kind of bass..never but wat i meant wat its not tightly controlled.
Marantz PM6006/6007 are very good and safe amplifiers in terms of pairing. To make these sparkle, of course, you will have to pair these with revealing speakers. Try this amplifier with more capable speakers to understand its true potential. In my fair comparison, it was better suited to a pair of high-end forward speakers than a far more expensive Marantz receiver (perhaps SR7013) in 2 channel audio comparison. Just do not judge it, having another bottleneck in your audio chain. Component matching matters.

I am using Marantz SR 7011 with Dali Oberon 1's with a subwoofer. I have used another marantz model before this one too & never for an instance I have found the Marantz boomy. Treble is just fine. If you find bass boomy then pls try moving the speakers away from the walls or turn the bass knob down. It may have to do more with the speaker position/synergy rather than the amp.

I am using Marantz SR 7011 with Dali Oberon 1's with a subwoofer. I have used another marantz model before this one too & never for an instance I have found the Marantz boomy. Treble is just fine. If you find bass boomy then pls try moving the speakers away from the walls or turn the bass knob down. It may have to do more with the speaker position/synergy rather than the amp.
the bass is already set at 0.and my speakers are away from the walls.cud be my apeaker amp combo.

my bass knob is always set at lowest and treble close to highest.second last or mid point on the knob
Your room seem to be reinforcing the bass too much. Try moving away the speakers from the wall behind it (if not already tried).

the bass is already set at 0.and my speakers are away from the walls.cud be my apeaker amp combo.
0 is pass through, right? Meaning bass is not reduced or increased. If yes, reduce bass to below zero position. Don't be afraid to try lower positions.

And how far away are the speakers from the wall?

0 is pass through, right? Meaning bass is not reduced or increased. If yes, reduce bass to below zero position. Don't be afraid to try lower positions.

And how far away are the speakers from the wall?
sorry by o i meant the left low or minus.speaker is 1ft away from wall

You can turn the bass knob to minus or try source direct. I dont know about the size of your speakers but if they are big floor standers in a small room, then may sound boomy or over powering.. Try taking the speakers 2 to 3 feet away from the wall & see if there is any difference.

You can turn the bass knob to minus or try source direct. I dont know about the size of your speakers but if they are big floor standers in a small room, then may sound boomy or over powering.. Try taking the speakers 2 to 3 feet away from the wall & see if there is any difference.
yes thats the funny part.i too thought that source direct will bypass all this and will sound better.dont want to sound repetetive but thats wat the pure direct on my avr used to do.But as soon as i pit source direct the bass is too boomy.with it off atleast one has the option to turn the bass knob to minus totally.

Last edited:
yes thats the funny part.i too thought that source direct will bypass all this and will sound better.dont want to sound repetetive but thats wat the pure direct on my avr used to do.But as soon as i pit source direct the bass is too boomy.with it off atleast one has the option to turn the bass knob to minus totally.
I guess, you may have to try some positioning with the speakers or try connecting a friend's speakers or amp for testing.

I guess, you may have to try some positioning with the speakers or try connecting a friend's speakers or amp for testing.
well unlucky to not have friends having amps or passive speakers but probably once things are back to normal i may try going to bangalore to audition indiqaudio platinum bookshelves and some other speakers and will decide

out of curiosity.in a 14*12 sized room with the speaker in the 12ft side...do i need tower speakers?

You can have compact towers like Dali Oberon 5. But also a bookshelf with a 6.5 inch driver plus a sub with a 10 or 12 inch driver should be enough for 14 X 12 feet room. You may need to audition them as the cabinet, wattage & driver size affect the spl in a room. Pls do check on Indiqaudio too as they seem to have got very good reviews from the users here & seems to be a vfm product.

You can have compact towers like Dali Oberon 5. But also a bookshelf with a 6.5 inch driver plus a sub with a 10 or 12 inch driver should be enough for 14 X 12 feet room. You may need to audition them as the cabinet, wattage & driver size affect the spl in a room. Pls do check on Indiqaudio too as they seem to have got very good reviews from the users here & seems to be a vfm product.
yes i plan on having a look at the indiqs.thats why i wil hold as if now and once things get back to normal i will travel to banglore for this

ok so after i guess 3weeks probably the sound seems more open...bass is tight on cds.this is not source direct which still sounds boomy.now i dont believe too much in burn in stuff.guess its my ears geting slowly familiar or accustomed to this sound

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back