Mega IC Shootout

From where can we purchase Neutrik Rean 373 RCA plug. Not available on amazon.

Mouser.in
Bajaao.com
Rajmusical.in

Actually any proaudio music shop should have them as Rean/neutrik has an office in mumbai.

Manek

Did you source the Rean 373-2 rca plugs ? Have you got a quote incase you have enquired ? If not, then i could give you the contact details of a dealer in Chennai with the best prices as far as I've checked. He deals with Belden, Wyrestorm, Neutrik, Norden, Dlink and a few other brands.

Have you got a quote incase you have enquired ? If not, then i could give you the contact details of a dealer in Chennai with the best prices as far as I've checked. He deals with Belden, Wyrestorm, Neutrik, Norden, Dlink and a few other brands.
Why not share the contact details here; like other FMs did!!

Great to find a thread dedicated to ICs with so many brilliant minds in here. So as always I come with a question - :)
1. Is it possible to make a balanced cable out of 2 unbalanced cables? I understand 2 core for XLR & 1 for coax (minimum); so if we use 2 unbalanced cables, for example 2 runs of a Mogami 2497 & use the cores for the 2 live connections and solder the shield on both for ground for an xlr. Wouldn't that be a balanced cable?
2. If it is are there any reasons why this practice is not common? Is this supposed to cause issues?

**I did ask Ali & he did say - it isn't possible, & I didn't want to bug him further, hence came here for more elaborate explanations.

Thanks!

Great to find a thread dedicated to ICs with so many brilliant minds in here. So as always I come with a question - :)
1. Is it possible to make a balanced cable out of 2 unbalanced cables? I understand 2 core for XLR & 1 for coax (minimum); so if we use 2 unbalanced cables, for example 2 runs of a Mogami 2497 & use the cores for the 2 live connections and solder the shield on both for ground for an xlr. Wouldn't that be a balanced cable?
2. If it is are there any reasons why this practice is not common? Is this supposed to cause issues?

**I did ask Ali & he did say - it isn't possible, & I didn't want to bug him further, hence came here for more elaborate explanations.

Thanks!
There is no reason it should not be possible as long as you have 3 signal carrying wires you can make a balanced cable...but i guess a Balanced cable will be cheaper than 2 runs of a single ended ? using 2 cables will end up as a really thick IC !

Balanced cable will be cheaper than 2 runs of a single ended ? using 2 cables will end up as a really thick IC !
Thanks @arj - Logically yes, it doesn't make sense. I was wondering if technically there could be any issues. I have been conducting some measurements under an Fm's guidance. :) So far looks promising.

Thanks!
technically possible, but not a good practice. The common cable from each of the 2-core cable which will be the ground on XLR may cause interference as they will be running parallel with termination at each end.

technically possible, but not a good practice. The common cable from each of the 2-core cable which will be the ground on XLR may cause interference as they will be running parallel with termination at each end.
Thanks, any other issues we can come across? also what if I use a different cable as ground - lets say a finolex single core. That should not encounter such an issue, then what kind of issues are we looking at.

Thanks, any other issues we can come across? also what if I use a different cable as ground - lets say a finolex single core. That should not encounter such an issue, then what kind of issues are we looking at.
Just get a 3-core cable (one of it shield).

technically possible, but not a good practice. The common cable from each of the 2-core cable which will be the ground on XLR may cause interference
Interference with what? Causing what?
as they will be running parallel with termination at each end.
What about store bought XLR's? Same, no?
:)
Just get a 3-core cable (one of it shield).
Now the shield is running parallel to hot/cold AND is terminated at both ends too. :p

Thanks!
The hot and cold wires of a balanced cable are twisted together, and this twist is responsible for rejecting common mode noise that the balanced cable carries, or may be induced externally. The twist, coupled with the shielding, makes a balanced cable fairly immune to noise and allows very long runs. If noise immunity is important your experiment may not be the optimal solution. But have fun experimenting!

it can act as an antennae. That is why it is not recommended to use a 3-core to terminate an RCA as-well.
It's dedicated ground; if it's an antenna, so be it.
Why anyone would use a 3 core wire for an RCA is beyond me. I've read of it being done in an RCA - a 3 wire braid with the idea behind it being that the 3rd wire would act as a pseudo shield and I tried it once - made absolute no difference; neither positive or negative.

Edit: Effectiveness of balanced is hugely dependent on the implementation of the driver and receiver of the differential circuits. So it's not a magic wand to reject noise. There's balanced and then there's balanced. ;)

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back