Mega IC Shootout

Good stuff Josh. Look forward to your next post.
Bettering the 2803 is impressive. The Mogami 2803 is a damn good cable.

Joshua, Helukabel looks interesting.
Are you planning to try speaker cables also?
Can it be sourced directly from their Indian distributor in Mumbai?

They (distributor) don't have speaker cables. Otherwise, I would have tried long ago:)

If you want to try the Instrumentkabel, they do have stock.

The Helukabel Instrumentkabel is available for 100 per meter. Fully made cable 1m length, with REAN NYS373 RCA connectors and Techflex jacket costs 400 per cable. 800 for the pair. I've been buying raw materials from them and know that this barely covers the cost of material. Promedia makes cables professionally, and I can confirm that their workmanship is top notch. So for 800 a pair plus shipping, I think it is a no brainer to try.

Their number is 022-26354891. Email [email protected].

No affiliations to Promedia. Just letting members know a source for a cable which I think performs admirably and way above its price point.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Helukabel is even 80% as good as the mogami IC I will wholeheartedly recommend it. As I believe its equal if not better its a no brainer not just for beginners but for even those having mid/high-end setups!

Any further update Joshua with the new interconnect? I suppose you would be comparing with mogami 2803 the previous one you have. I have 5 days back shiftef my amplifier to wall cavity and my existing speaker wires are coming short. So i need to get new cables. Due to this amp shift i amgetting an opportunity to step up the cables and also planning for IC.

I've sort of settled on the Helusound Instrumentenkabel. For now. Till the next better IC comes along:)

PS: for the balanced part of the chain I'm very happy with Mogami Z1.

Awaiting Joshua's feedback on the new IC compared to 2803.
Due to location change of my amplifier, I am now forced / rather have an opportunity to buy newer cables and also will plan to get new IC. Currently both are kind of local.

If you're buying fresh, buy the Helusound. You won't go wrong with it.

If you already have 2803, then keep it, as the Helusound plays at a similar level as the 2803, with a presentation that's very similar (though there are differences which I can't enumerate now as I did not note them down formally). Moving from 2803 to the Helusound will be more of a sideways move. Hope this helps.

@Joshua

No, i do not have 2803. Both the things ie. speaker cable and the interconnect (from DAC to amplifier) are kind of local.

Are you suggesting that both items should I buy Helusound?

My cable length requirement is of 7 metres for each speaker. (i.e. total 14 metrers). I was contemplating for Chord silverscreen initially but now thinking about Helusound. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

@prem

Ya agree, shorter length is always better.

But the placement of amp and speaker is such that 6-7 metres would be required. Also I had read somewhere that if wire gauge is 14, it can accomodate till 15-10 metres length. 12 gauge even higher... so based on that i was thinking 14 gauge would be suitable for 7 metre.

Yes, i checked that site and even 20 gauge (thinner) seems to be fine for my requirement, in terms decibel loss less than 1 (inauidible). I am planning for 14 gauge (thicker) if branded available. Currently i have 14 gauge only but local brand.

If i remember correct, there was one old post by Keith_correa only, which i had read couple of days back, which was mentioning about gauge and length.

Can't comment on Helusound speaker cables as I have never tried any.

Talk to magma for Mogami speaker cables. He stocks even 12 AWG ones. That's thicker than 14 AWG.

Others have voiced concerns on lengthy speaker cables. Do read up on the effects of high inductance and high capacitance on long runs of speaker cables as they have a huge impact on the sound. As far as I know, it is better to use long interconnects so that speaker cables are correspondingly shortened.

Just an update: Have ordered Chord silver screen speaker cables from profx. Should arrive in 3-4 days. :)
Will consider replacing the RCA interconnect in the next phase.

it is better to use long interconnects so that speaker cables are correspondingly shortened.

Best might be mono block power amps right next to the speaker and (XLR) balanced signal cables. This is where a small footprint and vertically tall amps come in very useful.

@heliumflight

Was curious to know your experience on 2803. Hope you have received it by this time.

@heliumflight

Was curious to know your experience on 2803. Hope you have received it by this time.

Yes, right now listening to it while replying to your post. I find it a highly resolving cable with deep bass. I have to admit that I was never a fan boy and wouldn't fall for this gimmick. But right now, I'm enjoying the music which I've been missing for years...:cool:

--
helium
Asus Xonar STX + Bottlehead Foreplay III + Lyrita Audio SET 6C33C + Vintage Acoustic Research AR2ax + Mogami 2803 + CA IC = Nirvana

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread.

Hi jls001: could you please reconfirm your opinion/ experience with the Helukabel instrument cable compared with Mogami 2803/ 2549; are you still using it in your chain? price difference is quite high and wanted to check again to order
[emoji4]

From computer sound card output to buffer input I'm using a home made interconnect made with 34 AWG transformer wires. It's seriously cheap but sounds very good. From CD player to buffer I'm using Helusound Instrumentenkabel. The Mogami 2803 connects phono preamp to buffer.

I'm still of the opinion that the Helusound Instrumentenkabel is the equal, if not better, than 2803.

Hope that helps.

Back