media plus blue ray player

actually i seen both cases
i have an avenger file of 23 GB and it stucks at times in 490
otherwise i am very satisfied with 490
and i saw in pana lowest end tv the 1 tb and all files playing smoothly...
no offence i just shared my own exp
and pana has the advantage of zone free

It might be a faulty BR player..I have tested and played 35 gb avatar file in my lower end br player s190 without a glitch.
and by not playing a file properly doesn't mean all are same..remember most of sony br players get outstanding ratings from various reviewers.

the file may be faulty also..just shared the case...
490 at 8k is a super bargain no doubt..
so i bought it.
but pana offers the region free ness..thats also true

Dear all,
Pls help me with this below...
1) Can pana 220 play all the formats as that of sony 490?
2) Which is good in terms of dvd or sd file upscaling...?
3) Can both of them handle 3tb hard disks and a file as big as 20 gb?
4) can both read play mkv file with dts audio and rest of the file formats available for movies downlading on net?
thinking region free is a grt advantage, is pana way to go...

Last edited:
1) Shaiju is the best person to reply this as owned both the models
2) I think both. I have experience of S490; It's superb
3) I think yes, but never tried myself
4) Yes for MKV. Most file formats. If it can't just create an MKV file using MKVMERGE freeware (it hardly takes 1 minute or 2 based on the file size)

Yes, region free will allow you to buy & play BD/ DVD from anywhere in the world. So Pana is a better option, as Sony is almost impossible to make region free, unless you go for hardware mod, which is not available in India.

I am in a situation where I have several videos which my Pana plasma cannot play off USB.
I checked the format of those file and mostly they are:

1. H264-MPEG-4 AVC (avc1) + DTS Audio (dts)
2. MPEG-4 (XVID) + mpga

I don't intend to purchase Blue rays at the moment, though rentals are a good idea if they are cost effective.

So, while I am not sure if Panasonic BD 220 will support the above formats, I am somehow inclined to get a media player which comes with inbuilt storage, so I don't need to buy another Rs. 4000 hard disk (perhaps a portable 500 GB USB 2.0 disk from Seagate).

I am trying to figure out what WD and Asus product I should consider.
I will prefer to connect the player directly the Plasma via HDMI (also need 3D movies to be playable from the player).
My home wireless router is 54 Mbps and not very stable for the TV.
So, I intend to copy files from my laptop to the media player internal storage or to a portable 500GB HDD and then connect that HDD to the media player and connect player to TV via HDMI.

Edit: Most files I have are max. 5.6 GB, but mostly around 2 GB.
Any suggestions are welcome.

I am in a situation where I have several videos which my Pana plasma cannot play off USB.
I checked the format of those file and mostly they are:

2. MPEG-4 (XVID) + mpga

I am trying to figure out what WD and Asus product I should consider.
I will prefer to connect the player directly the Plasma via HDMI (also need 3D movies to be playable from the player).
My home wireless router is 54 Mbps and not very stable for the TV.
So, I intend to copy files from my laptop to the media player internal storage or to a portable 500GB HDD and then connect that HDD to the media player and connect player to TV via HDMI.

Edit: Most files I have are max. 5.6 GB, but mostly around 2 GB.
Any suggestions are welcome.

You can consider the WDTV Live Hub. Costs around 11k and comes with 1TB inbuilt harddrive. If you don't need the inbuilt drive you have WDTV Live or Asus o Play series.
As far as 3D is concerned i guess it can play SBS 3D only.Not Sure.

3D is not a big thing for me.

About WD TV Live Hub:

------------------------------------------
Video - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9, FLV (h.264)
Photo - JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG
Audio - MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS
Playlist - PLS, M3U, WPL
Subtitle - SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, SMI

Note:
MPEG2 MP@HL up to 1920x1080p24, 1920x1080i30 or 1280x720p60 resolution.
MPEG4.2 ASP@L5 up to 1280x720p30 resolution and no support for global motion compensation.
WMV9/VC-1 MP@HL up to 1280x720p60 or 1920x1080p24 resolution. VC-1 AP@L3 up to 1920x1080i30, 1920x1080p24 or 1280x720p60 resolution.
H.264 BP@L3 up to 720x480p30 or 720x576p25 resolution.
------------------------------------------

I am unable to understand if it plays the following or not:
2. MPEG-4 (XVID) + mpga

Can someone confirm?
Also, it seems from the notes, that there are resolution limitations (or perhaps I am mixing something?)

If you don't want to purchase any media player, try converting videos to some other formats - there are tons of software out there which allows you to remux videos. Go to videohelp forums for all types of conversion queries.

I have WDTV and till now it's played all that I've thrown at it except BD format

One more advantage that I recently saw in a media player-

I wanted to see an 'mkv' file which was not coded very well. I played it off a Pioneer BluRay player and in the middle of the movie, at a particular point, it would just stop.
I tried the same movie in a Seagate media player and at the point it was getting stuck, the player just showed some pixels and then moved on to play the movie without any problems.

One more advantage that I recently saw in a media player-

I wanted to see an 'mkv' file which was not coded very well. I played it off a Pioneer BluRay player and in the middle of the movie, at a particular point, it would just stop.
I tried the same movie in a Seagate media player and at the point it was getting stuck, the player just showed some pixels and then moved on to play the movie without any problems.

off course..my unnamed media player playes all files(even flac) my sony cant recognise...

haha..well said..i got it in a cmbo offer alongwith seagate goflex 1 tb hdd..effective price was 1.5k then..e bay ind.lovely player..just cannot bitstream..if it could i did not even bother to get sony 490 now..
link
HDD Media Player VGA FULL 1080P HDMI SD/USB MKV FLV RM RMVB | eBay

seller may not be same..i think

I have been looking at that one and a few others recently.
However, I am unsure of what this media player *cannot* play.

At the moment, most of videos I have are either

OR
2. MPEG-4 (XVID) + mpga

Can you confirm it does play both of these?
Also, will a 1 TB NTFS USB hard disk work directly via USB port?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back