marantz63 VS pc optical out VS pioneer DV655A optical out comparision

iaudio

hai dear friends, yesterday we(along with my audio phile friends) done an intresting comparision between the above three sources by taking the digital outputs. my pc(ASUS M3N78-with optical out-foobar2000 player) mother board is having optical out put.my stereo preamp is yamaha cx1000 which accepts multiple digital inputs to work as DAC.so we connected all these three sources marantz pm63(barrowed from a fried for comparision) digital out, pioneer dv655a digital out and mother board digital out to the preamp.amp is yamaha MX1000,and the speakers are CANTON Vento 890DC.all the music is non compression music.we played same song through all the sources. intresting there is no difference between the sound quality. we are not able the identify the source. all are exactly same.from this i come to a conclusion that,if you had a good DAC, Then you no need to invest on a high end cd/dvd player for mucic. is it true?
i am expecting our friends openion in this regard.
thank you

kdlsrinu,
Thanks for that comparo. But the big question is what would be a good dac and how much would it set it back by to equal the sq from the analog out of a cdp?

kdlsrinu,
Thanks for that comparo. But the big question is what would be a good dac and how much would it set it back by to equal the sq from the analog out of a cdp?

iaudio,

The question of the effectiveness of the transport still exists. Its has not been answered in this forum. in other words, What kdlsrinu is asking is irrespective of the DAC cost, does the transport make a difference ? The Pioneer transport he has used is a mass market $60 one.

kdlsrinu,
By Marantz pm63, are you referring to the Marantz CD63 ? The PM series of Marantz are amplifiers and not CD players.

Kdlsrinu, can you try the same with one of the mass market dacs like a ca dac magic, v dac, beresford, or any other dac in the sub500$ category?
Also pl do a comparo of cd63 analog out and dvd/pc digital out thru pre amp dac.
I do get your point that the transport is not the deciding factor and thats why I am asking how much one would have to invest in a dac to make a 60$ transport equal to a good cd player?

Can you also try local mass market dvd players like samsung/lg/sony ?

This will be a interesting comparision.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back