Mega IC Shootout

Another cable worth trying out is the Belden 8402. It's a vintage cable which has been in continuous production since the early 60s. Apparently this cable was very popular with recording studios since the 60s and many of the recordings we've come to like have probably passed through these cables in the studios. It's a balanced cable though I've wired mine as unbalanced. I've made a balanced pair too for a friend but haven't had the opportunity to audition it properly. I only managed to briefly pit it against a very fine balanced cable at a friend's place, where it acquitted itself rather well.

Sound signature is warm yet resolving, and unfatiguing.I liked it so much that I upgraded my pair to fancy connectors. Earlier it was using Switchcraft RCAs with gold plated center pin. This Switchcraft connector is a very good connector, BTW. Even the Switchcraft XLRs are very good. They use silver plated pins and will probably give Neutrik's silver plated XLRs a run for their money (though the Neutrik's barrel mechanical construction is leagues ahead).

Here's an interesting review of this cable:

http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=7325

Right now it's my top IC :thumbsup: and connects my primary source to the buffer.

Available by the foot from here:

https://btpa.com/CA-0582.html

You may wanna try this at home:)

Last edited:
Chord multi award winner CLine tuned array interconnect is finally coming to India next month. Mail ProFx for details.

Finally mogami 2803 IC arrived today. [emoji4]

Done some initial listening and now waititng for burn in over the next few days.

Reviving an old thread.

Hi jls001: could you please reconfirm your opinion/ experience with the Helukabel instrument cable compared with Mogami 2803/ 2549; are you still using it in your chain? price difference is quite high and wanted to check again to order
[emoji4]

Hi kvm,

Had you later purchased helukabel. I was thinking to buy it. I recently emailed them but no reply.

. From CD player to buffer I'm using Helusound Instrumentenkabel. The Mogami 2803 connects phono preamp to buffer.

I'm still of the opinion that the Helusound Instrumentenkabel is the equal, if not better, than 2803.

Hope that helps.

Hi Joshua,
Which buffer you have? Is it some kind of tube buffer? I recently got the yaqin cd3 tube buffer, hence curious.

Just call them. They're probably not too email/Net/social network savvy.
Ya spoke to them aswell. In email i quoted your draft about the cable and rean connectors so that they know what i am asking for. I had mistaken their specs sheet on their site and inquired for a rca but now i realize it was not helusound exactly. I hope they will prepare / solder the rca and then ship, right? I don't have to do anything at home.

Sent from my SM-N750 using Tapatalk

They (distributor) don't have speaker cables. Otherwise, I would have tried long ago:)

If you want to try the Instrumentkabel, they do have stock.

The Helukabel Instrumentkabel is available for 100 per meter. Fully made cable 1m length, with REAN NYS373 RCA connectors and Techflex jacket costs 400 per cable. 800 for the pair. I've been buying raw materials from them and know that this barely covers the cost of material. Promedia makes cables professionally, and I can confirm that their workmanship is top notch. So for 800 a pair plus shipping, I think it is a no brainer to try.

Their number is 022-26354891. Email [email protected].

No affiliations to Promedia. Just letting members know a source for a cable which I think performs admirably and way above its price point.

How had you approached them and placed order for getting the RCA interconnect? I mean via online ordering or on email or phone? The reason I am asking is, few months back I had emailed them and also talked to them (bcos they are not so internet savvy), but finally after many follow-ups, they did not entertain much saying that they don't have time for all these details (i.e. the helusound cable, the connectors, terminating etc) and they sent me a RCA terminated of some other brand pro-link. Their catalogue did not have the helusound cable aswell.

amit.

After going through this excellent thread and the glowing report on Helukabel ICs, I was tempted to pick up a couple of pairs. So I called up Ms. Promedia, spoke to Mr. Nikhil, confirmed that these were available and requested him for his bank details to transfer the money online, as I do not reside in Mumbai. I was assured that the details would be sent to me by SMS in a day at the most.

Since no SMS arrived, I called Mr. Nikhil again after 3-4 days and received the same assurance. Still when no SMS came after a few days, I called them up again, spoke to a lady who too assured she would get back to me soonest. However, 2 weeks later, still nothing.

I am sorry, but I do not think I would want to deal with a seller who has such a lackadaisical approach towards his customers.

I also had similar experience...seems they don't deal in this cable any more... reaponse is too late...we have to follow up all times..

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Here's a crazy recipe for an excellent sounding unbalanced or balanced interconnect.

Raw material is Duelund Coherent Audio DCA 16GA 16 gauge wire. This is a replica of the Western Electric WE16 wire.

nPV2wBA.jpg

The oil impregnated cotton insulation is stripped:

CyJE39T.jpg

Strands carefully unwound and inserted into raw cotton tubing:

vN7j6Fj.jpg

Finished cables:

t1fAb1E.jpg

5SfBUgx.jpg

The 30 awg tinned copper cable recipe came from David Berning and I requested Joshua to make me one. Thanks Joshua. Mine is a balanced cable. I also have the Belden 8402 balanced cable. The 8402 is shielded and the 30 awg is unshielded.

In my system the 30 awg sounds a bit more open. The 8402 is more musical. The 30 awg sounds a bit more lively. The 8402 has a bit more low level information probably because it's shielded. The 8402 has better upper bass. The 30 awg has better upper mids which adds to its liveliness. Both are very good cables and should work well in most systems. Both the cables get the music right:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the concise description, Prem :thumbsup:

Since my chain is longer, I have to use both Belden 8402 and the new Duelund 30 gauge wire (just to expand on what Prem mentioned in his post above, each of the 26 strands of the 16 gauge cable is a tinned copper wire of 30 gauge).

In my case I run the 30 gauge from buffer to power amp so that it benefits both the digital and analog chains.

I also find that it brings an openness and effortlessness to the sound, and complements the Belden 8402 very well.

I briefly tried a full Duelund chain from phono stage to buffer, and then buffer to power amp. I felt it was an improvement so in future I may build another cable.

Though my sound is a bit light in the bass and not dense in general, the slight deficit of the Duelund in mid bass does not bother me because my current preference is an airier sound overall.

For those who can DIY cables, it is one of the finest cables one can make.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back